Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

Clearing the Airbag Light

40 posts in this topic

I reiterate "$158.00 for shipping!".

Yes, and $80 for each extra item. The Chinese make lots of money on the shipping, let alone the sale of the actual product! Very frustrating for North American customers. :angry:

Not necessarily true, one or more of them MAY not fire, depending upon the nature of the problem that triggered the light in the first place. If a fault in one airbag was able to shut the three "good ones" off, the lawyers would be ALL OVER smart. That's not how they work, thankfully.Edit: I wrote a bad word instead of "shut".

Edited by Mike T

Yeah, I don't buy that either (light on = no bags). My light came on because of the famous "loose wire" thing going on under the driver's seat... it makes no sense for the ECU to not even try to fire a bag because of that fault.-Iain

Yeah, I don't buy that either (light on = no bags). My light came on because of the famous "loose wire" thing going on under the driver's seat... it makes no sense for the ECU to not even try to fire a bag because of that fault.-Iain

Actually, it does make sense. Any fault anywhere in the system, and the entire SRS system shuts down.That is why in the owners manual, it says if the SRS light comes on, pull the vehicle over immediately and do not drive till repaired. Edited by MightyMouseTech

No it doesn't shut down, there is just uncertainty about which bags may work and which ones won't. So yes it makes sense to park the car, but no it does not shut the entire system off. This info from a MB Tech at TPM 4years ago.......

No it doesn't shut down, there is just uncertainty about which bags may work and which ones won't. So yes it makes sense to park the car, but no it does not shut the entire system off. This info from a MB Tech at TPM 4years ago.......

But if there is a fault in the system and the airbags are left active, the wrong airbags may fire, or fire when they are not supposed to. That could be extremely dangerous.I guess I would not be willing to risk my life and my passengers life over what some tech said 4 years ago. I actually had a MB tech tell me our cars do not have a clutch.......... if it was me, I would have the system reset/repaired as soon as possible.I have seen cars in accidents where the SRS light was on due to a faulty seat belt buckle switch, and none of the airbags went off. Edited by MightyMouseTech

Haha, that's awesome then, since Oakville sent me merrily on my way after not clearing my light when I didn't want to pay to have them solder the connector together. They said it'd be fine.Guess I better get on that.-Iain

Haha, that's awesome then, since Oakville sent me merrily on my way after not clearing my light when I didn't want to pay to have them solder the connector together. They said it'd be fine.Guess I better get on that.-Iain

If they say "It'd be fine", I would get them to put it in writing on a proper work order saying that the SRS system will operate as normal in a collision. Then I might trust them.

I don't think they could clear the light if the fault still exists; you have to fix that connection before clearing the light.

My understanding is that one, single, brief intermittent break in that wire by jiggling the connection will "trip" the light to come on. So, in ~250 000 km, it happened once to me and the light came on. I could get them to clear it, and I'd probably never see it again... but they printed off the instructions on how to fix it since they a lot of money (don't remember the exact amount) to do it, and all they do is hard-wire it by removing the connector and soldering it. Then they reset the code.It's not like the connector being there causes the problem, it's the slight possibility that a wiggle in a certain way or hitting a bump just right is enough to jar it to cause the drop.-Iain

I am also going through the same thing.I did not do anything, the light just came on.MB Burlington first says high resistance on connector.So $220 because my car is 30 days out of the 4 year warranty period.I scream bloody murder as this is not a fault of mine, but a fault of MB and should be a recall issue, as light on = no airbags. And the fact that many other people are having the same issue means that this is a very common problem, means this is a MB problem not mine. Therefore this should be repaired at their cost not mine.I also said that I'm glad MB feels that $220 is more important then my safety.That was Saturday, today I get a phone call from MB Burlington, they said they could goodwill the connector at 100% and labour at 50% which brings the total now to $90.75 that's better but not good enough.Time to take this further.

just had mine come on tonight. sitting in the parking lot of work an turned the wheel an the light comes on. i can do the fix under the seat no problem but theres no way id be paying 220 to have the light off. guess ill pull the bulb then.