Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deezle

Scion Cars

39 posts in this topic

The other oddity down here are the Scion xB's... it seems that every pizza and flower shop is using them as a delivery van.

I wish the Scion xB was sold in Canada...it would be the perfect replacement for our aging Nissan Multi hauler.

Transport Canada says it's importable. I'm sure you could find one here for rather cheap... and parts/maintenance shouldn't be an issue. It shares it's chassis and drivetrain with the Echo.

I actually pondered getting the Hot Lava limited edition, but the dealers were putting USD$8k markups on them.... not worth it. They do rent them in Orlando though... I rented one earlier this year as a moving van. All of the practicality of a small u-haul van, at a fifth of the cost.

Posted Image

I've been seeing more and more of those Scion xBs around Montreal too. Saw one dude with a greyish one that he'd pimped out with lowrider air suspension. Totally cheesy IMO, but hey, it's his ride...

What's a regular xB sell for in the US?

A regular XB retails for US$14,395. However, like Smarts in Canada, all Scions, including the xA and the tC, are usually sold by the time they're at the dealership. You have to order them in advance most of the time.

For reference, here's a pics of the xA and tC

xA:

Posted ImagePosted Image

tC:

Posted ImagePosted Image

I like the xA a lot, but haven't seen any in Canada. There are a ton of xB's floating around Guelph - one of the auto stores along hwy. 7 on the north end of the city usually has 2 xB's on the lot at any time.

-Iain

I've rented the entire Scion lineup at one time or another, and while the xB is really versatile and looks unique, my favorite one from a drivers perspective is the xA. The only reason I got my Nissan Sentra over an xA was money.... the Orlando dealers can't keep them in stock, so when one becomes available, a $3-4k markup is the norm. I was hoping to buy a used one from a Car Rental agency, but even those are scooped up fast. Those are the ones that usually end up getting imported to Canada from what my friends at the auto auction tell me. The tC's are cool, and apparently will end up replacing the Celica, or becoming the next-gen Celica across the world.

It does look as though the xA has much in common with the Echo Hatchback, likely sharing many components and being based upon the same platform.

The xA and xB share the same platform and drivetrain as the Echo. The tC shares a platform with the Toyota Avensis (euro model) but has its own drivetrain, encompassing bits and pieces from Toyota N.A.'s lineup

That's right. I'd heard/read somewhere before that the xB was also based on the Echo. I wonder if they'll update the xB's design now that the new Yaris is out.

Any word on whether the Yaris will be sold in the US?

It's the xA that's based on the Echo, isn't it? The xB is the breadbox microvan thing. Or are they both based on the Echo? I think they're both ugly.

The tC looks nice, but the front end reminds me of a Volvo S40 and the back end reminds me of a Hyundai Tiburon, and for the same price, you can get an Acura RSX.

the xA and xB are both based on the echo (same drivetrain and chassis), and the two of them have almost identical option packages.

The tC has every imaginable influence... BMW Headlights, Volve Grille/Nose, Hyundai Tiburon/Pontiac G6 Taillights, etc. I personally feel its a superior car to the Acura RSX... it's better equipped at a lower price, and has more interior room IMO.

diggin' up an old thread here....

A while back, somebody posted a link to a dealership that imports Scions. I think they were in Guelph but after a solid seach, I can't seem to find it.

Anybody remember who posted it? Iian maybe?

Yes! The dealership is up on Woodlawn (Hwy 7)... I can't think of the name of it, but it's right beside Honda, I think. There are usually at least 2 xB's sitting out front, sometimes one of them is up on the "pedestal" at the front. I sat in an xB at the Detroit Auto Show on Sunday, and I love the thing... it's so sick! The thing inside is absolutely HUGE. It's massive... while it looks like the Element a bit, inside it certainly feels far larger (Element almost feels crowded).

-Iain

Thanks Duck! I thought it was you. While I've never been a fan of huge cars, I thought this beast was pretty hot. If I do need to sell my smart because of a job, this would be a fun alternative. I'll need a USA-compliant four door that I can cart clients around in and this might just be the funk.

If you stumble across that link, please post it when you have a sec.

I'm not sure which link you're looking for? But next time I'm across Woodlawn road I'll jot down the name of the place and see if I can get a phone number for you.

-Iain

xA and xB are legally importable into Canada, not many As as they are just not as cool (My opinion anyway). The tC is not importable into Canada as it differs a lot. They are not that hard to find as discussed but keep an eye on the price as they are not that hard to import so you can often do it cheaper yourself, I almost bought one instead of my ForTwo but I still hope to get a Camo Green Metallic one and mod it in VIP style

if you wanna do a road trip to pick one up in the states and drive it back, let me know.. lol. I'll either be living still in FL, or in Central/Northern Virginia

theres a smart dealership out west (three points?) with one in stock, trade in, with only 3000km on the odo! $23'800 i think!

Yep that would be TPM in Victoria - Barry the smart sales manager was driving around in it the other day. It is sort of a Gun Metal color - didn't impress me much - reminds me of a squashed delivery van.

Cheers,

Cameron

i was just reading scion.com and it seems that any CANADIAN toyota dealer must accept the scion warranty + provide free towing (my grandmother has once again said no smart, but xA or xB are okay)