Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Commander Cody

Better check your new battery w/ the tranny update

7 posts in this topic

I started a fairly large discussion on another website concerning my broken vent on the new battery that was installed along with the other updates on my 451. Take note: there is a good chance that when they installed it they broke the battery vent that exits the top side of the battery. Some say just removing, or re-installing, the carpeting and the spongy covering can crack this thing. Check it out. I obviously wasn't the only one who, on inspecting the new batt, found it broken. :angry:

When I had the 2.0 transmission update they did a number of things and one of them was to replace the previous battery with the new 61 amp batt.

I recently had an Optima RedTop battery installed in my 450. It has no vent, since it's a gel battery, as I understand, so acid leaks, corrosion and explosion hazards are non-issues with it. The 451's battery is supposed to be zero maintenance, but it sounds like it's still a lead acid battery, with the drawbacks of that kind of battery, except for the need to check and replenish the electrolyte level.

His battery was a warranty or re-call type of replacement, so the dealer used whatever they were supposed to use.Useing the 'Optima Red top 'battery would probably be better, but you'll have to convince Mercedes-Benz!

I recently had an Optima RedTop battery installed in my 450. It has no vent, since it's a gel battery, as I understand, so acid leaks, corrosion and explosion hazards are non-issues with it. The 451's battery is supposed to be zero maintenance, but it sounds like it's still a lead acid battery, with the drawbacks of that kind of battery, except for the need to check and replenish the electrolyte level.

Just a point of information - the Optima is not a gel cell, it's an AGM battery - also, it is still a lead acid type but the acid is absorbed into a glass matt. These AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) batteries are sealed, valve regulated, recombinant batteries.

I broke the L-shaped tube off of my battery when I removed the battery myself to take it inside on a -40*C day in January. I took it into the dealer, admitted my idiocy, and they replaced it for something like $1.42. There were other issues at the time but those were unrelated the the battery... this transmission upgrade sounds intriguing! I hope I get a letter and a new battery soon :-)