Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huronlad

smart car hatred

20 posts in this topic

post-5864-1248471324_thumb.jpgI am in need of a replacement fuel door :angry: . I believe my car was victimized while it was parked at my work today. I will be heading back to investigate further.Does anyone know the cost of a replacement plastic fuel door? M-B parts is closed until tomorrow morning.I was just looking at the aluminum version sold on the smartieparts site. I would prefer not to spend quite that much (nearly $300), but if a direct replacement is half that much I may go that way for added security.If anyone knows of any additional options, I would be grateful to be made aware of them.

Huronlad,Really sorry to hear what happened to your car. :angry: there are some people you just can't explain.About the price, I'm sure one of the dealers on this site will give you their price soon enough.Can't be much though, it's just a little thin plastic plate.Good luck buddy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you want a price right away, call one of the West Coast dealers ( TPM, Victoria)as it is only 3:30 out here.Also there are lots of wrecks around so you should be able to get a used one, as the little bird said ....cheap....cheap....cheap!.

Edited by Fred J

Why would someone want access to your fuel tank so bad? I hope nothing was put into your tank... unless of course it was a fill up of diesel.

Fortunately the door is inexpensive and easy to change out (check to see if they damaged the release solenoid too - the metal pin at the side opposite the hinge).Here is the part # and the price as of about last year.Gas door -DR3E 00015113V011000000 Fuel Cap - $24.20Your smart parts person may sell for less (or more if they are in Alberta) - those are list price.Three Point carries them in stock - I guess there are more than a few idiots out there - had to get a new passenger mirror for that reason - they had to really work at breaking the glass in it.There is a locking internal cap too - Locking Gas Cap - just in case the SUV and truck driving Gunthers make it past the plastic latch and seek to do harm to your car through introduction of foreign objects Part # Q0005363V001000000 - and $27.60 (plus tax) gets you one - stocked in TO or at Three Point Motors (they ordered an extra one in). It comes with two keys - double sided! and it is one of the ones you can lock open or closed i.e. leave it so others can put fuel in with out the key - lock it if you are in a less secure area. I have one spare in the car in case the door disappeared so if you are desperate I could express it out to you (they should have it in Toronto though.Cheers,Cameron

Hmm interesting....do you have a photo of the locking cap on the car?

Here is the post from "What is that Part Number?" - an exciting new game show coming to Fox this fall.....

Locking gas cap complete with picture

Cheers,

Cameron

ps. you will notice I was careful not to be nude and reflected in the chrome bit :lol:

Yes I did notice that....but does the tether that comes with the OE fuel cap attach to the new one? That's what I was wondering ever since you posted that photo.

Thanks everyone. The solenoid seems to work fine. I will get London to bring in a locking cap and I will replace with the stock door for now. If the door is taken off again I will look into something more aggressive, maybe something along the line of an attack badger. If anyone knows were I can get a well trained badger, please let me know.

post-201-1248574943_thumb.jpg

Answers my question in your tattoo thread... Arrgh! Durn Bustards!

Ian, your damage looks like it might be a wee bit more costly than mine. Where was your car when it was accosted?

I don't know what accosted means. :/I live in downtown Kitchener and there's some kind of sketchy drug rehabilitation centre across the street from where my car is parked. All sorts of types hang out/cut across our lot.I'd be able to repair it on my own except the spring is gone, and I've no idea where it flung to (hopefully nailed the bugger in the eye). Couple other cars in our lot got whacked, too. About $50, shipped, new from MB parts, so not too bad.I'm not mad I have to pay; I'm just mad that someone could do something so thoughtless. I was raised that you respect other people's property.-Iain

Edited by Duck

Mike - the tether doesn't come with it - might be tough to stretch it over but might do.Duck - sorry to see that Stupid people are everywhere - had a side mirror smashed when the car was parked at my Dad's place (a quiet neighbourhood at that) - took them quite an effort too - there had to try a couple of times from the scratches.We had a needle exchange about a block away (closed now) - the 'hood took on the resemblence to a war zone - barbed wire - gates - people passed out - freaking out - vandalism - muggings (that don't get reported in the paper) - car break ins and general mayhem. It is like night and day compared to when they were operating.Problem is when they dump these social programs in an area they seem to forget to budget for extra policing or support for the locals. If these services are necessary fine - but you have to also respect the people that live around the area.Seems to be a general thing that a lot of people don't think they have to be responsible - there action is always excusable by some form of situation.Cheers,Cameron