Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartmom

clutch actuator

23 posts in this topic

My smart went "bang" and stalled last friday - when I tried to accelerate out of a stop light. After two more stalls I got it to limp along in 1 st gear to a safe spot.After a tow to my dealer I learned that the clutch actuator needed to be replaced.Factory warranty was up last month, and the extended warranty I bought does not cover this.(not original owner by a month and a half so not the smart warranty)Repair cost is $844 - it could be worse.

I'm kinda curious... has anyone ever considered rigging up some sort of manual override device? As in some sort of mechanical piston/solenoid setup to override the clutch actuator when it goes? Since the clutch appears to be dual-normal, it wouldn't seem all that hard to rig up something "Red-Green Style" to have manual control over the clutch...

Hey, I had never heard of a clutch actuator before this morning.I turn on the key and magic happens. My scangage showed no codes, so I hoped the problem was not serious.

The actuator doesn't give ScanGauge codes. My actuator failed definitively at 88,000 km, cost all in was $750, It was allowing clutch slip on upshifts. Nearly 50,000 km on, it's fine.....I kept the old one, which might have only needed a bit of a lube.

I lubed mine last week when I did the B service. Is there any adjustment check, or is that a MB function with the computer? Any need to have it done as preventative?

Yes, there are three electronic clutch adjustments that should be performed every second service or so.

Hi, New to the club here!I had my clutch actuator fail in an intersection, at only 55,992Km <_< . Lucky, for me, I was able to limp it into the dealer, cost $85.01

Yes, there are three electronic clutch adjustments that should be performed every second service or so.

Eddy did mine on the way to Vancouver Island. Second time adjusted in 80,000km. Lubed it myself once a year. This last adjustment was really a micro-tweak by request and it is absolutely plusquamperfectum!

B :sun:

Smartmom Is the extende warranty you bought from m/b dealer or from elseware because i thought the m/b one covered the same as the one that came with the car ?

Hi, New to the club here!I had my clutch actuator fail in an intersection, at only 55,992Km <_< . Lucky, for me, I was able to limp it into the dealer, cost $85.01

They showed you the cost on a warranty work order? That's different.Edit: typo.Speedie, can we finally disable the edit time-stamp for new posts? Say, give a 10 minute grace period. I've ALWAYS hated it the way we have it set. Edited by SameGuy

Have to find if there is a setting for that - also will need approval from the grand high poohpbahs.Cheers,Cameron

I've been asking for that for years, last word was it's doable but not wanted for some reason.

The previous administration preferred it the way it is now. Mike and I have complained about it since Day One.

You mean the previous-previous adminstration - matters not a hoot to me - get Glenn etc. blessing and I will make it happenMeanwhile - has anyone taken apart a failed actuator to see what gave up the ghost? The sector gear wear out or did the motor bag it from too much friction?Seem to recall a picture but I will have to do some digging so if some one has better grey matter and can remember off hand.Cheers,Cameron

I still have mine but there are warnings all over it about NOT taking it apart (mega springs inside).

"Is the extended warranty you bought from m/b dealer or from elseware because i thought the m/b one covered the same as the one that came with the car ?"I bought my extended warranty from the m/b dealer, but it was not the warranty offered to original owners.Mine is a "Secure Drive" Plus warranty by Sovereign Insurance - sold by my m/b dealer.My car had a previous owner and a couple of hundred kms when I got it. I was worried about the yearly A/C fixes I have needed and the unlikely but possible catastrophic engine blow up.the coverage looked pretty good, but a clutch actuator was not included -

...But the clutch actuator should be covered under the standard 4 year/80,000 Km warranty. When was the car first registered?

Put a bucket on your head and go for it Mike! :lol::lol::lol::lol: Strange they wouldn't cover the accuator - even for wear and tear - that low of mileage for a major component failure is not considered normal.Cheers,Cameron

"But the clutch actuator should be covered under the standard 4 year/80,000 Km warranty. When was the car first registered? "My car was first registered about Sept. 22/ 05 - not by me. I was about 6 weeks past the factory warranty. Under 50,000 Kms.I tend to keep vehicles 10+ years, so more warranty is better peace of mind for me. (clutch actuators problems or not.)

Question about the clutch actuator lubbing. What type of lube does it take? Is there a grease serk? If so what type of grease? I just put on 1,800 miles last week which took me to 21,350 miles. I am in VA and there is no place to get the B service done on our 03 European Gas smart so I will have to wait until I get back to the WA area to get it done.ThanksDennis

Question about the clutch actuator lubbing. What type of lube does it take? Is there a grease serk? If so what type of grease? I just put on 1,800 miles last week which took me to 21,350 miles. I am in VA and there is no place to get the B service done on our 03 European Gas smart so I will have to wait until I get back to the WA area to get it done.ThanksDennis

Here ya go: http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=19141