Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
garthD

Break pad delamination?

12 posts in this topic

I'm getting a rattling sound coming from my front end (passenger wheel, I think) when I'm drving at a very low speed....usually just before coming to a stop or just as I take off. I'm assuming that I have a delaminated break pad. Car is at about 46K and breaks have never been done. What's the normal symptoms of delamination? The car is still breaking fine, and I'm not hearing any weird noises when drving at normal city or highway speeds.cheers,garth

Edited by garthD

I'm getting a rattling sound coming from my front end (passenger wheel, I think) when I'm drving at a very low speed....usually just before coming to a stop or just as I take off. I'm assuming that I have a delaminated break pad. Car is at about 46K and breaks have never been done. What's the normal symptoms of delamination? The car is still breaking fine, and I'm not hearing any weird noises when drving at normal city or highway speeds.cheers,garth

When was the last time the brakes were serviced?

I had the car in for a normal service and to get the winter tires off sometime in April...they didn't mention anything about the breaks at the time.cheers,garth

I had the car in for a normal service and to get the winter tires off sometime in April...they didn't mention anything about the breaks at the time.cheers,garth

Normal service? They only would have taken the brakes apart and serviced them on a "B" service.

Yes, it was an "A" service in April. My last "B" service was in January of this year. Just looking at the invoice for the "B" now. I had the right and left lower ball joints replaced during that service but no indication of problems with the the breaks. Noise just became noticeable on the weekend.I'm going to make an appointment and put it in to get fixed...I'll just add it to the laundry list of recent problems to fix....driver's handle/lock needs replaced and/or adjusted, rear washer nozzle has just broke for 2nd time, fuel leaking at highway speeds (small leak...injector issue, I think), and the front rattle. Never bloody ends...cheers,garth

Edited by garthD

Yeah I know, but I'm not certain that the pads are the issue and as I have to put it in for another 1/2 dozen problems anyway, it can become their 10 minute repair...

Yeah I know, but I'm not certain that the pads are the issue and as I have to put it in for another 1/2 dozen problems anyway, it can become their 10 minute repair...

you do know that if you need quality brake parts they are just a short drive away....I stock the various EBC parts right here in Kitchenerharald( and if you did not know it, I am taking this opportune moment to remind you and all the other area smart owners.....)

I had the same problem just a few weeks ago. A rattle at low speeds comming from the front end. They told me it the barkes were delaminating and I had to chage the lower ball joints. I got both problems fixed and the noise is now gone and since you just got you ball joints replaced my money is on the brake pads.

Well I had the car in at Victoria Star to get my handful of problems taken care of and I'm happy to report they they found the source of my very intermittent fuel leak. Seems injector #3 was leaking at very high revs. They put in a new o-ring and it still leaked so they popped in a new injector and the problem was solved. They thought the old injector might have been cracked. Covered under warranty.As for the rattling noise at low speed, the service advisor heard it right away when he moved my car, and he commented that he hadn't heard a sound like that coming from a smart before. Anyway, they put it up on the hoist and and found everything in the front end was nice and tight and no delaminated break pads. They then took it for a spin so they could listen to the noise again, and they couldn't hear a thing. I drove the car around for an hour this evening and couldn't hear the noise anymore either so I'm not sure why it is gone...over the past few days it had been very easy to reproduce the noise....I'll have to keep my ears open...Anyway, nice quick service from Victoria Star...I was glad they had the injector in stock. They also replaced my rear washer nozzle for the 2nd time...anyone else having problems with this???cheers,garth

My front-end "dingling" noise started at around 25000 Km, and after reading the delamination stories here I ordered new pads. But my car also stopped just fine, so I've held off installing them because it just seems like such a waste to install new pads on a new car. I'm at 50000 now and the dingling noise is still there at low speeds. I'm convinced it's a pebble or something trapped between the hub and the minimalist backing plate, but I've been too lazy to pull off the rotor (because then I may as well swap the pads!).

It has been to the dealership several times since the noise started and nobody there has ever commented about it. :huh: