Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
briand

Windscreen Impact

13 posts in this topic

*sigh* Was exiting off a highway here and the car in front of me ran over a large, rectangular metal object, kicking it into the air and my windscreen. If I would not have been following at a safe distance, it would have gone through the center of the windscreen.

Posted Image

Now begins my quest for the windscreen molding. Anyone know of a place that can (a) sell it a reasonable cost (B) ship it quickly at a reasonable cost) © there is no c and (d) would have - or know where to find - the plastic cover that goes on the inside of the rear window. It covers the rear wiper motor and some other bits.

Edited by briand

If it's any consolation, that hit was at the best place. No damage to the tridion (or powdercoat on it) and not in front of the driver --- possibly causing a serious accident. Good luck with the repairs ---- your dealership should be able to get the moldings.

I suppose you can get what you need from G&K to GA :dunno:Or maybe someone from Ontario can hook you up. Good luck, cousin!

deezle, yes it could have been worse. My dealership cannot get the molding as this is a 450 in the USA. 450s were never sold by Smart in the US. So the molding and glass have to come from Canada or Europe. Or maybe G&K Auto will have some, as bilgladstone suggested.

The projector headlights are part of the G&K conversion. I think they are the lights out of a Roadster.

And I thought the 18 inch crack that developed this week in my windshield was bad -- just before mine and Onyx's birthdays (50 and 1, respectively). What is the shame and peeve is that is started as a chip and before I could get the chip fixed Calgary's lovely - let's be plus 15, no let's be minus 2 back and forth see saw weather. Or as some people call "Wait 5 minutes maybe you'll like that weather better" weather. The chip became a crack :angry: C'est la vie. I will have to look into a new windshield, as well.

This time of year, I fear a broken windshield far more than the snow in the mountains frightens me! That's not sand on BC highways, that's ... scree!B :sun:

Bad luck!I beleive the rubber molding is about $100.Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Brian,Have you tried the smart dealership in Buckhead, Atlanta? Ken Secrist is the service manager there and they have serviced and procured parts for several 450's... (404) 425-5560.HTH,

Brian,Have you tried the smart dealership in Buckhead, Atlanta? Ken Secrist is the service manager there and they have serviced and procured parts for several 450's... (404) 425-5560.HTH,

Thanks gaucho. I haven't talked to Ken directly but everyone else that works at smart center buckhead loves my car and tries to help where they can. Kelly, the lead mechanic, can't get anything for it unfortunately. :(