Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Molly47

Driving a SMART in the snow...

31 posts in this topic

Are you for real? My wife did her undergrad @ Western and the only reason I enjoyed making the treck to London during winter was that there was no SNOW!!!5 London winters = 1 Ottawa Fall. :D

I guess this was my imagination :D

post-35-1245456563_thumb.jpg

post-3164-1245506120_thumb.jpg :D hi drove mine all winter in vancouver even those snowy days around christmas. i have snow tires on steel wheels for the winter to increase the weight . i also put two 15kg round disc from my weight set in the bacl in each of the corners . keep a small shovel . don't have heated seats but find the heat not too bad . once the car warms up i leave the setting on defrost . on the panel all the way to the right then move back one spot. this heat the window and also your feet . you hav eto have boots on and dress for winter . in my van you don't worry it a 4.5 litre motor puts out lots of heat . thesmart goes well in the snow shift up quick get in 2 or 3 and don't get too many rpm on the motor or will spin the tires . hold 2 on the down hills and watch out for the nuts in the 4x4 with summer tires and enjoy driving the car. my route has me going up the hill in new westmister and up to my place near the westwood golf club lots of hills to go up and makes it. stopped to over a 4x4 a ride home last winter when he got his audi stuck declined the drive and had :angry::angry: reply . nice 4x4 but summer tires won't work in two inches of snow .

Are you for real? My wife did her undergrad @ Western and the only reason I enjoyed making the treck to London during winter was that there was no SNOW!!!5 London winters = 1 Ottawa Fall. :D

Not quite. London is in the snow belt and usually gets a healthy dump of snow. I believe London's long term average is somewhere between 200-220 cm (depending on the site you are looking at) while the wiki for Ottawa quotes 235cm as the long term average. Pretty close....maybe the southerners aren't quite so soft afterall...For what its worth, my 450 is my only 4 wheeled vehicle and I've had very little problems with it in three winters apart from nonexistant heat for the the first few minutes and trouble with very deep snow. I think I have only got stuck twice...both this past winter and on my own street.cheersgarth Edited by garthD

post-3164-1245506120_thumb.jpg i also put two 15kg round disc from my weight set in the bacl in each of the corners .

John, unless those discs are secured they could kill you in a rollover accident!

I think it was earlier this year. There was a local accident of which a young girl was killed. It was a low speed impact (Like 40km/h). Which was not possible to kill her. Investigator found her fatal impact was from the back of her skull. They also found a broken laptop with her blood stain on it. The impact of the lap top matches the indentation to her skull. So the theory is that she have a hard loose object seating in the back of her car; and it flew forward and hit her head from behind when she slows down. Another time, a customer had a piece of 2x4 smash the windshield from the inside under braking. It was fair low speed. The lamination prevent the lumber flying to the street.

I guess this was my imagination :D

Glenn,I think you've got more pictures of my car than I do! :lol: