Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lesmcdonald

Looking for a 450 motor to replace mine

27 posts in this topic

As you have seen, my smart is listed on the forum for sale without an engine. If anyone knows of a Smart write off that has a good motor, please let me know! Les McDonald403-512-9771

If anyone knows of a Smart write off that has a good motor, please let me know! Les, I FOUND 1 diesel engine on e bay in Michigan $2500, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-in-box-Diesel-smart-car-Engine-with-extras_W0QQitemZ300346352965QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie

s?hash=item45ee09a545&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...id=p3911.c0.m14://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...id=p3911.c0.m14://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...id=p3911.c0.m14://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...id=p3911.c0.m14://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...id=p3911.c0.m14://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...id=p3911.c0.m14

Edited by SameGuy

$2500USD is just the minimum opening bid. It could go a little higher ;)

How many folks will want a cdi engine...1. It's in the US where there's probably less than 100 cdi's2. It's in the US........

Maybe that's |Eddie|Eddie|Eddie|'s old blown cdi engine they're selling off in Michgan ;)

Ohhh... six days left in the auction. Come on, 6/49! A spare engine would be a wonderful thing...Bil :sun:

I'd be interested to know details about your engine failure. Your signature indicates 180k, so high mileage was probably a factor. Do you know what part failed?

Your signature indicates 180k, so high mileage was probably a factor.

Well, mine has 142k, 145k after I get back from Florida and I'm in the U.S. Don't worry though, I won't be bidding on it at that price. $2500 for a basically a garden tractor engine is too much. I'd more likely buy a used one from a junkyard and those U-pull-it lots near me sell engines for $150.

Well, mine has 142k, 145k after I get back from Florida and I'm in the U.S. Don't worry though, I won't be bidding on it at that price. $2500 for a basically a garden tractor engine is too much. I'd more likely buy a used one from a junkyard and those U-pull-it lots near me sell engines for $150.

Oh no you didn't! ;)GARDEN TRACTOR ENGINE!? I'll have you know the Mercedes 0.8L common-rail fuel injected, turbocharged, digitally managed Diesel engine in the smart CDi is a high-performance instrument, not a smelly Toro piece of :censored: !

Used CDi engines like this, if you could find one at a pick-a-part lot, go for $5,000 my friend.

Don't you dis' my baby! LOL!

Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

Hey all. Thanks for the wonderful links and help in finding a motor. You folks are all great people. I lost out on that ebay bid. There was either a really quick person on there, or a sniper but I waited too long, started bidding and lost out at the last minute to what I think might have been an automatic bidding system. Personally, I don't think a real person bought it. Perhaps the seller was making sure his motor didn't go for too cheap. Ill be checking out the other ads. For anyone who is intersted, my engine started needing work pretty much after I bought the car. Not break down mind you. But that came, later and more frequently. In the first 60,000 Km I had already re-charged the AC twice, and replaced the turbo 3 times. EGR Valve, often. Then the intercooler went. Then the glow plugs needed to be replaced. At about 95,000 kim, one of the calipers locked up and I had to replace the front calipers and rotors. Then the turbo, once more. I gave up on the AC. It would lose it's charge in a week from being re-charged. Then the clutch actuator went and the car wasn't drivng nice for a while because the actuator was failing. After I got a new actuator, the tranny never felt right. Last winter, the tranny fell out. This sumer, I replaced the Alternator after my car broke down in B.C. on the way home from a trip. Then, not long after the engine blew. Now here I am. I love my smart car but I have been a little more than displeased with my own situation as far as repairs and towing bills have gone. It adds up. On the up side, if someone puts a new motor in this car, the tranny, intercooler, alternator, turbo, battery, and most other engine components are either really new, or lightly used. Brakes are perfect.I'm just not willing to pay over $6,000 for a motor so I'm looking for a used one, or a good cheap new one! Thanks for your help everyone. I appreciate the links and pointers. I'm also happy to sell the car to someone who has a motor as the car is amazing! Clever end, towing package, passion model. It's a nice ride.

I was wondering about the source of that eBay motor. For that matter, any eBay item could be suspect. The couple that revealed selling over a million dollars of stolen items over seven years using eBay, on the Dr Phil show, may be the tip of a giant iceberg. What if the motor was stolen? Could the eBay purchaser be accused of receiving stolen goods? You would definitely lose the item if it was discovered. The documentation which was displayed for the motor would make checking the souce for that particular item fairly easy I'd imagine.

