Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BRABUS451

Top 5 Canadian cars that hold their value

24 posts in this topic

Yet another bit of dubious journalism. Between mixing US prices ($13000 for a Japanese compact? $17K for a MINI??) for top four cars and the Canadian price for the smart, and not actually quoting any "fourth year value" data, how is this to be trusted?

Poor article but likely painting a true picture. Smart will hold it's value even more as fuel prices climb back up (which they certainly will --- oil being a non-renewable resource).

Regular gasoline is up to $1.14 here today. It was as low as 87¢ last month.

I tend to agree with that list though..... smarts have held on fairly well, a bit of a dive late last year, but they are stil fetching 12-15 if not over 80,000 kmsMazda3 at the top - that I can attest to - I looked and looked for a good deal on a 5 speed months ago, but none to be had (IMO).... for the 17k a nicely equipped one was going for, I have a Volvo S40... and a Volvo mechanic in town too...

I tend to agree with that list though..... smarts have held on fairly well, a bit of a dive late last year, but they are stil fetching 12-15 if not over 80,000 kms

Maybe things have changed in the last couple of months but the trade-in value last year and the first part of the is year for a 2005 smart was pretty low.

I tend to agree with that list though..... smarts have held on fairly well, a bit of a dive late last year, but they are stil fetching 12-15 if not over 80,000 kmsMazda3 at the top - that I can attest to - I looked and looked for a good deal on a 5 speed months ago, but none to be had (IMO).... for the 17k a nicely equipped one was going for, I have a Volvo S40... and a Volvo mechanic in town too...

Tell that to my dealer. I took it in just to see what they were offering. They wanted $14,500 for a 2008 passion cpe.

Posted (edited) · Report post

They wanted 14.5 K or were offering it as a trade??

Edit: crap spelling!

Edited by Mike T

They wanter 14.5 K or were offering it as a trade??

They wanted 12K claiming that's what they got at an auction for another smart as well as an older smart (I called BS on that one cause the old one was a diesel and I've seen them selling for omre than $12k esp. the passion models). They "worked" on it and came up with $14.5K as trade-in value. What do you think?

What did it cost you at the time?Generally going for a private sale will be more rewarding.

I think the offer is fair, you can probably sell private for good $2-3k higher, but then you pay by your own time and effort. Dealers have costs and they need to make money to stay in business, don't expect a great trade in value from them, unless you buy an expensive vehicle with a huge margin where they can recoup the "loss" on the trade in some other way. It all depends on what YOU are comfortable with... BTW, why sell???

Blackbook value for our smart is about $11 000 it seems (a bit lower because we don't have factory air. Stupid lying dealership that sold it to me said it did.) Anyhow, we are keeping a keen eye on this as we are going to give up the smart sooner than we anticipated (it doesn't fit a car seat!). By looking at autotrader and kijiji we are hoping we would be able to sell it for at least $13 000 or trade it in for at least $10 000 (if we absolutely had to)Does low mileage help resale value? We only have 55 000 on the car....

Recently paid $11,500 for this '05 Passion Cabrio with 52,000 K on it Looks like it just came out of the showroom!! Heated Leather seats, AC, etc, - no paddles. 4 snows on steel rims included. A few weeks of warranty left....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What did it cost you at the time?Generally going for a private sale will be more rewarding.

About $19,500Oh I know. I just wanted to make sure it's a fair trade

I think the offer is fair, you can probably sell private for good $2-3k higher, but then you pay by your own time and effort. Dealers have costs and they need to make money to stay in business, don't expect a great trade in value from them, unless you buy an expensive vehicle with a huge margin where they can recoup the "loss" on the trade in some other way. It all depends on what YOU are comfortable with... BTW, why sell???

Ok, if it's fair, then I'm ok with it. I'll try to sell it privately (anybody want one?)I'm upgrading to my dream car - 2010 Prius.

Better consider getting the extended warranty before yours expires.

There seems to be a difference of opinion on this. Some posters are saying it's not worth it, I'm inclined to agree with them.

Better consider getting the extended warranty before yours expires.

for the smart? but it still has 3 years/67,000km left.

I got $15,899.38(?) on a trade for my 2006 CDI Passion Cabriolet with 13,000 kilo's on it.I traded it in on a new Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX-L SUV.

I'm upgrading to my dream car - 2010 Prius.

I sort of sat in one of those on Friday, a whole lot less room for the driver in a Prius than in the smart.

I got $15,899.38(?) on a trade for my 2006 CDI Passion Cabriolet with 13,000 kilo's on it.I traded it in on a new Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX-L SUV.

Well a cabrio would go for more. Ok, it looks like my trade-in value is fair

I sort of sat in one of those on Friday, a whole lot less room for the driver in a Prius than in the smart.

You mean front passenger legroom? oh yeah. Not a lot of cars can beat that lol. You'll need an Avalon or a Grand Marquis or even a full-size SUV to get that kind of legroom. Shoulderroom is better though.

Not enough head room, not enough leg room. As soon as I sat inside and the sale person and I discovered that the driver's seat was all the way back, the sales person stated, "Well that doesn't work does it?". So no test drive for me. We then shot the breeze for 30 minutes or so. The Toyota dealers/sale force have no official word on when the IQ may or may not come to North America. Corporate apparently keeps them in the dark as a rule. The sales person was very happy that the Scion brand was coming to Canada, so they would have a two door coupe (tC) to sell again that is better looking than a Yaris.