Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Panda

EVENT: Indianapolis Motor Speedway May 20th

9 posts in this topic

Wednesday May 20th, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, in conjuction with the 500 Festival, is holding "Community Day" at the track. This year is the 100th Anniversary of the Running of the Indianapolis 500.For the FIRST 100 TO RSVP, we will meet at smart center Indianapolis that morning and then drive to IMS. Upon arriving at the track, we will be lead onto the famed 2 1/2 mile oval for a "Lap of the Track". Imagine seeing 100 smarts, all in a row, on the track and having the chance to drive your own smart across the 'yard of brick' at the Start/Finish line!!!Once our lap is completed, we will then proceed to the infield for a picnic/tailgate party, where there will be announcements and doorprizes. Aferwards, there will be tours of the "Hall of Fame Museum", the pit area and an IRL CarHauler.For more info, please contact me at:imbigpanda@yahoo.com

Hey, that sounds like fun. Visited the IMS last year - the museum and gift shop are great and the tour is definitely worthwhile (even for those of us who, despite our interest in cars, don't watch the race as a rule). To drive the track would be fun - I only got to walk on it. Not the Nurburgring, but still pretty impressive.Anybody in Ontario interested if there is still room?Ian

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm on the list. This will be fun. I'll have to watch that turn one since I'm only using skinny conti's on the front.Now I can buy the stuff I didn't buy at the gift shop.IanBTW, the cost of the IMS trip appears to be $7.00 per person. Seven bucks to run on the track is a bargain - the Nurburgring costs a lot more!Our cars get numbers which are assigned by order in which we arrive at the Indianapolis smart centre.vroom, vroom, (albeit @ 25 mph max!)

Edited by ianjay

Anyone else coming from Canada; this should be fun and it's great to have some international visitors. :)

Anyone else coming from Canada; this should be fun and it's great to have some international visitors. :)

If I wasn't going to be down in Georgia at Micros in Madison, I would have been there for sure. Those that attend please take lots of pictures / videos for the rest of us not able to attend.

As the "Co-Host" for the Indy Event, I want to thank each and every smart owner that participated. We had a great turnout, with at least a couple 'smarties' from our friends north of the border. We even had a non-smart owner fly in from Seattle just for this event. Also, I would like to thank smart center Indianapolis, our other Co-Host Walter Grassi...brand manager as well as Linda Pettenaro...owner and of course Mr Russ Hill, V.P. of smart USA who also flew in just to attend our event.This of course was our maiden voyage and we have learned from some of the glitches we encountered. We appreciate everyone's patience and understanding. Our hopes are that the "Second Annual" meet will be even bigger and better.Thanks again to all!

I plan on attending next year!Just happenned to travel through the city a week ago Tuesday and enjoyed the visit. The Memorial in the city centre roundabout was impressive and we ate at a great Mexican restaurant on North Meridian Street.

post-35-1244261376_thumb.jpg

post-35-1244261392_thumb.jpg

Greetings:Yes, they have lots of neat monuments in Indianapolis. I stayed at the Columbia Club which is on the north east quadrant of the circle. The first night, a Duesenberg was parked in front. The smart was a big hit.Driving on the track was fun. I have pictures that I'll try to post soon. The Americans were very impressed with the diesel smart car. I made sure that they were able to hear what a smart is supposed to sound like (just kidding, 451 owners!).I had just driven it down to Florida and made the diversion over to the Indy event on the way back. There were over 120 smart cars at the event at the track. "GOTSMART" was the only 450 and everyone loved the colour (naturally).The dealership was a great host and took very good care of their guests.Trips like this are why I love my smart car,Ian