Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

CCV recirculating catch tank

104 posts in this topic

With the EGR out of the way, there would be sufficient room for this catch tank, yes?

With the EGR out of the way, there would be sufficient room for this catch tank, yes?

Depends... just removing the actuator head won't be enough (I think). But if you did a complete EGR-ectomy, removing the entire mix-housing assembly, yeah that would do it.

I am thinking some morning I may wake up and discover someone(maybe elves) have performed an "EGR-ectomy" on my car. I will have to re-read through the EGR thread for the specifics on the EGR bypass circuit that was worked up and leave a schematic for said elves.

Hmm, I still have mine sitting here (the EGR bypass circuit I soldered up) - I should plug it in with all this starting trouble I'm having and see if it makes any difference.-Iain

I am thinking some morning I may wake up and discover someone(maybe elves) have performed an "EGR-ectomy" on my car. I will have to re-read through the EGR thread for the specifics on the EGR bypass circuit that was worked up and leave a schematic for said elves.

Just make sure the Gremlins don't get ahold of it first ;)

Has anyone ordered and installed 42's Ultimate or Stealth Catch Can? I think someone said they had trouble with ordering as the site would not allow the entering of a Canadian mailing address. I am willing to be the guinea pig for this can, so which should I order? The Stealth or the Ultimate?

Has anyone ordered and installed 42's Ultimate or Stealth Catch Can? I think someone said they had trouble with ordering as the site would not allow the entering of a Canadian mailing address. I am willing to be the guinea pig for this can, so which should I order? The Stealth or the Ultimate?

My stealth version should be here soon. I'll post up pictures to show the size and scale, as it's hard to get a clear idea from the web site. If/when you order, email John Pelton: sales[at]42draftdesigns.com along with your address and he will reply with your total in USD, then you can send payment with PayPal.Cheers,Bil :senile:

Thanks for the ordering tip. :) Its a mystery to me why 42 doesn't place the dimensions (width and height) on their website.

This thing is huge... almost the size of a can of Foster's Lager!

3" diameter x 7" height

construction is all 304 stainless steel

3/4" I.D. hose barbs

1/4 NPT drain

12oz reservoir

welded bracket for mounting to a vertical or horizontal support

fully powder-coated (or brushed stainless)

3-day delivery to British Columbia / 2 days to Toronto

Posted Image

More pix here: LINKY

:scratch: Now where to put it!?

Bil :senile:

Just make sure the Gremlins don't get ahold of it first ;)

No real fear of Gremlins. Bored teenage vandals that derive pleasure from throwing food at and forcefully removing fuel doors from poor defenseless cars are quite a different matter all together.

Bil, how does the canister compare in size to the EGR?

It's bigger.Anyway, now I'm stymied. I was trying to move the EDG/EGR to get more room but haven't managed to figure out what to do.I'm hoping that a few gearheads at the Totem Rendezvous next weekend can have a look and think of something clever :huh:

Good crickets that thing is huge. The catch can originally mentioned in this thread was strapped to where the bottom of the rear panel attaches. It looks like that will be almost impossible with this can. Bil, I guess you should be glad you didn't order the Ultimate? :)

I'm desparately waiting to see how this Stealth gizzy works out - one of the reasons I've decided to sell my Smart (other than the poor and high cost service from the dealer) is the irritation of dealing with the insipid oil leak in my driveway/garage.

BTW, I found a Canadian supplier at a reasonable price if the US ordering proves problematic.

http://www.qmrmotorsports.com/shop/product...roducts_id=3800

Rick

Advice: Get it from the Canadian source. I paid $115USD plus shipping and then today, a month later, I get a bill for Duty and cross-border paperwork, adding another $50 buckaroos to the cost! Grrrr.Bil :senile:P.S. Project update: wishing I had an enclosed place to work! Must still move the air filter to make room for the catchtank.

Edited by bilgladstone

Today I installed the shorty intake and that made room for the CCV catchtank. I mounted it temporarily (zip-ties!) about 15cm from the crankcase outlet but I can see immediately that it is too close. I looks like there will be room to mount it on the sidewall where the OEM airbox used to be, but I'll have to mount it tipped about 20 degrees.I reckon I'll leave it as-is for the time being - the separation plates might be more efficient once there's a little oil in the baffles.Bil :senile:p.s. I have a bright, heated, concrete-floored workshop I can borrow!!!

Edited by bilgladstone

My verdict: We have a WINNER!

The 42DraftDesigns' "stealth oil catch can" works as advertised. After 300km on mixed town and country routes, the clear outlet pipe from the can is perfectly clear - not a drop of liquid oil!

because it was temporarily mounted and I have the intention of locating it in a slightly different fashion, I have it off until I dream up a better site for it, so you'll have to wait for pictures.

So after several years of trial and error, and error, and error, I am pleased to say that the hunt for a working catch can / CCV oil separator is over!

Bil :sun:

So will one be installable in a non-modified engine compartment?

So will one be installable in a non-modified engine compartment?

I'm trying to ponder that issue. It is pretty large... if I remember to bring it with me to the Island, maybe fresh eyes can see the possibilities.B :senile:

Posted (edited) · Report post

The crankcase builds up pressure from blowby past rings etc. In the old days, these dirty fumes were just vented to atmosphere. Then they were piped to the air filter intake housing to be reburnt in order to keep emissions down. In the smart, they are recirculated from the crankcase almost directly to the intake, after the air filter, and immediately in front of the turbo inlet.What we notice in this short-pipe hot-to-cold configuration, especially if the oil level is even a teensy bit above 3/4 or so on the stick, is that the still-hot fumes - abundantly laden with oil and other vapours - condense out the oil into a sticky mess, and then go right into the turbo and intercooler. Some people have even had the intercooler fill to failure with oil!Bad design. Head-shakingly poor.This modification allows the oil to condense out into the catch tank before the fumes are recirculated into the air intake, keeping the air path clear.Highly recommended [by me]Cheers,Bil :sun:

___________________________________I realize some are not going to like this idea one bit.. however, (as an alternative to making and installing such a kit) if someone wanted to couldn't they revert back to the way the old diesels were set up, and thus let those "dirty fumes vent into the atmosphere"?Is anyone selling this modification as a kit yet?Please advise, and I would be interested in buying one.Thanks Edited by OklahomaSmart

I realize some are not going to like this idea one bit.. however, (as an alternative to making and installing such a kit) if someone wanted to couldn't they revert back to the way the old diesels were set up, and thus let those "dirty fumes vent into the atmosphere"?

Out the vent comes a sticky oily goo...If it is not going into your turbo, then it is landing on your driveway (or your landlords driveway:D ), or worse yet, applying itself as a sticky protective layer on your entire engine compartment... Here lies the problem...

I have put up with those oil drops in my driveway for years while looking for a proper solution. With this latest catch tank, the solution is very near at last. It is about the 6th different build and I am very hopeful that it will be the last.There is no "kit" available - you just have to D-I-Y and find the best answer by trial and error. Once I land on the working configuration, I'll post up my solution.Bil :sun:

Great news that it is usable and fixes the problem! :) I think its funny that I read Bil's posts that the 42 Draft Designs part is what we've been looking for and then the doorbell rang. It was UPS with my FRS catch tank! :lol: Looks like I might be making a return. :)