Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SheepRock

Transmission Upgrade - Goodtimes

12 posts in this topic

I brought my smart car in today for a warranty repair on the heater motor, while I was there they upgraded the transmission firmware thingies. A few observations:

1) according to a person there for the same reason, you need to keep the vents in front of the 451's winshield clear of snow otherwise it gets sucked in and messes up the heater motor. It would stand to reason this goes for bad leaves and other debris, but this is from a customer who heard it from her salesman, so take that with a grain of salt.

2) The transmission upgrade is indeed noticable, and they did it without me asking them to for free - I read that someone paid 8 bucks, but anyway:

- the first gear seems just as slow to change into the second as before, but other gears change quicker

- the paddle does indeed put you in manual mode automatically. its wierd having to put the stick into manual and then back to automatic in order to put things back into auto mode. it should time out after 5 seconds of non use and revert back into auto mode or something. Still, its a great improvement.

- the "creep feature" is all but gone. just leaning on the brake slightly harder is enough to keep it from doing it. great improvement here.

- Absolutely no problems keeping up with traffic now, it seems the "power band" has increased, but I could be wrong. First gear still sucks.

3) the dealer seems to have zero problem with the fact that I have a ScanGuage II installed. I just make sure its unplugged before they get the car, but its obviously there, and they've said nothing over the last 2 visits (last one was my first A service)

Bravo Smart for doing this! They took away 1 reason (creep feature) and almost one reason (speed of transmission) to not like it the smart.

And while im at it, bravo David Morris in Edmonton, Alberta, for not being jerks about the fact that some drivers like to know the water temperature of their car before they start it in -27 C weather!

awesome, sounds like they fixed most of the things i hated about the 451 transmission :)

No creep is a good creep. Except for Radiohead's.

No creep is a good creep. Except for Radiohead's.

lolOK Computer is going in the dashboard tomorrow

There's no heater motor there. Just air passage to the cabin. Should have a combination filter in it.Scangauge is good for all car, MB or other dealers won't mind.

There's no heater motor there. Just air passage to the cabin. Should have a combination filter in it.Scangauge is good for all car, MB or other dealers won't mind.

neat, good thing it was on warranty then, otherwise id be pissed about my invoice :)all I know is when I turned on the fan I got nasty grinding noises.Also, karma police rocks

Grinding sound? Send in to check the fan. Most probably the fan bearing crack/damage. If does, the fan grinding on something there :o

Just hold your upshift paddle for 2 seconds and it will go back to auto mode.

awesome, sounds like they fixed most of the things i hated about the 451 transmission :)

Not really - it still shifts at revs that border on lugging the engine, shifts are still slow, and all the other faults of the auto mode are still evident.The only real changes are the ability to change between auto and manual by using the paddles, and the creep function is modified.If people are going to be using the paddles to change between the different modes then why not just use the paddles to shift in the manual mode? It works much better, you can be in the right gear at the right time, and with proper throttle manipulation the shifts can be very smooth. This reprogramming of the auto mode is more window dressing than anything else. It will take time for the novelty to wear off but when it does people might just be using manual more, and the fact that people will get used to using the paddles may actually be the best benefit to the reprogramming.

I want to know if the 'recall' changed the 'creep' function in any noticable way , on the 2008 smart. Exactly what is the change please?Did it really LESSEN the amount of 'creep feel', or was this just one driver's opinion ? Are the clutches going to wear out at a greater rate even with this change? The clutch is still being slipped a bit in order to have the 'creep', right? I wish a Mercedes- Benz Tech would get in on this conversation.

Edited by PrairieBoy

Just hold your upshift paddle for 2 seconds and it will go back to auto mode.

Ahh, fantastic. thanks!

I want to know if the 'recall' changed the 'creep' function in any noticable way , on the 2008 smart. Exactly what is the change please?Did it really LESSEN the amount of 'creep feel', or was this just one driver's opinion ? Are the clutches going to wear out at a greater rate even with this change? The clutch is still being slipped a bit in order to have the 'creep', right? I wish a Mercedes- Benz Tech would get in on this conversation.

The "creep feel" as you put it is almost entirely gone. Its a very noticeable improvement. I still need to put more pressure on the brakes than on normal cars, but nowhere near what I had to in the past. when putting it in reverse or drive and just letting go of the brakes the car does not accelerate by itself as quickly anymore.I dont know the technicals of damage to the car, but I do know the jerkiness is gone at stoplights, and I never have to put it in neutral anymore to combat it.hope that helps

Thanks for your info on the changes to the 'creep'function. During my brief ownership of an 2008 smart,i felt the creep function did smooth out the driving experience of the smart, as compared with the 2006 cdi.The car accelerated fast off the line, and could actually get ahead of some other vehicles, when the light changed.I did worry about increased clutch wear, over time.I also found under certain conditions,if you didn't push on the brake peddle hard enough, the car would shudder while trying to take off on you.This is probably why smart made the change.It might be interesting to test drive a new 2009 smart, but i don't really want to get sucked in to buying another gas guzzler!This is what i felt the newly redesigned 2008s had become, when compared to the previous cdi model!Many annoying problems with my new 2008, combined with the poorer milage, prompted me to trade in the 2008 on a nearly new 2006 cdi.I do love the new Brabus smarts, though! If it only had the 98HP engine! Maybe.. i'll win the new 10th aniversary smart instead!