Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
briand

Smart and Brabus Wheel Questions

19 posts in this topic

I'm looking to upgrade my wheels from the Stylelines that came with my Passion Coupe. I have been looking at the following:

[*]15" Wheels

[*] Brabus Monoblock IV

[*] Strikeline

[*]16" Wheels

[*]Triline

[*] Roadster/Crossblade Spikeline

I've used http://www.evilution.co.uk/513 to do all of the technical research (offsets, recommended tire sizes, etc) but am looking for real world experience. Since no one in the USA has these, sourcing them from Europe or Canada are my only options, with Canada actually being the more expensive option right now :(

I'd like to hear from anyone concerning what would need to be done to a 2005 Smart Passion Coupe to fit these wheels properly as well as experience with them. Would spacers be needed? Wide-star fender package needed on the rear? Tire sizes? Any rubbing on turns? Hitting wheel wells on bumps? That sort of thing.

thanks in advance :)

I have the Brabus Monoblock V1's and can tell you the aluminum they are made from is VERY VERY soft.Others on this site have found this as well, so potholes and other things can easily dent them.But they do look nice,Just a warning ;)

The strikelines and corelines (the latter which you didn't mention) are both bolt on affairs with no issues at all. With a coupé, you should spring a few bucks for the little ABS rear fender lips, just to comply with regulations.These wheels are robust, massively improve roadholding and look great. The geeky skinny puppy feet of the standard car are gone. Fuel consumption goes up by 0.2 L/100 km. No modifications to the car are required; these were OE smart wheels for run-of-the-mill 450 smarts.If you want to play, you've got to pay. Sometimes Fast Eddy has really attractive sales on wheel/tire combinations. That's where I got mine for well under $2K. Oh and the rear 195 tires will give me 80,000 km before I have to change them (I'm a bit over 70,000 on them so far).

The strikelines and corelines (the latter which you didn't mention) are both bolt on affairs with no issues at all. With a coupé, you should spring a few bucks for the little ABS rear fender lips, just to comply with regulations.These wheels are robust, massively improve roadholding and look great. The geeky skinny puppy feet of the standard car are gone. Fuel consumption goes up by 0.2 L/100 km. No modifications to the car are required; these were OE smart wheels for run-of-the-mill 450 smarts.If you want to play, you've got to pay. Sometimes Fast Eddy has really attractive sales on wheel/tire combinations. That's where I got mine for well under $2K. Oh and the rear 195 tires will give me 80,000 km before I have to change them (I'm a bit over 70,000 on them so far).

Mike, how are the wider tires in snow, or do you even get any significant snow where you are? Skinny tires are generally considered to be better in snow.

I put my winter sportline wheels and IceBear tires on in the snow. The wider ones seemed no worse in snow than the skinny summer ones, which is to say they were both godawful in snow.

I don't drive the smart in snow with summer tires...

Agreed. What I meant to ask was has anyone compared winter tires on the wider rims vs. winter tires on the narrow rims. Just curious because the smart owners manual emphasizes the point that changing tire sizes will have a detrimental effect on handling and consequently safety. The impression left is that the smart engineers tried a variety of tire sizes/combos and that what they supply oem was the best

Narrower tire, better traction on snow and ice. The owner's manual item will be a lawyer generated warning. I am going to try running 145's all around this winter to see if that will give a little better snow traction.

The impression left is that the smart engineers tried a variety of tire sizes/combos and that what they supply oem was the best

Would that be OEM in Europe? Or OEM in Canada?

....the smart owners manual emphasizes the point that changing tire sizes will have a detrimental effect on handling and consequently safety.

Interestingly, that same manual also recognises various tire sizes for the car...including the sizes that fit the coreline and strikeline wheels (though they have the aspect ratio wrong).

You can get snow tires in the 175/195 size for the smart but that would be a waste - the skinnies are the way to go in winter. DO NOT stretch skinny tires onto wide rims.

Edit: stupid internet freeze ups!

