Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tan

Used Snow Tires

19 posts in this topic

I have an opportunity to buy a set of barely used snow tires - Continental Contact with rims. He is asking $600.00 - just wondering if this is a good deal? He's had them for four years but said he only used them once and then decided not to use his cabriolet in the winter. The tires still have that red line? on them. :huh:

Pass. For that kind of money, get some new snowies at a tire store. Lots of sales on right about now.2ctsBil :sun:

Pass. For that kind of money, get some new snowies at a tire store. Lots of sales on right about now.2ctsBil :sun:

If they still have the stripes on the tires, then they are litterally brand new. Considering a new set of rims alone is about $400, that is a really good deal.Personally, I don't like mounting and dismounting tires onto a set of rims every season. It is hard on the tires, and the rims are going to get scratched and it does not take long for paying for this to be more than the cost of a set of rims anyways. Does not make sense IMHO.

Hold on a minute. If the vendor says he has had them for 4 years then they are for a 450 and not for the member's 451. Pass on them.

Hold on a minute.If the vendor says he has had them for 4 years then they are for a 450 and not for the member's 451.Pass on them.

Good catch, missed that one........

Deleted. My bad. I hope to learn to read for comprehension in 2010

Edited by bilgladstone

good price if you have a 450 and they have 8mm tread depth or better.... not that the OP does in this case...Good eye Fred as usual

Hold on a minute. If the vendor says he has had them for 4 years then they are for a 450 and not for the member's 451. Pass on them.

:o So does this mean they will not fit? I did notice they have 3 bolts?

:o So does this mean they will not fit? I did notice they have 3 bolts?

No, they will not fit your 451. They will only fit a 450 model.

OK. Thank you. The guy selling them told me they would fit because they have the 3 bolt pattern. I told him I would have to check it out first. I don't know anything about wheels/tires/bolt patterns.

I run my 450 snows and rims on my 451. It causes no problems and any offset diff. is hardley noticable.

That's just ASKING for trouble!!! You could be held liable, if your vehicle is involved in a collision.You could be sued, by the people you hit.You may also be charged by the police,for having some sort of an unsafe vehicle,and thats just to name a few.Take them off your car. It's not worth the risk!

That's just ASKING for trouble!!! You could be held liable, if your vehicle is involved in a collision.You could be sued, by the people you hit.You may also be charged by the police,for having some sort of an unsafe vehicle,and thats just to name a few.Take them off your car. It's not worth the risk!

Enough is Enough!!Why are we creating paranoia bordering on hysteria?A few mm offset difference is not the end of the world.Look around at the thousands of after market mags and all the generic black steel wheels sold for winter tires, that are used because 'they fit'.Using alternate mix and match wheels has been going on since the first Model T rolled off the line.Remember that this is the same forum that recommends using an undersized front wheel as a spare on the rear and promoted the sale and use of the super small compact wheel & tire because they fit behind the seat.

Many cars come with temporary spares that are way undersized. At least using a front wheel on the rear, or the skinny spare you are still getting the same circumference.Another issue with the offset difference is bearing wear. How bad, I don't know.

WOW you need a reality check!!!! The offset will not cause any of that!! Race cars change offset in wheels regularly and they are under far more stress than a Smart car will ever encounter. OEM's sell the same cars with different offsets for diff. trim levels. I've run a auto parts store for 22 years and can tell you your wrong in saying it's unsafe to change offsets.