Duck

How-To: Lubricate the Clutch Actuator (450)

39 posts in this topic

I made this video for a friend of mine to show how to lubricate the clutch actuator. One of the easiest things you can do to extend the life of one of the main wear components on your car.

Cheers,

-Iain

1 person likes this

I'll be getting to it this week. My new actuator doesn't squeak and groan like the old one (duh), but it still makes the clicks between gears and the staccato creak at shut-down.I'll be on the Star this weekend to do another adjustment (re-learn and drag-point), as I've told them the new one "doesn't feel right." Once that's all done, in with the lube I go.

Awesome video Mr. Duck !!!!!!I've been putting this off for far too long, until you've shown us just how easy it is too do!!Good on ya man !!!

Duck,Thanks a lot for this video! You are the first one I know of to mention the tip about shifting to neutral to relax the rubber boot. Most helpful!Cheers,

Awsome video man, had my car up on jacks last night to fix my exhaust and i figured it was the eprfect time to lube the actuator. Was very easy, exactly how Iain explained it, and now my car is super quiet when it shifts :)thanks dude

Thanks,It was as easy as advertised :) It is something that I can see doing before and after every winter.Scott

Three Point Motors is now lubing the actuator as part of the B service - nice to see a dealer doing what needs doing.So that would be every 16,000 km or so.Cheers,Cameron

Wicked.I told Neighbour that's what I was doing when he saw me crawl under the back end with the HHS2000 and he said, "Oooh, good idea."When he flogged it on the test drive after I cleared the code he said it shifts ten times better than any 450 he's driven. I told him I may emulate Bil by injecting windshield urethane into the motor mounts and he laughed out loud -- he already thinks I'm a loon.

I already have both products in my garage (if I can find them :huh:) I am going out to do it right after I check the rest of the recent posts. Thanks Duck for such an informative and easy to follow video.Ron

Just wanted to add my thanks to you, Duck, for this great video. Putting the car into Neutral and turning the key to off first makes it so simple to slip the cover off to put the spray straw in. Almost too simple. I may crawl back under the car and attached a round clamp to it to help fight dirt getting in there.I did this and the physical adjustment & software clutch adjustments at the 1st Annual Smart (Inter)Nationals in KC (really Lenexa, Kansas). Bobb Todd, Huronlad and Leonard were there for moral support / supervisory roles.

Edited by briand

That was really helpful, a big thanks for that tip and taking the time to make that video!

I have had my 05 for almost 2 years. I am going to do this tomorrow. thanks for posting!!!

Some of the dealers have picked up on the idea and do it as part of a B service - but that is pretty iffy as some dealers are well, not that smart :lol: - a shot of lube is a pretty cheap insurance policy. I got over 100k on my acuator before it needed replacing.Cheers,Cameron

Mine lasted 88K without lube but the new one is lubed and has....90K on it now.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I made this video for a friend of mine to show how to lubricate the clutch actuator. One of the easiest things you can do to extend the life of one of the main wear components on your car.

Cheers,

-Iain

Awesome video, thanks Duck! I just did this little task....and it went exactly as you described :)

I used the silicone spray, it shouldn't attack the rubber boot

Edited by BJSmart

I'm glad I found this post....3 years old. Going to give this a shot tonight.. Will report back...