Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MightyMouseTech

Finally, good ice tires for smart in OEM sizes!

17 posts in this topic

Was cruising around Tirerack, and found that Bridgestone now makes a GOOD winter/ice tire for our cars in the 450 OEM sizes!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!

Front: 145/65/15

Rear: 175/55/15

Both now available in the Blizzak WS-60. This is the same tire I run on my Mazda3 and they are fantastic in the winter. This is also the first tire available for us in a multicell compound. Yes, they do wear out faster, but that is a small price to pay for better traction! Looks like the old LM-18's (which were only OK) are being discontinued.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Just ordered a set of front tires to replace my LM-18's.

EDIT: tire sizes...

Edited by MightyMouseTech

I was looking at these or the Pirelli equivalent for my next set of winter tires. I am going to buy my tires down in the US later this month and bring them back duty free.

I was looking at these or the Pirelli equivalent for my next set of winter tires. I am going to buy my tires down in the US later this month and bring them back duty free.

Why would they be duty free?

I am going to be in the US for several days, so I will be able to bring the tires back sans duty.

I am going to be in the US for several days, so I will be able to bring the tires back sans duty.

Ah, OK, I need more coffee.... :drink:

Was cruising around Tirerack, and found that Bridgestone now makes a GOOD winter/ice tire for our cars in the 450 OEM sizes!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!

Front: 145/55/15

Rear: 175/55/15

Is this a typo or are you fudging on the size?

My OEM's since day one are 145/65 R 15.

Unless they are made in a non-favoured nation, they would be duty-free anyway. You must be thinking of tax-free (GST/PST/HST). I cross the border weekly, and the only time I've paid duty in the past two years was on a new pair of Brooks GTS running shoes (CA$149 at the Running Room up here -- US$52.95 at www.runningwarehouse.com on sale) because they were made in China or Malaysia.

Unless they are made in a non-favoured nation, they would be duty-free anyway.

Only tires made in the USA are duty free. Most Bridgestones are made in Japan and are subject to duty. Following this link:http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?mak...e%3D755R5BZWS60shows that the tires are in fact, made in Japan.Yes, the 145/55/15 was a typo, following the link shows the proper sizes. Edited by MightyMouseTech

Only tires made in the USA are duty free. Most Bridgestones are made in Japan and are subject to duty. Following this link:http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?mak...e%3D755R5BZWS60shows that the tires are in fact, made in Japan.Yes, the 145/55/15 was a typo, following the link shows the proper sizes.

I know these tires are available at my local Firestone store. Check yours for pricing before you order from the USA. I know at my dealer(Redline Automotive in Scarborough) they do a big push just prior to winter. Dave

I've never, ever paid duty on anything made in Japan. Meanwhile, today I brought back clothes (China: 18%! Malaysia: 16%), Crocs (all three pairs from China: 16%) and miscellaneous goods (China: 5%). Total duties, GST and PST on ~$280 worth of stuff? $69. Ouch.

I've never, ever paid duty on anything made in Japan.

You will on tires. It is 10% duty for tires made in Japan. It is not just the country of manufacture, the duty also depends on what kind of item it is. Edited by MightyMouseTech

Yeah, I know how duties work. I'm just telling of my real-life experience bringing stuff across (and declaring it). I cross every week. I'd say that well over half of my non-food shopping is done online (mostly Amazon, ebay, Running Warehouse, and a few others) from the US, and delivered to my mail drop in way upstate NY. Whether it's by the book or not, the CBSA agents use their judgment on this sort of thing -- China, Pakistan and southeast Asian countries seem to get the most attention, while "Made in Japan" just gets assessed taxes. Granted, I've yet to bring tires back.

I know these tires are available at my local Firestone store. Check yours for pricing before you order from the USA. I know at my dealer(Redline Automotive in Scarborough) they do a big push just prior to winter. Dave

They are already available? My tire wholesaler does not even list the tires yet! They still have only the LM-18's listed. As for pricing, I find Tirerack is usually cheaper than even my COST from our wholesaler, which is the biggest tire wholesaler in eastern Ontario/western Quebec.Edit: Case in point, my cost from my wholesaler is $105 Cdn each. The Tirerack wants $68/ea, which works out to $83 with conversion and duty included. Edited by MightyMouseTech

They are already available? My tire wholesaler does not even list the tires yet! They still have only the LM-18's listed. As for pricing, I find Tirerack is usually cheaper than even my COST from our wholesaler, which is the biggest tire wholesaler in eastern Ontario/western Quebec.Edit: Case in point, my cost from my wholesaler is $105 Cdn each. The Tirerack wants $68/ea, which works out to $83 with conversion and duty included.

Yes these are in stock at my local Firestone Store. You can call them 416-292-1431.