Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJV

Pontiac Torrent

68 posts in this topic

We tested a 2005 Vibe Base with the 1.8l engine, 130hp. It had lots of options added to the car though. Sunroof, c/c, a/c, power mirrors, 6 disc CD with 7 speaker system. The Vibe GT has the same engine, just different tuning to get a few more hp. The new 2009/2010 Vibe does have a 2.4l in all but the base model. I'm not as a big a fan of the styling, but it is an option, you just need to find one, which is harder way up here in the north.

The Mazda 3 is a Ford Focus platform so keep that in mind.

But that is only the Euro Focus, not the North American Focus, which uses the older chassis.If looking at an 2005 Mazda3, look for rust at the rear fenders. Very very common. I should know, I have one (the exact same car) and it is going to Mazda for the second time to have the rear 1/4 panels replaced.

Thanks for the tip. I think we've ruled out the Mazda 3 anyway since I don't think I'd be comfortable in it on long trips. It doesn't help that the first time I got in it I smashed my knee into the center console. The car had a lot to prove after that!

Thanks for the tip. I think we've ruled out the Mazda 3 anyway since I don't think I'd be comfortable in it on long trips. It doesn't help that the first time I got in it I smashed my knee into the center console. The car had a lot to prove after that!

We actually bought the car as a long distance travel car. Drives of 10-12 hours are no problem, it is actually really good at that.

Does anyone have any experience with the mitsubishi oulander? Specifically the base model with the 2.4l and CVT transmission? The AWD system they have seems nice.

Well, FWIW, my neighbour (the MB shop foreman) tried to steer me clear of the smart before I went and got it anyway. :D

The more I look at the Mitsu Outlander, the more I seem to like it. The one I'm quite fond of is the 2008, or 2009 LS with the 3.0 V6 and 6spd auto. The fuel mileage ratings on both the 2.4 and the 3.0 are poorer than most other SUV/cross over vehicles in this class, but the selectable AWD system looks really nice. The LS and XLS also have 3rd row seating for two. I know it's really small, and only good for younger people, it still seems like a nice option to have if we keep it for more than 5 years. Third row seats is an option the Forester does not have. You can also find pretty good deals on used 2008 and 2009 outlanders, while 2009 foresters with 20K still sell for nearly new prices (only 5K or so less).It seems to be down to the 2009/10 Forester, or 2008/2009/2010 outlander. Although we found a 2003 Toyota 4-runner SR5, with only 58K kms on it at a local dealer here. It's nice, but at 23,9 it seems priced a bit high, and with a 4.0l V6 it sucks back a lot more fuel than we'd like. There just isn't a lot for options locally. Many people leave town to find used vehicles, and we might have to as well.

Oh, I was going to mention that our 2001 Forester has been sold, so now we can make a final decision on a new vehicle.

Too bad Peugeot dooesn't sell their "4007" version of the Outlander here. It's pretty much the same as the Mitsu version but with a 140 HP and mega-torque HDI turbo diesel.

That would be cool Mike. I wonder where Subaru's plans are for the Forester diesel, I should check into that.

Well, after much debate we finally bought a vehicle. There was very little selection in Terrace here so we made a trip down to Vancouver by air, one-way ticket. I had a big list of vehicles that included a 2007 Toyota RAV4, 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe, Nissan X-Trail, and Saturn Vue. We test drove them all and none of them really wowed us, though the RAV4 was probably our favourite out of the bunch. The Santa Fe had a lot of nice features, but it wasn't as comfortable as we thought it would be. These vehicles were all in the range of 20 to 24,000, depending on how much they would deal.In the end, we saw another vehicle that looked really nice, and had an attractive price. It was a 2003 GMC Envoy, with 120,000km. We took it out for a drive, and we both really liked it. It was very comfy, and has a nice back seat for a baby, with lots of cargo room. So we ended up buying the Envoy, and spent well over $10,000 less than we had originally planned. It's a base SLE, carbon metallic, but has a power driver's package, and many other options added on. On the highway we managed to get around 10.5l/100km (I haven't calculated it yet) for on stretch where we stuck to 100km/h. I think this vehicle will do us well for several years.

Cool! Sounds like you did a lot of homework (and legwork), and stumbled upon the right vehicle for your needs and personal preferences. Congrats!

Thanks. Yes, it was a bit of a stumble, though I knew about them and quite liked them. So far we are really enjoying it, although we're not driving it too much yet. Still using the smart to get to work (my wife and I work at the same office). Once the baby arrives, then the Envoy will get used more!The smart is still going to be my main mode of transport to work.