Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
campbellriverpassion

ESP Light On and Off (on my 450)

18 posts in this topic

My ESP warning light came on steady this morning after I accelerated from a traffic light, slight incline, wet roads. It felt like the tires may have spun a bit on acceleration. I pulled over a half a block later and turned off the ignition, waited a few seconds, then did an unlock (as if to clear the immobilizer-not sure if that would help...). Car started, light was not on. I drove to work for 45 minutes, no events. I started the car to return home and the ESP light was on again. I tried the same reset twice on my drive home but the light remained on. I got into my garage, and tried another reset, but this time, I waited a minute before I did an unlock. After about 30 secs I heard a relay click (from the SAM) and then I did the unlock and started it with no light.I realize that the ESP should come on and flash when activated, is this steady light just a hiccup? Any thoughts or experiences with same problem?Thanks!Rod

It's not normal.....hard to say what it is. If it was wet up there today, it could be the brake light switch is shorting out. Next time the ESP light is on, check if the brake lights work.

I checked the reluctor rings a couple of weeks ago. I bit of minor surface corrosion, but otherwise, look fine. Maybe they are dirty or some wet leaves go jammed in there...if possible. I will check this and the brake lights next time this happens. BTW, no fault codes on the ScanGauge, no associated ABS or Brake lights. Thanks Gents.

The ScanGauge only reads engine faults, not any other type of faults (transmission for example).My money is on the brake light switch as the culprit.

ESP faults won't log in the OBD, but rather on the CAN Bus. It can be pulled up by a Star Diagnostic computer.But you say you have a ScanGauge. Sometimes the OBD connector or the RJ-45 on the SG cable can cause trouble; make sure they are fully seated. I had this issue a while ago.

If the steering wheel angle sensor goes out of alignment too it will throw a fault. I had this issue after I hit a pretty big pothole, it was enough to throw something out of whack in the alignment and the ESP fritzed out. Once I had the car's steering re-aligned, they recalibrated the angle sensor and it was all good.(ESP factors in the angle of the steering wheel to figure out the angular velocity difference between the inside and outside wheels)-Iain

Great pointers guys :D Thank you! I just tried it in the garage and everything is normal...will see how long this lasts.

Edited by campbellriverpassion

My 450 did nearly the same thing in August 09 Failed @ 67,000 km's and I've only driven it through one winter (Bought used @ 21,000 k)First the ESP light came on. Then it was a combination of ESP and ABS warning lights.They wouldn't come on until over 50 KPH.I drove this way for a few weeks and then the engine light came on.Scan Gauge showed a PO-500 ABS Brake FailureCalled Harald @ Parts4smarts and got two new reluctor rings and did a DIY ring change.I had previously cleaned the reluctor rings with emery cloth and couldn't see the cracks...they don't have to be very BIG to send it all whacko!A cracked ring would be my first choice. Both the rings in this "pic" are cracked ...one is obvious the other is not!E.B.

post-5992-1255486367_thumb.jpg

Edited by ETHICAL BEEF

Thanks E.B. I will have to order a set of rings just in case. My car only has 25,000 kms and it's lived on the "Wet" Coast. From the thread from Bil above, seems like you will see both ABS and ESP lights on when the rings are corroded/cracked. Strange that I am not getting the ABS light. Also, nothing normal occurred up to 90 km/hr. Maybe steering wheel angle position sensor as Iain suggests.

Thanks E.B. I will have to order a set of rings just in case. My car only has 25,000 kms and it's lived on the "Wet" Coast. From the thread from Bil above, seems like you will see both ABS and ESP lights on when the rings are corroded/cracked. Strange that I am not getting the ABS light. Also, nothing normal occurred up to 90 km/hr. Maybe steering wheel angle position sensor as Iain suggests.

I thought the problem with mine was the rings as well but MB said no. they only fixed the elect box under warrenty. Make sure you have that work carried out.

What was wrong with the electrical box (SAM)? What did they replace/fix?

the warrenty work is to move it to help keep it dry. Not sure if they did any further work - I did not get charged for additional work. We will see if I have the same problem this winter - I hope not because this car without ESP you need to be careful.

There have been a couple recalls in regards to water getting at the stop lamp switch. Check and make sure all thsoe have been performed. I'd suspect the stop lamp switch.

the warranty work is to move it to help keep it dry. Not sure if they did any further work - I did not get charged for additional work. We will see if I have the same problem this winter - I hope not because this car without ESP you need to be careful.

I am certain that was not the SAM that was moved. That would be one hell of a job. It would be the "Canada" electrical box that used to reside in the battery well that was moved, and it does control the brake lights so a fault there could explain this problem.

I am certain that was not the SAM that was moved. That would be one hell of a job. It would be the "Canada" electrical box that used to reside in the battery well that was moved, and it does control the brake lights so a fault there could explain this problem.

Mike, where did they move the electrical box to? What is housed in there specific to the brake light system? Relay?Apparently, the brake switch has two sets of contacts, one for the lights, the other for the ECU. So it is possible that the brake lights work with one set of good contacts with the other set faulty. Gosh, I wish I had a wiring diagram for all systems on this car!From Evilution:http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=663

that is right. I am hoping that fixed my "ABS/ESP lights" on issue. it has been fine since MB Markham did that recall/warrenty work but we will see this winter.

The Canada box is relocated to the toebaord at the front of the tridion above/behind the foam block.