Duck

How-To: Lubricate the Clutch Actuator (450)

39 posts in this topic

Hi! I usually remove the actuator (3 screws holding), them remove the rubber boot and metal pin. Wash the old dirty lubricant with brake cleaner and put in new lithium greese, and mount it back. 

Stop dirt and water getting into the mechanism and there will be less need for these procedures. 

Entry points are between rod and rubber boot and between rubber boot and clutch actuator body. Wetting rubber boot in mineral oil as shown in video will make boot swell and ruin actuator due to accelerated ingress of dirt and water. 

Clean areas where boot seals and apply silicone grease. 

Avoid overgreasing internals of actuator as grease may contaminate boot and brush gear on motor. 

I have been removing the actuator, filling it with automatic transmission fluid through the boot, re-installing on the car, then going through the clutch actuation program using DAS, to cycle the actuator. I then remove the actuator, dump out the ATF, and re-install. I use DAS to then do a clutch drag point re-learn. 

I have been surprised how much "junk" comes out with the ATF. It is safe for plastic/rubber/alloy. My clutch actuators are very smooth and quiet using this method, which I repeat every 25-30k km. It must be said that after the initial service when buying the car, when I've repeated this procedure, the innards of the clutch actuator have still been "wet" and the ATF comes back out pretty clean.

ATF will make your rubber boot swell leading to ingress of water and dust and the early destruction of your actuator. 

On 9/10/2009 at 6:08 PM, Duck said:

I made this video for a friend of mine to show how to lubricate the clutch actuator. One of the easiest things you can do to extend the life of one of the main wear components on your car.

Cheers,

-Iain

Is there a preference to what spray is to be used?

for starters he doesnt clean anything...just blindly sprays into an electronic device ...and doesnt bother to lubricate the clutch fork hole

Just now, LooseLugNuts said:

for starters he doesnt clean anything...just blindly sprays into an electronic device ...and doesnt bother to lubricate the clutch fork hole

Mind my ignorance but from my past experiences usually a vehicle forum only pins or tags things that are good procedures for maintenance for the vehicle.

I am sure this person just made a quick video, not sure at all what the proper procedure would be as I dont have a smart yet, but I should by the weekend, and this is the first thing I will be doing to the car. Will look for a more thorough way of doing it now though

the video will work to get rid of the squeaking for a while...but youre better off doing a more thorough service like Tolsen recommends

back when the video was made there was probably less knowledge of the clutch actuator breaking thru the clutch fork...and probably less knowledge of the actuator internals and fail points

I am following now. So what is recommend as the proper way to clean and lube the actuator. 

On 11/09/2009 at 2:08 AM, Duck said:

I made this video for a friend of mine to show how to lubricate the clutch actuator. One of the easiest things you can do to extend the life of one of the main wear components on your car.

Cheers,

-Iain

Hi, I have just came across this thread as I am looking for a resolution for my clutch clicking. Is there any way you still have the video available please. Also what type of grease do you recommend. Thanks

Hi and welcome to the nuthouse and club....many old video were removed by the original poster so no longer available from what I have heard in the past, sorry.

To lube your actuator simply pull back rubber boot after cleaning rod as best you can from rust or crud. Then I simply spray white lithium grease into the actuator and re-install rubber boot. Spray in plenty imho....if your actuator rod is rusty it will simply leak out and semi flush the whole piece.  Now, you could also get creative and blast a can of brake clean into the actuator and flush the whole thing out, if you have compressed air, then blow it dry and as clean as you can, now semi fill with the white lithium grease.....any grease will help the operation of the part.  IF the clicking is coming from the actuator arm where it rides on the clutch fork then you can spray a bit of grease carefully on that area but just a very small amount to see if it is the problem.....a very small amount just to lubricate the two surfaces. Remember your clutch and flywheel is in this area also and grease doesn't play well with these parts. just saying.  IF you have the issue where the rod is starting to bore a hole into the clutch fork then you need to get either a new clutch fork( meaning  taking the engine out etc etc, not recommended, or get someone to weld a old wheel nut onto the your old actuator rod at the same length as it is not longer. This simply makes the rod thicker so it can't bore through the clutch fork lever. Plenty of owner have done this to solve their issues.   Another thing could be that your actuator is incorrectly positioned against the clutch fork and the click is the rod hitting the clutch fork as it engages the clutch...? IF this is the case you simply need to undo the actuator and re-position it firmly against the clutch fork and tighten. It just needs to be as much force as you can get using your arms etc. Not a level or pry bar.   To figure this out you need to get your head under the car while someone else changes the gears or operates the gear level etc.....so you can watch what the actuator is actually doing. Don't get run over....might be a bad day..?

Hope this helps and again welcome.