Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reglys

Airbag deployment

15 posts in this topic

Hi everybodyToday I hit a kind of step on the road just before going an overpass :angry: . The shock was very bad. I was expecting something bad with my front rims or steering. The noise was very explosive. My airbag on the driver seat deployed. Bad smell and smoke was following just after the bang. The engine shudown by itself, I think. I tried to restart the car just after the hit and engine was cranking without firing up. I wait a few minutes and was able to restart the car. I pulled out and checked the rims and I saw no damage.Do you think M-B warranty could cover that kind of incident? My waranty is already finished at that point.^Warning for everybody; Watch the road hazards because the Smart airbags are very sensitive.Hope you understand my english.

Another one. An all too common problem. Mercedes seems to think that there is no problem, so you'll be on your own. Warranty will have no bearing on this expensive repair.Ian

Ask your dealer very nicely and they might help you with a free repair. Probably not, but it's worth trying.

I can't see how we aren't able to get TC involved. Airbags that go off willy-nilly and brake pads that separate within 30000 Km are safety issues, and should be addressed by TSBs or recalls.

Nobody's kicking up enough of a stink, I guess.-Iain (also had an airbag deploy on a rough road)

Edited by Duck

If it is a recall, it is initiated by Transport Canada, not the manufacturer. And it is almost purely a numbers game, depends on how many vehicles it happens to. I can pretty much guarantee they are already looking at this matter. I can ask my contacts at TC about it, I know the person who is in charge of all recalls in Canada, he is a fellow racer.

Follow this link to file a complaint:

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB...p.aspx?lang=eng

Nothing will happen until enough complaints are registered.

Edited by MightyMouseTech

If it is a recall, it is initiated by Transport Canada, not the manufacturer. And it is almost purely a numbers game, depends on how many vehicles it happens to. I can pretty much guarantee they are already looking at this matter. I can ask my contacts at TC about it, I know the person who is in charge of all recalls in Canada, he is a fellow racer.Follow this link to file a complaint:https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB...p.aspx?lang=engNothing will happen until enough complaints are registered.

Thank you for the info. I will wait from my MB dealer to see what they have to say from the investigation they are doing on my car. They said they will charge me for the time they spend checking my car. I can say the SRS lignt is not even on on my dash in spite the fact one airbag is already deployed.

Well if I was in Canada I would definitely file a complaint as I have deployed both the passenger and driver side airbag. Passenger side last year and the driver's side a few months ago. Both from sections of the road with a rather large lip where they had cut away the old concrete in order to replace it. Just could not slow down fast enough.Interesting that your airbag light is not on. When I deployed the passenger side the light stayed on yet it has never come on after the driver's side deployed. I guess I am just thankful it was the ones in the seats and not the dash or the wheel. Of course, if I was like most of the G&K cars I would not even have seat airbags to worry about :)

sections of the road with a rather large lip where they had cut away the old concrete in order to replace it.Exactly the problem I had!

Although i never had an airbag deploy on mine, i'd sure be interested to here what Transport Canada had to say to Duck.

Wow! If TC initiate a recall, what would happen to people like Duck who have already had to pay for air bag repairs? Would MB be forced to reimburse? If not forced, you would think they would at least do it as a good will measure?garth

Don't assume that them calling will mean there will be a recall.I had a TC employee contact me and inspect the seatbelt D-rings that were cracking on my ex-P. 405 and it was deemed not to be an issue since the part cracking was a thin plastic veneer on metal.

Granted there are probably a lot more smarts than Peugeot's in Canada :)-Iain