Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billr

Brake syst, ABS, ESP lights on

20 posts in this topic

First time its happened, all 3 lights stayed on after starting, wouldn't reset after a re-start, or lock unlock and re-start. I do have a Scangauge installed that I put in a week ago.Drove car on a short trip, after coming back and starting they went off like normal.Is it the Scangauge? Brake light switch (I didn't check to see if brake lights worked, will next time)? Or maybe reluctor rings? PFM?Bill

Edited by billr

Something like this has happened to a couple of us. Turn off the car, make sure the connections to the scanguage are seated properly, wait for the relays to click (about 15 seconds after turning off the car), then it should be fine. If the same issue continues, unplug the scangauge cable, it may be faulty.MG

my ABS and ESP lights both went on about 5kms from the dealership when I picked up my (used) 05.....drove right back and they fixed it:Speed Sensor

Something like this has happened to a couple of us. Turn off the car, make sure the connections to the scanguage are seated properly, wait for the relays to click (about 15 seconds after turning off the car), then it should be fine. If the same issue continues, unplug the scangauge cable, it may be faulty.MG

Ok, will try it if it returns. Thanks. For sure the easiest thing first.Bill

I have had intermittent issues with all three lights coming on and also only the ESP light coming on. This intermittent lights only came on with the Scangauge installed. Once I removed the Scangauge, the light(s) never came back. I checked my connections and they were all good. I have used this Scangauge on other vehicles we owned, no problems. I contacted Linear Logic and this was their reply:

"I can make a modified cable that should get around the issue. There is a chance that the ESP light if powered through the OBDII port, and a modified cable should keep from triggering the light. Please reply with your address and I will send you the cable."

Cable is on it's way and I will see if this fixes this for good.

I have had intermittent issues with all three lights coming on and also only the ESP light coming on. "I can make a modified cable that should get around the issue. There is a chance that the ESP light if powered through the OBDII port, and a modified cable should keep from triggering the light. Please reply with your address and I will send you the cable."Cable is on it's way and I will see if this fixes this for good.

I would be concerned that a brake sensor, reluctor ring or similar is triggering the solitary ESP light.Of course once the modified cable is installed the false indicators should be gone as in my case &the ESP system can be repaired, if need be. (which mine was) Edited by strawboss

My intermittent ESP light only comes on with the Scangauge connected. Usually does it once per day. I've had the Scangauge out with zero occurrences. Not a single one for weeks!

I've had the same multiple dash light occurrence. In my case, the odometer jumped its count also.I sent my SG2 to Linear Logic to have it checked. They called me and told me this was a COMMON problem with smart cars. They sent me a modified cable and my original cable back, all within one week. Awesome service and work ethic. Pleasant to talk to also. Thousands of miles later, no problems. I use the original cable on my other vehicles, nice to have it...My original post on this subject is here somewhere, if you care to do a search...HTH,

I've had the same multiple dash light occurrence. In my case, the odometer jumped its count also.I sent my SG2 to Linear Logic to have it checked. They called me and told me this was a COMMON problem with smart cars. They sent me a modified cable and my original cable back, all within one week. Awesome service and work ethic. Pleasant to talk to also. Thousands of miles later, no problems. I use the original cable on my other vehicles, nice to have it...My original post on this subject is here somewhere, if you care to do a search...HTH,

Same here, they sent my new cable right away. Just received, will install soon. The problem hasn't come back again yet, but will put in the cable they sent anyway.

Bill,Their explanation was that smart uses a couple of circuits in the OBDII hardware for something related to schedule maintenance alerts (the spanner/s on the dash), and that somehow seems to affect the input/output to/from the SGII. The modified cable has two pins cut off.Take care,

I just fired off an email to them. Started having similar problems as soon as my battery was correctly installed...If it isn't one thing.....it's another.. :DRandom ESP light on when vehicle started.

Edited by MightyMouseTech

I received my modified cable last Friday. So far, working great! Nice to have the ScanGauge connected again :D

when the ESP and ABS lights stay on those systems are disabled right? Happened to me last winter and you need to be extremely careful on snow. If it happens to me again I will try to get a new scangauge cable.

I had same thing happen about two months ago, right after the car had been in for an A service. The three lights came on one morning and would not go off, despite several restarts during the day. I called and made an appointment to bring the car in, and, in the interim, disconnected the SGII. The next time I started the car, the lights went off, I plugged the SGII back in again, and it's been fine ever since... One of life's mysteries, I suppose...

Email or call Linear Logic and they will gladly send you the cable for the Smart at no cost. I put mine on the other day and its been fine. I also had just the one time with the lights on before I got the new cable.Bill

when the ESP and ABS lights stay on those systems are disabled right?

Yes they are disabled. I will miss NOT having the hill holding feature though. I really hate it and wish I could disable it permanently. Why put a hill holder feature on a car with only two pedals? I have two feet.... ;) My new cable should be here soon. A couple emails back and forth with them and they fired one off.