Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kattywumpus

Interesting, F600

8 posts in this topic

Nice concept - it looks well executed - one problem with Lithium Ion batteries - if they are damaged they can go boom - dramatically - lithium is a very interesting metal in that respect. Would make accidents and servicing challenging - especially with the amount that would be required to drive the car.

Well we will just have to wait 6 - 9 years to see what happens.

Also there is a converter for mileage - makes comparing easier (okay so it is for those VW TDI Thingys):

http://tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

Cheers,

Cameron

Cripes - I'll take two!

I like that car!

Lithium in its elemental form is very volatile (explodes upon contact with water), but the lithium-ion compounds used in batteries is much much more stable... otherwise there's no way regulatory bodies would allow them to be used in childrens toys (can you imagine - Junior drools on his clapping monkey doll and KABOOM!!). However, under extreme temperatures and/or pressures your run-of-the-mill Lithium/cobalt-oxide (cobalt-oxide is the "ion") will still explode. Not so with the newer technologies out there like the Saphion battery by Valence. I'm not sure what the chemistry is behind the Saphion lithium batteries, but it is proving to be much safer, albeit somewhat less powerful, than regular lithium-ion batteries. I didn't read the entire MB article (I just liked the pictures) but I'm supposing they are using something similar to the Saphion technology... correct me if I'm wrong.

- Steven

I didn't read the entire MB article...

Somehow that was the line from your :BlahBlah: that stood out... :bustamove:

I don't really get what you mean Keith... there was a discussion about LION batteries going on, so I think it is relevant.

- Steven

I guess he didn't read the entire post......

:crackmeup:

Meanwhile back at the post...

There is still the disposal issue with lithium batteries - not insurrmountable but a challenge - especially if you start add the volumes that a vehicle would require - a cordless phone battery is one thing but a 1/4 ton at a time might be enviromentally challenging. Heck - they don't even do a good job of recycling tires or batteries yet.

For reference - it didn't mention much more than lithium batteries in the article so you didn't miss it Steve - no mention of type - mainly dwelled on the fuel cell and all the mega-consumer niceties like rear view cameras and heated and cooled cup holders (I thought the the idea was to get our butts around but still consume less - silly me)

Me - I'll stick to the biodiesel (post warranty of course) - more or less a known quantity- some downsides to that too (displacement of food growing land - not like wheat is selling) but at least they can be dealt with (might have to buy me a couple acres back in the motherland - Saskabush). Oh and a insulated mug.

Cheers,

Cameron