Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Commander Cody

Cdr. Cody's thoughts & teachings: Tale of the Tail

11 posts in this topic

The Wondrous Tale:

Smart CARolina's (a Charlotte based smart owners club that includes North & South Carolinians) and others, is looking to have a get-together. It has tentatively been set for Sept. 26 in the mtns. of North Carolina & Tennesee.

The Woeful Tail:

Specifically we are talking about Deals Gap home of the infamous Tail of the Dragon. It's an 11 mile section of mountainous road with 318 curves. Along with family and friends of those who sadly don't make it - survivors will be having a get-together afterward. One of our members is attempting to block off a bunch of rooms in Robbinsville and, possibly, Fontana. A point of reference - Asheville North Carolina is 90 miles to the East so you could stay at The Biltmore or under some overpass.

More of my meaniful thoughts and teachings:

Home is where the smart is. :rolleyes:

Don't let anyone tell you to "talk to the hand" :angry:

Google this: Outsmarting the Dragon event.

Cool! I'd love to drive the Dragon! Hmmmmmm... wife said she reeeeally wants to get to Dollywood. Isn't Pigeon Forge right nearby?

My family's in Greenville, so visiting them is a good excuse to be in the area. :-)

I will be going to the Micros in Madison Georgia show and will drive the Tail of the Dragon on the 16th of May :drive:

Looking forward to the experience!!!! Maybe a repeat in September!

It is good to see that berms are being constructed to make the Tail of the dragon safer.

We loved doin the Tail of the Dragon. I think we had the most photos taken that day. We even bought a map and souvenirs! Next time we are in the area we will do it again.One thing we noticed as we came out on the North side (we were traveling North) it is not as well marked coming into it that way so be on the lookout.I too am also glad they are erecting a few more safety features. there are too many family vans traveling this route.Karen

I was just down ther last week scouting areas to take Blueberry and my wife, probably next month.

If you like peace and quiet try Cades Cove. It is a small valley surrounded by mile high mountains in the National Park.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/cadescove.htm

Also for a great thrill ride go over the Rich Mountian trail which is a well graded dirt road (single track and one way) Talk about life in the raw.

Biltmore is great to visit but pricey. Maximize your dollar get there early and stay till they throw you out. Best Key Lime pie anywhere. We have photos of Blueberry parked outside the house. Impressive.

If this gets organized we would be interested in going back as we love the area and have taken Blueberry 3 times already.

2seat

Home is where the smart is. :rolleyes:

Good to hear that you still have your priorities right, Commander. You've been MIA from our site for a while.

SameGuy - Yep Pigeon forge is right next door.

smart142 - I'm trying to get my brother to head over to Micros - I've been reading some posts about that place.

2seatragtop - This first get-together for smarts on The Dragon may turn into "an event" in the future. I think they are looking to get smart vendors there so we can see their offerings.

deezle - I've been absent (minded).