Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smiles

What does gTdj mean on CDI city coupe please?

10 posts in this topic

Hi from Australia Melbourne,I have a 2003 City Coupe petrol.I purchased a CDI instrument cluster for experimental reasons, and just wondered what the gTdj means or stands for on the instrument cluster.Maybe some sort of warning for fuel filter?,servicing??. can anyone shed some light,Thanks Dave.

Can you show us a photo of what you mean? I cant think of what element on the LCD you're talking about. The only strange "combo" section of the LCD is after the 6-digit 7-segment display section, where it uses "kmiLIM", to get both km and mi to show up (and LIM, for the OEM cruise control speed limiter function).Sidebar: I find it adorable that the gas pump icon has a segment for an electric plug sticking out of it, as if during development early on they anticipated an EV.-Iain

Edited by Duck

I hope smiles doesn't mind, but I've attached a photo he PM'd me of the display; it's unlike the displays in our Canadian cdi's. I wonder how many different types were made?post-201-1254174881_thumb.jpg-Iain

That's bizarre... It looks like there is some sort of digital clock functionality (The clock symbol, and the colon about half-way through the odometer zone... The "gTdj" probably lights up only specific letters at a time. Could it be some sort of AM/PM indicator in some other language? Where did the instrument cluster come from?EDIT: Maybe they are indicators for each display mode? (Odometer, trip odometer, fuel left below 5 litres, Clock,etc.)

Edited by FlossyTheSmart

Howdey, Smiles here, this is a good one for you lot who like a challenge.I purchased the Diesel cluster from the UK via ebay..The VIN which is displayed in the instrument cluster is TCC01MCO12H058651. as far as I can tell, this was an early CDI city coupe,around 2002. TTC refers to Europe/Switzerland??Cluster part number is similar to the UK dieserl Smarts- mcc 0010125 v001, 110 008 872 012Internal variant code is b74a81c306820000.Cluster was originally programmed for Miles,not Kms. Temp display was f farenheit not c for celcius. This would be interesting to find out what the letters gTdj mean,maybe service reminder?,fuel filter reminder?.hopefully someone might have a service manual somewhere out there that has an answer to the mystery?

smiles, i would think that, even though the temperature was set to display in Fahrenheit, this cluster is obviously from a ForTwo sold in a non-English-speaking country. You can program the display to do either Celsius or Fahrenheit using MB Star. Best bet would be to find an independent Mercedes repair shop and ask them to hook it up to there Star disagnostic system. Ask if they have MB Star or Win-Star. MB Star is the official MercedesBenz diagnostic system. It has every and anything you'd ever want to know. Win-Star is good but not ideal. Leroy and Leonard on the Smart Car of America forum have extensive knowledge of the MB Star system. I'm sure that the display's computer was "scrambled" and just needs a programming. This might remove any of the cool things on the display. BUT those guys would certainly have a good shot at figuring out what most of those relate to. I've already posted that thought and asked for help on the SCoA forum. :)

Thanks guys for your help,lets hope someone might know what the strange letters mean???, time will tell ???

I found a thread on a German forum discussing the same thing...not too much insight though. Hopefully, this links to the translation...

link

It doesnt affect the functioning of the car,it is interesting to find out what the gTdj letters mean,that is all.the more info I can find out,the more interesting the Smart becomes.Happy motoring :D