Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adelaide J.

Headlights

22 posts in this topic

I have heard everybody complain about the short life of there headlight bulbs and it now has happened to me with my 2006 pulse. I have just over 60000km on it and my pasenger bulb has blowen. Just a quick question, are they covered under the 4 year/80000km warrantyTIA John :)

60,000? That might be a record.No warranty, they extended it from 20k to 40k after complaints, but that's it.

I have owned the pulse since about 21000km last june and never had a bulb bloe till now. I guess a trip to CTC is next. Thanks Alex

Jeez! We're at 84,000 k and I must have replaced 10 bulbs. Too bad I never thought of warranty. Count yourself lucky.Carl

60,000 km and you're only changing a bulb now??? I wish I could brag like that. I changed my first bulb at 15,000 (and then every 5,000 after until the 50,000 mark)and the dealer wouldn't warranty it because I was over 1 year old. You can be sure I never went back to that dealer. The current bulb has been in for over 20,000 and so far so good.

My headlights have lasted a while too. Got the car at 33 000, end of October 07, replaced the headlight earlier this year, at something like 70 000. No headlight issues since, now at 84 000 (Although I did have to replace a turn signal - why does no one carry those bulbs?!)

Well I just changed my passenger low beam and tried the vent thing but ended up taking the front pannell off. Boy what a lot of fun just to change a bulb. Put a H7 I got from napa for $14. Noticed my coolant down a little and just wondering if I can top it off with the green stuff or do I need a special type.Thanks John :huh:

Ya Idid buy 2 Just to have a spare but the dutch in me says I will wait to see how long the other one will go for

Euro turn signal mod and disable DRL's :2cents: , less changes for sure!!

I agree with Uncle Glenn - after the modification, I haven't had to change headlights as often. The downside is that it gets a lot dirtier under the bodywork between changes.Ian

The smart is a throw-away car. all the parts are cheaply made. I have 15,000k on my car and have had to take it in 5 times, twice for lights. the second time I came in for a light (first was a headlight, second a taillight) they told me I didn't have a warranty anymore (David Morris in Edmonton)buy a smart, drive it for the 100 or so kilometers you wont have any problems with it, and then from there you're on your own until you get frustrated enough to buy a different car.The gimmick just isnt worth the cost, but its still an insanely fun car to drive, if you can afford it.Mercedes quality - it sure as hell isn't.

Euro turn signal mod and disable DRL's :2cents: , less changes for sure!!

Good idea Glenn.Did that 50K ago. Now at 52K and I haven't had to change a bulb yet.

About 30,000KM on mine with just routine maintenance and I drive somewhat 'enthusiastically'... some cars are duds while others are not. Not to say that the smart is uber-reliable, but who chooses a 2-seater, 40HP, tiny car other than those that like the quirkiness?ALL cars are throw away! Why would manufacturers make a product that LASTS... that would make fewer return buyers. I've had MANY other cars that were much less reliable... to the point of being expecting problems each time I entered the car...

The smart is a throw-away car. all the parts are cheaply made. I have 15,000k on my car and have had to take it in 5 times, twice for lights. the second time I came in for a light (first was a headlight, second a taillight) they told me I didn't have a warranty anymore (David Morris in Edmonton)buy a smart, drive it for the 100 or so kilometers you wont have any problems with it, and then from there you're on your own until you get frustrated enough to buy a different car.The gimmick just isnt worth the cost, but its still an insanely fun car to drive, if you can afford it.Mercedes quality - it sure as hell isn't.

About 30,000KM on mine with just routine maintenance and I drive somewhat 'enthusiastically'... some cars are duds while others are not. Not to say that the smart is uber-reliable, but who chooses a 2-seater, 40HP, tiny car other than those that like the quirkiness?ALL cars are throw away! Why would manufacturers make a product that LASTS... that would make fewer return buyers. I've had MANY other cars that were much less reliable... to the point of being expecting problems each time I entered the car...

You know, you're right. I take it back.I just wish the quirkiness wouldnt kick in for at least a couple of years.... similar price on an american model might sell for less in the future, but at least the radio still worked after the first year.

I just posted in the general forum that the MB dealership in Windsor just received a notice that headlamps should always be replaced in pairs. I appologize for posting here also but I did not see this post until after :) My thoughts are that possibly the lamps are like batteries. A bad battery can quickly drain a new battery in an electronic device. Any thoughts?Catherine

No, they only recommend doing it in pairs for reasons of practicality (to the dealer). Old bulbs that still work are 100% fine!

Practicality AND profit! They make more money suckering customers in to buying two new bulbs.

Anyone know if the DRL can be disabled on Canadian model with Keyfob and Lightswitch stalk as per European model?