Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DrTyore

2006 --> 2009 trade in in K/W?

9 posts in this topic

Hey all So, I'm currently 3.5 years into my 5 year lease of my 2006 Smart pure. It has taken a few bumps and bruises, but I had planned on buying it out at the end of the lease. However, the Victoria Star dealership now has quite the deal going on.... they're offering 2k off, and I think another $500 if you're a returning smart car owner, AND they're going to cover ALL services for the first three years of ownership of a new 2009! Also, considering the 2009's are actually LESS expensive overall, and my monthly payments would drop - possibly by as much as $100 / month!! Is there any huge benefits / drawbacks to this deal? Is there any major benefits / drawback to the 2009 vs. the 2006?Opinions would be welcome!Mark

That makes a lot of dollars-and-cents sense! Have you driven a 2009? It's quite a different "animal", but if you like it, how can you turn down a deal like that??

Not sure if THAT is any special deal.Smart Canada has the $2000.00 off as a "mobility rebate" for anyone. The other $500.00 off is a loyalty rebate available to anyone with a Smart. The 3 years free maintenance is also available for a while. Dont forget to ask for the $500.00 "business" discount...they need your business card, ANY business card. Doesnt matter if you are the CEO or janitor of XXX Inc.And then you can start to haggle on the price. Lol

Edited by smartoakville

Make sure to take the new 2009 gas smart for a long drive. Keep it for a couple of days if possible. It's so different in many ways.Also the fuel economy sucks,compared to the diesel. Diesel (s) i've had: 65.5 MPG in the city.2008 gas smart: 46.0 MPG in the city.

It's a no brainer, go for the new car, but get a passion.

I'm just guessing... But I remember when I bought my 06, there was like zero haggle room on the pricing... am I misinformed there and just horrible at this stuff? Or was that sarcasm? I mean, the cars are already like thousands cheaper now!! Mark

I would avoid Smart in the future if I were you. I was planning on trading my 2006 Passion in on a new VW Golf TDI wagon, and all that the dealer was prepared to offer was $6,000 for my car, which is a cream-puff with less than 18,000 kms on it. They would not put it on their lot, and the prices were from the wholesale market. The low prices on the newer Smarts have resulted in very poor resale value on the earlier vehicles. I paid in the region of 20,000 for my well-equipped Smart, which has depreciated by more than half in two and a half years. Had I bought a VW TDI, I would have been in much better shape. Instead, we have decided to hang onto the Smart for at least another year, and basically "drive it into the ground" as it's intrinsic value to us exceeds its market value. Other factors in our present life also played a role, but all the same, it's sad, given the fact that it's a great little car. Sorry not to be more positive...

All new cars are a bad "investment"; so too will the VW. The only sensible thing to do with cars if you're not leasing is to keep them forever. With a lease situation, a new car makes sense. If the OP's car was owned I would say hang onto it.

I agree with you, and that strategy has worked for us with our two other vehicles - which we maintain well and keep in old age. Where it all falls apart is when the needs change and the vehicle is no longer suitable. We'll soldier on for another year with the Smart, which fortunately is a good car with no problems and we'll see what awaits next year. Maybe one of those wagons will turn up on the used car marketplace all nicely depreciated and ready to buy!

All new cars are a bad "investment"; so too will the VW. The only sensible thing to do with cars if you're not leasing is to keep them forever. With a lease situation, a new car makes sense. If the OP's car was owned I would say hang onto it.