Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

smart is the featured car at the National Microcar show

32 posts in this topic

I wished I could have been there! So close and yet so far... All the pictures look great. Did anyone get to talk to the museum owner? My favorites at the museum, besides their smart Brabus and Crossover, are the KR200s and TG500s. What an amazing collection that is! Did y'all get to drive any other micro cars at the meet?I also liked all the cars parked at the "smart house"Cheers,Serge

Bruce told us a few stories of how he acquired some of the cars in his collection Sunday afternoon. None of the cars in the collection could be driven this year unfortunately, too many damaged cars last time as I understand it. I am looking forward to the meet in 2011.

I can't beleive a month has passed since coming back from the show. Many memories were made and it was an absolute incredible experience. Mind you the weather could have cooperated a little better that's for sure. When we were down there a storm was centered over Florida and we got showers daily with only 2 good days of sun. However that didn't prevent us from doing everything we wanted to do and there was enough shelter at the show when a shower went through.For those that love micro cars this is an event that you should plan to attend. Bruce Wiener is a gracious and generous host and puts on a first class event. Everything was so well organized and we were treated with lots of southern hospitality. The food and nightly entertainment were particularly good!!I'm sure that Bruce spoke to everyone there and I had the opportunity to thank him in the museum. He then proceeded to tell me more about the smarts he had on display and invited me step behind the ropes for a closer inspection, it was awesome!I thought that the ''smart house'' was a huge success. Liz and I rented a 6 bedroom lakefront house and were joined by William (Huronlad) and Don from California for the week before the show. It was very easy to share accomadtions with such an easy going fellow as William. A wonderful man who loves driving his smart. Wasn't that close to 1000 miles non stop from Seaforth to Madison?Then there was Don. Talk about a character. This was a guy who drove from Oregon to California, then Georgia in his 2006 450 gasser for a total of 3300 miles. Guess who won the longest distance driven to attend the show? And you have to remember that Donald is 77 years young. What a guy! And the stories that he can tell about cars and life were fantastic- he should really write a book or have a movie made about his life :D The night before the show we were joined by Rod( SMARTROD) and his son Luke, and Rob(Cassini75) from Dorchester and Sarnia Ontario respectively. All fitted in nicely to the household and were able to enjoy the show and the comaraderie. A HUGE thanks needs to go to my girlfriend Liz who was able to put up with all the boys for the week :thanx: Mind you, Liz can drink beer with the best of them and won at the only time we played poker :rolleyes: And, I hate to say, was the only one that got ticketed for speeding during the trip :P My one disappointment at the show was the awarding of the trophy for the best smart, as chosen by the people. It was awarded to a 2009 yellow smart painted up with butterflies. Very cute, but I thought that a car savvy crowd might have gone for the museum quality 2002 yellow smart with the striking blue interior, OR the 2006 genuine Brabus that the owner had scooped from a Milan showroom, OR Rod's smart that has had 42 tastefull mods, Don's 450, Rob's ''AMG'', etc,etc,etc....At least the show organizers were able to recognize one individuals dedication to the smart. They presented a special trophy to Leonard Ingle from Tennessee. Leonard had bought a smart ''glider'', went to Germany to buy an engine, transmission, and all the parts necessary to get his smart running. I'm sure MANY hours were spent, with a few headaches, to get that smart on the road. Leonard drove his smart to the show!!!Count me in for 2011 :spots: Oh, and the house was offered to us for 2011, we're on the preferred list :D

Edited by smart142