Oh no you didn't! ;)GARDEN TRACTOR ENGINE!? I'll have you know the Mercedes 0.8L common-rail fuel injected, turbocharged, digitally managed Diesel engine in the smart CDi is a high-performance instrument, not a smelly Toro piece of :censored: !

Used CDi engines like this, if you could find one at a pick-a-part lot, go for $5,000 my friend.

Don't you dis' my baby! LOL!

Bil :sun:

$5,000 for a used Smart engine? That is ludicrus! You can get a late model Mercedes V12 engine for less than that: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-02-MERCE...d=p4506.c0.m245

Why not rebuild the engine? Shouldn't be more than $700 or $800.

What company would consider insuring a smart with a Suzki motorcycle engine??? My insurer sure wouldn't.

What company would consider insuring a smart with a Suzki motorcycle engine??? My insurer sure wouldn't.

It's not what's under the hood that counts, it's how you drive it that insurance companies care about.

For you who don't know engine parts below the head for CDI smarts are not available anywhere in the world. MB just puts in a new short block a 8,000.00 repair. Same for major tranny gears not available. I have had a car with a blown engine for over a year and I worked in the parts procurement business and I could not source parts. Before you brate MB engine parts for GM ecotechs not serviced. I have heard Prius engine not serviceable either.The explanation is that the cylinder walls are so thin to increase efficiency that they cannot be bored out. The lesson I learned is that you change your oil and don't push it over the recommended interval. Make of oil is not important. Just that it meets the standards. We tracked it with a multi province fleet of 450+ vehicles. Some switched brands every change, others stayed same, others sampled for extended intervals. Extended intervals and drivers who overloaded and got speeding violations had measurably more engine failures.By the way post office mail carriers vans get their oil changed once a year whether they need it or not.

By the way post office mail carriers vans get their oil changed once a year whether they need it or not.

LOL! I take a bath once a year, whether I need it or not!

The City Of Saskatoon got rid of all their diesel smarts,because of high maintenance costs/problems. I have been told this by a mechanic in the shop. He said they have gotten some new gas smarts.All of the city's vehicles get consistant regular servicing,including oil and filter changes. The heavy equipment, like tractors,etc, get the engine oil and filter changed every 80 hours.I'm not sure how often the cars and truck's oil is changed though.

The explanation is that the cylinder walls are so thin to increase efficiency that they cannot be bored out.

The smart has cast-in-place thinwall iron liners. You should not need to rebore an engine if it's not been run low on oil and a ring or two has cracked. I recently tore down my old Peugeot engine that had 366,000 km on its iron-linered engine and there was no measurable liner wear. a well-maintained engine of any modern brand should be as good.

The lesson I learned is that you change your oil and don't push it over the recommended interval. Make of oil is not important. Just that it meets the standards.

That's just common sense. So you didn't follow that advice?

We tracked it with a multi province fleet of 450+ vehicles. Some switched brands every change, others stayed same, others sampled for extended intervals. Extended intervals and drivers who overloaded and got speeding violations had measurably more engine failures.

450 smart 450 cdis, or what? :mellow:

For anyone who is intersted, my engine started needing work pretty much after I bought the car. Not break down mind you. But that came, later and more frequently. In the first 60,000 Km I had already re-charged the AC twice, and replaced the turbo 3 times. EGR Valve, often. Then the intercooler went. Then the glow plugs needed to be replaced. At about 95,000 kim, one of the calipers locked up and I had to replace the front calipers and rotors. Then the turbo, once more. I gave up on the AC. It would lose it's charge in a week from being re-charged. Then the clutch actuator went and the car wasn't drivng nice for a while because the actuator was failing. After I got a new actuator, the tranny never felt right. Last winter, the tranny fell out. This sumer, I replaced the Alternator after my car broke down in B.C. on the way home from a trip. Then, not long after the engine blew..........

..... towing package, passion model. It's a nice ride.

I wonder whether the towing had anything to do with this disastrous litany of failures! Either that or you got the worst lemon ever made. I've said it before and I will again: the fortwo is a light duty car and over-stressing its engine, transmission and suspension during regular driving is not a recipe for a long and happy relationship.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More