Edited by Mike T

I have the Brabus Monoblock V1's and can tell you the aluminum they are made from is VERY VERY soft.Others on this site have found this as well, so potholes and other things can easily dent them.But they do look nice,Just a warning ;)

Thanks Coast Steve. I had a feeling the Brabus wheels would be soft. :(

Thanks Mike. Are strikeline wheels what you have on your smart in your avatar picture? And if so are you running with 175/55 on the front and 195/50 or /55 on the rear?I do have the ABS fender lips (Flyingtiger lists them as fender extensions with extension being a possible source of confusion) for the front and rear fenders. I realize that stepping up to a better wheel costs more, however the difference in price including taxes and shipping between Canada and the UK is completely absurd. After converting from British Pounds and Canadian Dollars to US Dollars, Flyingtiger is at least is 2 to 5 times more expensive than the UK, depending on the wheel. I find it odd because on everything else (and I literally mean everything else) on the site, the price is very reasonable. However, this is just my opinion and not a slam or anything. Just stating my confusion. :D I have noticed some people run the same tires on the front and the rears when they have the Spikeline/Crossblade wheels and the Triline wheels. This is my only reason for being interested in 16" wheels. Thanks a ton! :)

Are strikeline wheels what you have on your smart in your avatar picture? And if so are you running with 175/55 on the front and 195/50 or /55 on the rear?

Yes, with 195/50-15 on the rear (the 55 is where the manual is wrong).

Flyingtiger is at least is 2 to 5 times more expensive than the UK, depending on the wheel.

Well my wheel/tire set was $1600 on sale. So you are saying that someone in Britain is selling new strikelines with tires for between $320 and $800? I SERIOUSLY doubt that. I comparison shopped in Germany before buying from Eddy and he was just slightly more, but without the hassle of shipping, finding odd-sized tires and so on.

Well my wheel/tire set was $1600 on sale. So you are saying that someone in Britain is selling new strikelines with tires for between $320 and $800? I SERIOUSLY doubt that. I comparison shopped in Germany before buying from Eddy and he was just slightly more, but without the hassle of shipping, finding odd-sized tires and so on.

Just to make sure I wasn't speaking out of turn, I double checked my prices and noticed that some of the pricing info I had from FlyingTiger was out of date. It was based on older posts in the Star Lounge. I've gone back and double checked at shop.flyingtiger.ca

Are you quoting Canadian or US dollars? Just in case it wasn't clear in my first post, I live in the USA.

Shipping is cheaper from the UK than it is from Canada and both are about the same time (as they both have to sit in customs).

Trilines are US$887.37 w/out tires from the UK and are US$3,613.51 from Flyingtiger with tires. Assuming US$400 for Yokohama S.Drives, that is 3x disparity.

The price was in Canadian dollars. $1600 total.Advice: Skip the trilines and get the wide 15 inchers. You can get the required tires for the coreline and strikeline for about $640 CAD total. Eddy sells ultra high performance tires (Z speed rating) for the 16s which raises the price way beyond the cheapies you are looking at, and cars with these tires are (IMO) way over-tired for the car's power, gas or diesel.If you insist on getting the massive wheels and tires, beware, because with trilines and spikelines you cannot fit any old size on the front without severe rubbing/cutting issues. 195/40-16 is the only suitable size for the front, at least the Continentals work, not sure about other brands, because sizing is nominal and varies between manufacturers.

Wow Mike! Thanks for all the info and tips!! :thumbsup_anim:The more research I have been doing, the more I find that people mention the tires for a 16" wheel end up reducing gas mileage and performance but look good. The only reason I'm considering the 16" spikelines is my girlfriend loves the look of them. :D last question and I promise I'll make up my mind. :P Do you run the strikelines with 175/55 and 195/50 winter tires as well? Or do you have a separate winter wheel and tire set?

Thanks for explaining in such detail Mike. It is much better to come from 2nd or 3rd party who had first hand experience.

And thanks for letting him do it Eddy. :) Too many "companies" that post in forums would have rushed in and given misinformation. Speaks loads to the service you provide to customers when your customers do the talking. :)

"The only reason I'm considering the 16" spikelines is my girlfriend loves the look of them". :D

There is a 15 inch copy of these wheels (Spikelines) available that use the tire sizes found on the Smart 451 155/60 R 15 and 175/55 R 15. :2cents: PM Glenn smart142 for more info.

Do you run the strikelines with 175/55 and 195/50 winter tires as well? Or do you have a separate winter wheel and tire set?

I have always had a winter set of wheels and tires for my family car, so in all years before the last one, if it snowed, the smart stayed home. Now with two of three of our kids driving, I bought a set of Ice Bears from Eddy and put them on the skinny sportline alloys for the smart. It hardly ever snows here but last year was a major exception to that rule.