Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrcanoe

Third socket on 451 rear lights

3 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is wrong forum or if this is epeat of previous topic (not sure how to search for archived topics...). In Canada, daylight running lights are achieved by MDC on 451 (2008 Passion) by having full headlights on at all times, which means rear tail lights are lit during the day as well as night. Unfortunately, turn signal is the bright element of the same bulb, which on sunny days presents a problem in trying to make my intentions to switch lanes "visible" (ahem) to the other drivers. (Brake lights do not have same problem, owing to centre mounted brake light). I am seeking a solution. Optimally I might obtain amber turn signals (wellsmart.co.uk), imported from UK. Before I shell out &252 (where & should read pounds), or roughly $500, I'd like to see if I can get a turn signal light that is separate from the tail (dim) and brake (bright) light. My first thought was to mount trailer lights on the bumper (see also European bike racks for Smart -- which Transpo Canada has not allowed to be imported -- wonder why?). So I opened up the rear light access panel... ...and discovered a third socket on the light mounting board. The board itself appears to be an over-sized printed circuit -- by which I mean the printed circuits are much bigger than on say a computer printed circuit board. I tried to fit the tail/ brake light bulb into the third socket (in order to test its function), but it wouldn't fit. Now my tail light won't work at all in the top socket, although the bulb works as intended in the top socket on the other side. Leaving that as a separate issue, does anyone know if the third socket is in fact useable in any way on a 451 (2008 Passion), or is it simply a remnant from the design of the 450 rear light assembly? Further, does anyone know if you can obtain a separate rear turn light (preferrably amber) for said 451? [must add that I've had less confusion from other drivers in reading my left turn signal now the left tail light is out of commission. It just leaves me with only one working tail-light at night!] Cheers, Philmrcanoe

The 450 and 451 taillights are 100% different.In Europe the 451 has the lower half of the upper element of the taillight as an amber turn indicator. I am not sure if ayone has done the conversion on a CDN or US one.

I am hoping (for 451 owners's sakes) that either the company that made the LED taillights for the 450r a company like IPCW will make an LED rear light conversion package. Let me explain (with pictures too!!:) )

I have a 2006 HHR 2LT. I replaced the stock rear lights (turn and brake in one pod, reverse in the lower pod). These light assemblies are very similar to the 451's rear light assemblies. The IPCW LED rear lights have an added benefit over the stock assemblies as you can see in the two attached pictures.

In these pictures, the left side is the stock pods and the right side are the new IPCW LED pods. The LED pods have an outer red circle. This circle is on with the DRLs and becomes a bit brighter when braking. On the top pod, the interior part of the circle blinks whenever the turn signal is on. This is in contrast to the left side's top pod. That bulb is dimmed when the DRLs are on and shines brighter when the brakes are pressed or blinks if the turn signal is on.

My point is that the shape of the HHR rear light pods and the ForTwo 451's pods are similar enough that it would not be difficult for IPCW to make an LED pod for the 451 that has the features you are looking for. I imagine if enough 451 owners were to contact ICPW it would persuade them to do so.

You can contat IPCW at http://inprocarwear.com +1.323.838.5588 or toll free at +1.800.934.4599 email is info@inprocarwear.com Their hours are Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5pm PST

post-6660-1252178405_thumb.jpg

post-6660-1252178441_thumb.jpg

Edited by briand