Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest GHup

Speeding

21 posts in this topic

Twice in the last month I've been speeding when I passed a speed trap. Was on the 401 the other day doing 130 KM in a 100 zone. OPP turned on his lights and turned out after me. Ended up pulling over someone behind me. Second time this has happened. I know I was going faster than the guy they pulled over cause I just passed him. Almost like we're invisable to radar. Maybe they figure we are too small to go real fast. Anyone else had this happen?

I don't assume it's because I'm radar-proof, but I've had that horseshoe up my arse for as long as I can remember. Most recently I was in a convoy up I-81 north from Syracuse to 1000 Islands. First I passed a hidden speed trap at 140. I slowed to 115 and continued on, and about two minutes later looked in my mirror to see a CTS-V get pulled over. Two clicks later, another Statie came up behind me with his lights ablaze after I'd sped back up to 145. I pulled over and he raced ahead to nail the lead (pair of) crotch rockets (an R1 and a Ducati 848). At that point I pulled up and set the cruise back to 105 for the rest of the trip home, and smiled and waved as all the cars that I'd passed now passed me. I didn't dare push my luck any further!

None ever in the smart. About eight since 1977, two of which have been between 1990 and now.

Yep. Fifty in a forty zone. It's stupid too, because it is a back road that is 80 most of the way, and there is a school somewhere nearby where I got caught. Got me coming up to a stop sign too, so it wasn't like I could just take off.

Twice in the last month I've been speeding when I passed a speed trap. Was on the 401 the other day doing 130 KM in a 100 zone. OPP turned on his lights and turned out after me. Ended up pulling over someone behind me. Second time this has happened. I know I was going faster than the guy they pulled over cause I just passed him. Almost like we're invisable to radar. Maybe they figure we are too small to go real fast. Anyone else had this happen?

Anyhow, I would consider yourself lucky. I cut someone off pretty bad on the highway recently, when I looked in my rearview mirror to waive applogetically I realized that it was an unmarked Police Car (Lights were in the grill and inside the front windshield). God I felt like an asshat but ended up not getting pulled over.

Maybe they look at 2-3 cars and the mind simply won't let them believe the smart was the one doing the speeding! ;)

now that i think about it.. i have not got a ticket in the car.. My other car.. 2-3 in the past year or two.. and i SPEED everywhere in the smart.. 110-120 in the city all the time.

I also speed but have not been caught in Onyx. In fact, only 1 ticket in 32 years of driving and like Flossy it was in a slow zone. I was on a 4 lane street in my old 1980 Chevette with a chain link fence on both sides and did not see the playground or the start of playground zone sign. Playground was behind a small knoll and the sign I assumed was blocked by the large cube van driving in the curb lane just in front of me and no sign on the median. I challenged the ticket but they would not forgive. However, that playground zone has since been discontinued.One near missed, I was only 2 over in a playground zone and another car passed me. We both pulled over when the officer flagged but I was told to carry on - the other driver was getting the ticket. I did not argue. Even my friends and co-workers find it hard to believe me that my car can do highway speeds. Side Note: About a week ago, I was on a major thoroughfare in Calgary, Crowchild Tr for those in the know, and this veteran (had the poppy license plate) was hanging right to my side when I wanted to move right for the exit, signal on and going about 85 in a 80 zone. So I sped up to get in front of him and the @$%* sped up and kept pace with me up to about 105 till I let off the gas and pulled in behind him instead. Did not want the Smart Car beating his baby, I guess.

I got a speeding ticket with my first smart car,just a day or so of taking delivery of it (after the agonizing seven month wait)!!This was on (or after) July 29,2005 , the delivery date.I had just gotten on our freeway, and was in the left of two lanes.The speed limit is 70K for the first short distance. I had accelerated , and passed a car, in order get over into the right lane ,so i could exit.Wouldn't you know it, they had a radar trap set up,on the curve to the exit. They had caught me doing about 100k. I tried reasoning with the officer, about just passing a car,but ended up with a ticket.I may have been able to get out of paying, as the officer called the car a 'smart cdi', instead of a 'for two'under'model' on the ticket. I paid the ticket anyway, as i know i was over the limit.The officer liked my car, and i believe he said it was the first speeding ticket he had ever issued to a smart car!

And just what happens to a Canadian that gets a ticket in the U.S. and doesn't pay? And vice versa?

If you live in eastern central Canada, we have reciprocal agreements between states and provinces. In other words, a Québec-plated car getting a ticket in Ontario, New York, Vermont, Maine or Florida will be assessed demerits against his or her Québec driver's license as if the offense occurred in Québec.

So does anyone know what gives on the illinois toll roads? We weren't able to change lanes to get to the pay lane, the traffic was too aggressive and my husband was driving. he's aggressive to a fault in his 3/4 ton truck but in the smart he's downright timid. So we blew through the first toll but managed to pay all subsequent tolls. I hear they take pics of your license and mail you a fine. But if it's the front plate, they've got a happy face off us. and will they bother with Saskatchewan plates? (vanity plates at that)

Years ago, me and a buddy were doing some speed testing early one morning on a hiway near Calgary, we were each on our racebikes, As we went under an overpass bridge I noticed a white van parked under it, I looked back as we passed, the van had a camera on a tripod and was set up or setting up a camera speed trap, it was hard to see but you could just make it out.He must have laughed to himself as we went under that bridge at about 240kms per hour and didn't slow down even a bit. When we stopped about 10 km's down the road I said to my buddy, "did you see that van under the bridge"? ...he just smiled.

Good morning everyone.As to receiving a ticket in the States, if you do not pay the ticket once you are home, there is no point trying to cross over the border for any trips until it is paid. This happened to a freind of ours. He did not pay a speeding ticket and forgot all about it. He attempted to go over for a wedding and he was held at the border. He called us and asked us to come and bring some money to pay the ticket and the late fine. Once this was paid he was able to leave although a little red faced and not towards the wedding. He had to wait for the government offices to be open on the Monday for the payment to be processed.Our freind sure behaves in his corvette when he is traveling across the border now. We just won't mention how he drives on his home ground.......LOL

You are correct about the website thing. I came through there Sunday and saw the signs. I also damn near got creamed when I changed lanes at the last minute to get to the only booth that would take cash. I was desperate not to have to bust the toll and so almost had a car pile into us. I should have just continued calmly up the highway and let nature take it's way.2seat

I almost feel sorry for the guy in the corvette that I went whistling by just as I saw the cop on the side of the freeway...lights on he pulls out, so I slow down and pull over. he shoots by me and nails the vette……..hard to keep a straight face...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

i noticed this too...they seemed to let us slip by 

its probably more of a human brain thing than an invisible to radar thing...theres way too many idiots out there who think a smart car cant even get up to highway speeds

i remember laughing at the landfill site when the scaleperson made me reverse because id gone too fast for them to capture my plate number..that my only memory of being accused of going too fast in a smart even though i did it all the time

on a side note i recently got pulled over in my equinox for "93 and climbing" in a 60 zone....he let me off with just a warning

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

I was going to say the same thing, I have started to drive a bit faster lately and that results in 20 over in most out of town places.....I tend to get by the highway cruisers as I think they also see a smart car and refuse to believe they can do the speed their camera has told them...lol. Or see another vehicle and I can slide past as mentioned above.   I perfer to stop going so fast and get back to rediculous economy ratings....but when you start it's contagious....and you simply keep doing it.