Duck

How-To: Lubricate the Clutch Actuator (450)

30 posts in this topic

Hi! I usually remove the actuator (3 screws holding), them remove the rubber boot and metal pin. Wash the old dirty lubricant with brake cleaner and put in new lithium greese, and mount it back. 

Stop dirt and water getting into the mechanism and there will be less need for these procedures. 

Entry points are between rod and rubber boot and between rubber boot and clutch actuator body. Wetting rubber boot in mineral oil as shown in video will make boot swell and ruin actuator due to accelerated ingress of dirt and water. 

Clean areas where boot seals and apply silicone grease. 

Avoid overgreasing internals of actuator as grease may contaminate boot and brush gear on motor. 

I have been removing the actuator, filling it with automatic transmission fluid through the boot, re-installing on the car, then going through the clutch actuation program using DAS, to cycle the actuator. I then remove the actuator, dump out the ATF, and re-install. I use DAS to then do a clutch drag point re-learn. 

I have been surprised how much "junk" comes out with the ATF. It is safe for plastic/rubber/alloy. My clutch actuators are very smooth and quiet using this method, which I repeat every 25-30k km. It must be said that after the initial service when buying the car, when I've repeated this procedure, the innards of the clutch actuator have still been "wet" and the ATF comes back out pretty clean.

ATF will make your rubber boot swell leading to ingress of water and dust and the early destruction of your actuator.