Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
strawboss

Spare tire mount

18 posts in this topic

But pretty close.First thing you need is to find a traffic post, U-channel type....I found mine in the vacant lot behind my house!Second, order 2 SS bumper bolts from SmartieParts.Third, cut it to size...A grinder is really handy....post-6231-1242180957_thumb.jpgThe neat thing is the holes in the post line up perfectly for mounting!post-6231-1242181286_thumb.jpgThen just bolt it up with 6" carriage bolts....post-6231-1242181416_thumb.jpgFinished, I used liquid lockwasher on all threads!Just have to find a cover.

Posted (edited) · Report post

No offence meant, but i don't like the rear mounted spare on a smart.It's like putting a 'continental kit' on a Volkswagen beetle!

Edited by PrairieBoy

None taken, I didn't set out to emulate a certain design, I just didn't want my spare in the passenger compartment. Maybe my tire cover will have a HappyFace logo. :D

It's better than paying for one, which ends up looking the same! Can you open the tailgate much?

I haven't tried, but I don't think so.I thought of hinging it on one side but that's a job for another day, I still have to recharge my AC!

I like members who think and recycle. LOL I can picture you out back gazing at the junk behind your yard and saying to "yourself now what can I do with that".. ;) How low does it hang? I bet it will make neat tracks in the snow. "Hey Martha what kind of a vehicle makes that impression?".. An old guy driving behind but can't see the smart. sorry it's early, off my meds. :rolleyes: good jobKaren

Just curious, are the sides of the mount held by the threaded hols in the crash bar?

Sorry just answered my own question after taking a second look at the pics. I wonder how fast the holes in the crash bar will deform with the weight of your spare tire bouncing up and down on them. They are only spft aluminum you know, and meant fot a straight pull. Not for lateral tension. Just my $.02.

Looks practical enough!

Have you seen these wheel covers on www.tirerack.com? $19.99 USD for a pair, plus S/H, of course...

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail...ETOTE&ID=62

They call them "tire totes". They adjust to different size wheel/tires. I have one on my spare, which I keep behind the driver's seat. Being 5''9" tall allows me to wedge it in there and still be optimally comfortable.

I think Bil Gladstone had a yellow cover with a smiley face... Bil?

Sorry just answered my own question after taking a second look at the pics. I wonder how fast the holes in the crash bar will deform with the weight of your spare tire bouncing up and down on them. They are only spft aluminum you know, and meant fot a straight pull. Not for lateral tension. Just my $.02.

This is something that other owners have brought up on other forums too, I will be keeping an eye on them for just this possibility & if need be I'll drill right through the aluminum to attach mild steel backing plates, hopefully the metal is strong enough to accept a 35 lb load, if not I'll be the first with big steel eyebolts keeping my spare company :)

I like members who think and recycle. LOL I can picture you out back gazing at the junk behind your yard and saying to "yourself now what can I do with that".. ;) How low does it hang? I bet it will make neat tracks in the snow. "Hey Martha what kind of a vehicle makes that impression?"..good jobKaren

I lucked out on the clearance, it sits a couple of inches above the crankcase oil filter area so all should be well.

i would recommend you using rubber or something to isolate the steel from touching the aluminum,if this is a long term mod. If you remember back in the mid 80's bumpers falling off cars, it was due to the steel plates sandwiching the aluminum bumper causing electrolysis. The steel would actually rot the aluminum and they fell off around the metal plates. I would hate to see your tire fall off, wrecking the bumper and what ever else goes with it

Yeah, I remember that too,the aluminum acted like a sacrificial anode like steel boat hulls use to reduce corrosion.If I resort to a mild steel plate doubler I'll have too deal with it, hopefully the stainless bumper bolts are inert enough.

You might want to put some rubber backing on that iron to protect the paint underneath, especially as you'll be removing the tire frequently to load the tailgate!I just went with RideOn TPS fluid in my tires instead of fixing flats. So far so good, but I've never been a flat victim anyway.

Actually the bar stands clear of the bodywork so no rubbing occurs,& as for removing the spare the only time I've found it neccesary is to access the engine, groceries & such load through the window hatch :)

neat mod! It'd be interesting t see one that can swing down and out of the way of the trunk opening. Cabrios open the bottom before the window opens so I can't have this mod :( haha but I really *should* carry a spare around with me.Looks like it suits your needs perfectly! How long have you had it on your car?

A week now & all's well, I decided to do this after I blew a tire in January.( tire goop? it was a split!)Had the dog with me & the cabbie refused us as she would "mess up his car".$110.00 for the tow... :huh:

It's been a month now & so far so good.No signs of loosening & I have found the hatch opens enough with the spare in place to allow me to remove the engine cover plate.Oh, and I removed the big novelty key on the back!One person noticed (a stranger) & said that I should've left it on!Added a black vinyl cover to add to the Continental Look! :P

Edited by strawboss