Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fire_fly88

Error Code help

9 posts in this topic

While traveling in the rain a frend of mine got an error code and check engine light. The scan gauge says P0702. Transmition control electrical system. He gets the three bars and the engine goes limp. Any sugjuestions?

Rain and electrical seems to say it all ...Pull the foam block off the battery and check for any moisture or signs of moisture around the battery box. Any signs of wet carpets? If none of this is applicable, put the car up on a hoist, pull the belly pan, and start checking and cleaning connections. These cars are so full of electronics that loose or corroded connections can cause all sorts of errors.My $.02 worth.MG

Battery box is bone dry. No signes of moisture. I'm thinking it might be the actuater sensor. Where is the sensor located on the car?

I would back my smart onto some ramps to access the clutch actuator click here.

I would then disconnect ,clean, and lube the electrical connection to the clutch actuator first to see if that will solve your problem.

Your dealer would charge a minimal amount to change the sensor if that is your problem.

Good luck!

There's also a gear position sensor. gotta remove the left rear fender liner and loook up by the gear selector motors. After you replace is you must teach in the tranny. this sensor can also cause the three bars of death. It's pretty cheap i think.

Correct! :D My dealer looked that up a couple of months back. The book says .2 hour to replace, and the sensor <$100.The smart I worked on has had no problems since cleaning and lubing(with dielectric grease) the clutch actuator electrical connection and that was back in January.

Correct! :D My dealer looked that up a couple of months back. The book says .2 hour to replace, and the sensor <$100.The smart I worked on has had no problems since cleaning and lubing(with dielectric grease) the clutch actuator electrical connection and that was back in January.

Yup, still no issues with bars!!! The car runs great! ;)

IT WORKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks all I finally had the time today to take the clutch actuator off the car and cleaned it out wow it was very dirty then I filled it with Lithium grease like was suggested to me. when i filled it with the grease and put the rubber back on I clamped it into place as directed but there was a problem, it seems the grease started to expand as soon as I took it off the table and tried to get under the car I guess I was shaking it a little and the part bacame under pressure and started vomiting grease all over my coveralls. So just keep in mind ( NOT TOO MUCH ) anyways I'm new to this site and I think its great. CHEERS!! B)