Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dabar

Need some help!

10 posts in this topic

Hi,-Just recently I've noticed that the ABS sign and "!" turn on for no reason when I'm driving. If I turn off the car and start again the signs turn off for only about 10-15 minutes and come back on. Any Advice before I go to Mercedes, which I hate the most?-I'd like to change my brakes, where can I buy brake pads that will work for the Smart? Again, please don't send me to the dealership ;)-In the last 6 months I've noticed that my radio won't play any burnt CD's, it will work for normal ones but it won't for burnt ones. Does anyone know what's going on?-I've been thinking of changing the radio and installing a new one with GPS. Does anyone have any advice on that? Thank you,Dabar.

ABS & Traction Conrol warnings - could be dirt or rust in the teeth of one or more of the reluctor rings.

Get replacement brake pads from someone like Part4smarts.

I believe the oem radio in 2005-6 smarts in Canada don't play burned CDs. Get the adapter plug from someone like SmartieParts and use an MP3 player instead.

I have no opinion of a new head unit/GPS.

Hope that helps,

Bil :sun:

i had that problem with the abs and esp lights. it was the brake light switch that needed replacing. not sure if that is your problem but that's what mine was. confirmed thru fast eddy and evilution before i ordered the part and replaced it myself.good luck!

"I believe the oem radio in 2005-6 smarts in Canada don't play burned CDs" I have a 1/2 dozen 'home burned' CD's that haven't missed a note yet. Build date - July 2004. M.Y. 2005.

"I believe the oem radio in 2005-6 smarts in Canada don't play burned CDs" I have a 1/2 dozen 'home burned' CD's that haven't missed a note yet. Build date - July 2004. M.Y. 2005.

I stand corrected, Fred. Mine, built 5-5-05 won't play them.

Bil - I am no audiophile like yourself so maybe you could explain why a store bought one would work and a burned one won't. How do they differ? Is it something to do with this CD+ or CD- thing, whatever that means?What did Grundig do to the later '05 sets like yours to not accept home burned ones?Be gentle.It is all Greek to me.Thanks.

Edited by Fred J

Hi,-In the last 6 months I've noticed that my radio won't play any burnt CD's, it will work for normal ones but it won't for burnt ones. Does anyone know what's going on?

Out of curiosity did it use to play burned C.D.'s up until 6 month's ago? Or has it never played them? What is the build date of your car?

I had the same problem... ABS and traction lights coming on after 5 minutes of driving and no codes showing on my scanguage and after taking it to Mercedes in Burlington and they found that it was a sensor that had marks on it and upon further investigation it was caused by a cracked ring at the drive shaft. Lucky for me drive shaft and sensor asy replaced under warrantee. :rolleyes:

Hi again,My Smart is 2005 and the radio was working flawlessly up until 6 months ago no matter what type of CD was inserted. Only in the past 6 months has this problem arisen. Before it would accept the burnt CD but then wouldn't eject and now it won't even accept it. It says "mechanical" on the radio display. I went to Mercedes and they fixed the problem but they told me not to use burnt CD's. Are there after market brakes for a 2005 Smart? I recently read a post by a member that said that he had installed a GPS display in the dash of his Smart. Does anyone have a link to this post or know anything about the subject? He took out the old radio and put in a new one that had GPS in it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.Thanks,Dabar