Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atikovi

Brakes stuck after not being driven a few days.

10 posts in this topic

If I haven't driven my '05 cdi in a few days, it seems the brake pads stick to the rotors and I have to give it a lot of power to get it to break free. The other day I tried to move the car and I hadn't driven it in over a week, even flooring the accelerator wouldn't get it to budge. I had to remove a front wheel and use a long pry bar to break the rotor free from the pad. What can be done to prevent this?

Did you park it wet, after a wash. If I do that they stick, go for a short drivr to dry them off and no problem.

Mine sometimes stick also especially after a rain or wash. It is easier to free them up with a jolt in reverse rather then forwards.Mike

The pads are siezing to the rotors. This happens mostly with metalic brake pads. Mine are metallic (you can tell if you have rusty brake dust on your wheels) I change all my vehicles to ceramic pads on first change, no sticking rotors, less brake fade, no brake dust coating on the wheels.Metallic pads basically have iron particles in the pad material. Hope this helps

I change all my vehicles to ceramic pads on first change, no sticking rotors, less brake fade, no brake dust coating on the wheels.

there are several threads on this topic going on, I think the basics are covered in this one : http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopi...p;hl=EBC+brakes , if anyone is looking for easily available options

First hand experience - OEM pads - 2 weeks sitting - required some heavy duty pressure on the gas pedal and rocking fore and aft to get them to unstick - EBC green pads - 3.5 weeks sitting - Put car in reverse then forward - slight stick then okay. So the aftermarket pads win hands down on not sticking to the disks.Cheers,Cameron

I find getting into my car often releases their stickyness... I'll get in and hear the loud "Crack" of the pads unsticking...

I hear a loud crack sometimes when getting into the car - but it is not the car :o:lol:;) If your brakes are wet might be an idea to ride the pedal a bit to warm them up prior to parking so they dry a bit. The rotors rust very quickly - I have seen them tinge yellow even in the time it takes to wash the car. Cheers,Cameron

lol! yah for me its either my knees cracking or the ripping sound of my pants splitting most of the time ;-)But neither my knees nor my pants have the ability to resonate like metal, so it couldn't be those things... ;-)

Edited by frankie5string