Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CSCORNWALL

Long Highway Runs OK or Not Recommended

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

We own a 2006 Fortwo Passion Diesel with approximately 36,000km. I love this car and the only problem we had was an electrical glitch which involved getting a wire fixed in the battery box. (As an aside, I found out about the problem on this forum and was much better informed when I went to the dealer!).My wife and I were talking about taking this on a couple of road trips and I was wondering if this vehicle is properly suited for that or are they more of a in-town type of car.I have taken it on the highway but not much further than 200KM at a time, but this year we were planning a trip to Belleville (~240KM), Niagra Falls (+400KM) and finally we thought of making our winter pilgramage to Florida (+2,500 KM).Does anyone have any feedback if this is a good idea or not? Are the little engines up to running for 8-10 hours a day at highway speeds or would that kill them? Is there a recommended maximum distance per trip / day etc?Any information / experiences welcome and appreciated.Michael

Edited by CSCORNWALL

Last summer I drove straight from Seaforth Ontario down to just west of Valdosta GA, about 20 hours total, just stopping for fuel, food and a wee nap in Tennessee. Drove mostly at night, the car just purred along on the interstate.8-10 hours per day should be fairly comfortable to be in the smart.As far as the engine goes as with most other cars, highway running causes the least wear and tear.

Edited by Huronlad

Drives great on the highway! Drove around the great lakes the summer of 2005, 5,000kms, no problems. Only issue was in some of the states where the speed limit was 70mph. Not the best mileage at that speed. We brought our camping stuff, tent, chairs etc and camped at the Oshkosh airshow. Think we got more attention than many of the airplanes.

Well, they really are designed as a city car. At 120 km/hr, my smart and my Mazda3 GT get the same fuel economy! Also, I would recommend ear plugs for longer highway drives, our cars can be very loud at highway cruising.....

Edited by MightyMouseTech

They may have been designed for city driving, but they work great on the highway. Especially at speeds from 90 to 110 km/h.

the ear plugs idea is a good tip. We have a convertible, I'm going to give them a try. Thanks Mightymouse.

The smart performs very well on the highway. I've gone on many long trips and find the seats very comfortable!!One time I drove from Cortez Florida to Norfolk Virginia- 855 mi – about 13 hours 47 mins- in one day!Enjoy your trip! :D

Edited by smart142

City Car Performance: AcceptableHighway Car Performance: ExceptionalI'd say 75% of my car's 230 000+ km were highway, and it's fantastic. The only time it's better is on country roads, with lots of twists...The little cdi just loves long, warm drives.-Iain

When you stop to eat / refuel just make sure you give the turbo time to spool down before you shut the car off. Drafting 2 or 3 car lengths behind transports will also help with fuel economy, as long as you are willing to only go 55 or 65 MPH.

the ear plugs idea is a good tip. We have a convertible, I'm going to give them a try. Thanks Mightymouse.

No problem. Learned that trick with my old VW Rabbit, which was basically a full racecar with plates. If I didn't wear earplugs, the interior was so loud it would actually make me sick to my stomach after a long drive. Earplugs make a huge difference on long drives, just feel sooooo much less stressed. And you can actually hear the important stuff like sirens and horns better because they block out all the background noise but still allow you to hear the important noises.

Be aware that there is no parts or service support for the smart diesel in the USA. The roadside assistance is not valid there. Join CAA and get their "Plus" package. Carry a spare set of engine belts with you and a spare wheel/tire, and ideally have your dealer in Canada on standby to send parts to wherever they may be needed in the unlikely event that you do have a breakdown.

Driving in the city is actully harder on the engine than a constant highway ride. Of course it depends on how fast you drive. Speed limits are no problem whatsoever.The hardship will not be on the car, it will be on you. Some claim this car is comfortable for long drives but that depends on what you're used to and the types of roads you're driving on. I find this car suitable for short to medium length driving but drives longer than several hours are tiring for several reasons - seats are not the most comfortable for long periods of time, the car tends to wander in side winds and also tramlines, the suspension is harsh, it is not the quietest car on the road. It also leaves a little to be dsires as far as luggage capacity is concerned. It will do of course, but my choice of for long drives would be something else.

Edited by fortow

I think it comes down to body geometry and that we're all built differently. I've sat in cars that were supposed to be super-comfy and come out sore; I've sat in others that were junkers basically and been far more comfortable.But you're right - the suspension and road noise of the smart is what gets you over time. Especially those highways in the states that are concrete, with the evenly-spaced cuts that you seem to drop right into once per second... tha-thunk, tha-thunk, tha-thunk... for an hour on end... argh!!-Iain

thank you all, this thread has helped me out as well, as im going to GA for the micro car show, will carry a winter tire as a spare, not ideal, but its all i got, and new belts are going on next week,

Thanks for all the data. I actually find the car significantly more comfortable that others that I have ridden in. My only complaint is that I don't have the cruise control so my foot gets tired. I guess well try it out going to Niagra Falls in August and then see what we think before making the Florida trip next February.Thanks again!

