Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
briand

Side Mirrors with LED Indicators

10 posts in this topic

I installed the side mirrors with LED indicators. I followed the instructions at http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=508 The mirrors have changed since the how-to was created. The only change is that the mirrors and led bar seem to be of a higher quality and are not two separate pieces.

I wired up the driver side white LEDs to come on with the lights. I then wired the passenger side white and amber LEDs to come on with the blinker.

However, I have since decided that wiring a switch to turn the white LEDs on and off would be the best bet. I would prefer to attach them to a wire that is always on. I'd like to use the white LEDs in the mirrors and a sort of side marker for when the car is parked.

Anyway, have a look and let me know what you think of what I have done so far. :)

http://bit.ly/CLyDG

The white light looks goofy to me and diminishes the effect of the flasher.....I''d skip it.

The white lights are puddle lights are they not? Ideally should they not be wired to come on with the interior lights?

The white lights are puddle lights are they not? Ideally should they not be wired to come on with the interior lights?

I wish they were. The white LEDs shine straight forward just like the amber flashers. I do like the idea of them coming on whenever the door is opened. though! I'll have figure out how to make that happen :)

I like the drivers side, and think it would look really cool with the headlights on. You should get those side markers to blink with the rest of them too!

The white lights serve another purpose - as our cars are very narrow compared to other cars there is a tendancy for people making turns etc. from the sides to mis-guage the distance away of your smart - by putting the lights in the mirrors it increases the stance of the car and helps keep the last minute pull out crowd from acting as a traffic barrier in your path.Same deal with the Jeep - as far as I am concerned every bit of extra visibility helps with our smarts.Cheers,Cameron

Thanks everyone. I have wired it up so the white LEDs come on with the headlights and the amber LEDs are turn signals / emergency flashers. I have noticed that people tend to give a little more room when turning since the white LEDs have been wired up to come on with the headlights. Thanks everyone! :)

Hmmmm... just gave me a great idea for the Jeep (Wrangler) - I have to paint the mirror brackets anyways so they might get a bit of a modification. :D I usually run with the Fog lights on but mirror LED's would be better!Make sure you seal the back of the wires really good - the new lights might be better but I had some water get in there and corrode one of the LED wires right off. Heck of a job to fix (okay I could have got a new light but there is the challenge, and the cost, and delay of getting it from Taiwan) - had to slice the light open - remove the circuit board - solder a new LED in - then give the whole works a coat of liquid electrical tape - then glue the whole thing up. Hardest part was figuring out to get the rust out of the plastic reflector assembly - nothing a soak in pool PH (basically hydrochloric acid) didn't fix. A couple of days and all the rust was gone.Cheers,Cameron