Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
minifreak

Smart car & Baby seat

6 posts in this topic

Hi,My wife and I are expecting our first baby at the end of the year. And since she is staying home with the baby while I goto work, we were wondering about her smartie and the baby. The wife worries she can't put a baby seat in her smartie due to the airbag. I did a quick Google search and found the following:

The smart fortwo features highly efficient restraint systems that meet Mercedes-Benz's passive safety standards. Infant or children restraint systems (booster, infant or child seat) can be affixed properly to the passenger seat by means of the safety belt. A ratchet mechanism locates the tightly pulled safety belt and holds the infant/child restraint system in position. Please note that laws relating to the use and installation of infant or children restraint systems vary by jurisdiction. You will need to review the laws applicable to you prior to installing and using infant or children restraint systems in your smart fortwo.An electronically controlled system will detect the weight of the occupant on the passenger seat or the installation of a child restraint system. The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) determines the appropriate mode of the dual stage full size front airbag deployment. For very young passengers for whom an airbag deployment could mean a serious risk, the front and side airbags will be deactivated. A control lamp in the center of the roof panel will show this clearly. Always check the control lamp to make sure the airbags are deactivated for very young passengers.

But I am not sure if there are any other regulations in Canada, and specially in BC regarding this issue? Does anyone here use the baby seat in their smart car? Thanks,-John

I believe you may only use a child seat in the newer 2008 or 2009 smarts.You can NOT use these child seats in the 'Diesel ' smarts, or smarts 2005,2006,(or 2007's).Smart did not really make a 2007 smart,although some may have been sold as 2007's.

Is it because the way the airbag system is designed? Hmmm, time to find a bigger car for the family.Thank you for your response. :D

Sunny Day!

Here are a couple of web pages you will want to read. The pretty much give the same information.

http://surrey.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?lang...;contentId=5270

http://www.williamslake.ca/index.asp?p=114

They are specifically for BC. The newer Smarts only activate the passenger air bags (2 of them) when the weight of the passenger exceeds a certain limit. You will know this has happened from the display at the top of the windshield. Check out your owner's manual for details.

Carl

www.mysundial.ca

Thanks Carl,I should've read the manual from the very start. It's written right in there. Ours is an 06 so it's a no go.

Posted (edited) · Report post

For infant you have to use rear facing car seat. And rear facing car seat is not allowed to be installed on the front seat.My kid is 3.5 years old and I installed a forward facing car seat on my 451. The air big deactivated light will lit up automatically

Edited by minImANia