If you are going to be travelling on the highway in your cabriolet with the top down, i recomend buying the optional 'anti air circulation bulkhead' part number:0005847V004000000...cost:$120.85 plus tax.This is really a mesh screen that easily mounts behind the seats and in between the 'roll-bar' sides. it can be left in place with the top up , or down. It it supposed to reduce wind buffeting,( and keep your hair in place)I havn't actually used mine yet, but will be installing as soon as it warms up..

When I drove around the great lakes I quickly realized I needed cruise control. My leg was starting to have spasms. I was considering getting a rock from the side of the road or a stick and wedge the gas peddle down somehow.The turn indicator cruise control is really nice. You don't have to turn it on, just tap the end and it holds your speed. Tap to stop it or hit the brakes. If you are running in automatic it still works but sometimes you have to switch to manual to get it into 6th if you're driving a little slow. We use it quite often, even for 10 minutes or so. I installed it myself, I was a bit nervous doing it but it worked out fine. Mercedes said nothing about the install or the Bord computer. If you buy one and need help I'm in Ile Perrot and don't mind to help.cheers

Another option for CC is the TAN type, and there's a guy not far from Cornwall (actually MTL) who does it. One way or another, get cruise for any long trip.

This remark is not so much for the fellow that wants to go to GA or FL, but more for us that drive out West (does not matter USA or Canada): Fuel stations may be few and far between. We found that out on our trip to Alberta a few years ago. There maybe a name at a crossroads on a map, but when you get there, there is NOTHING. Rather painful when your bottom dot has flashed to 2.5 liters !! Of course, us diesel drivers can always hail a trucker and be a real HOSER. Service-wise I found that long distance appears to lengthen the service interval and I made it just over 8000 km. Take a spec sheet of the car with you, as almost all stops meant a "Sales-Talk" ...........!! (Maybe less now, now that the car is imported in the US)

Yep. Best mod I've done to the smart, and my knee is grateful. Last week I drove 580 Km to Hamilton on Friday, 280 Km to Erie, PA on Saturday morning, then 800+ Km home on Sunday. I used the cruise about 80% of the time. Around town I also use it about 80% of the time.

I was thinking of doing the Florida run also at some point but I really would like to get my cruise enabled. I have already installed the OEM hardware but I still need to acquire a TAN and have it activated. Who and where is the closest place to Windsor Ontario to get this done? Can the SAM just get sent away for a few days or do I have to make an unplanned trip somewhere?...Gord

I am burning to take my first road trip of the year! The smart is such a good highway cruiser.

I was thinking of doing the Florida run also at some point but I really would like to get my cruise enabled. I have already installed the OEM hardware but I still need to acquire a TAN and have it activated. Who and where is the closest place to Windsor Ontario to get this done? Can the SAM just get sent away for a few days or do I have to make an unplanned trip somewhere?...Gord

No M-B dealer in this country will activate the cruise with a transaction number, so you will either have to drive to Montréal or Richmond BC! The whole car has to be there.

Hi, cousins!

I agree that the smart is a gr8 little cruiser on the highway. I have driven several 1600 km+ trips, and daily drive 280km trips. Especially on long trips, the smart seats are even more comfortable than my MB C280 and 300CDT.

Cruise control: I do have cruise control installed in Digory and highly recommend it to anyone planning long trips. The throttle is "fly-by-wire" and the spring on the pedal is quite an opponent after a few hundred klicks.

Spare tire: I am only 5ft 9in tall, and with the seat in my optimum comfort spot, I can firmly wedge-in the spare tire behind the driver seat. I have it in a wheel cover I bought from www.tirerack.com. Like many here, I use a Winter front as the spare.

Jack: Besides the spare tire, dont forget to get a small jack. I paid $5.00USD for an unused one from a Suzuki at a salvage yard. I have the jack wrapped in a strip of hook-side velcro, with the hooks on the outside. I placed it under the passenger seat, carefully, to not damage the air bag/heated seat wiring, and it rides quietly and securely there.

Breaker bar/15mm socket: You should also get a breaker bar and a 15mm deep-well socket, for the lug bolts.

Fire Extinguisher: I have a spray-can type of fire extinguisher just in front of the jack, also secured with velcro.

Spare drive belts: Lastly, I also agree with the recommendation to carry a pair of drive belts. It took a week to get a set of these to Mississippi from Canada, and that was using overnight FedEx! Customs is quite slow to/from Canada I've found...

Enjoy your trips!!!!

Done Montreal to Tennessee 2 times now. 12hrs drive to Haggerstown MA for the first night. No problems with the seat at all. The best ever experienced.No cruise on the first trip and found very painful knee after several hours against the spring in the throttle. Cruise fitted for the 2nd trip and couldn't have been better. Great mod.This car is great for long trips. Can't wait for the next opportuninity