Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

The black baby

25 posts in this topic

Liz and I welcomed the new baby to our family last week.He had been abandonded because he was no longer running and had swallowed an oil chain.Looks like there will be a resusitation project this winter :D

post-35-1258487251_thumb.jpg

post-35-1258487262_thumb.jpg

post-35-1258487273_thumb.jpg

post-35-1258487297_thumb.jpg

post-35-1258487317_thumb.jpg

post-35-1258487331_thumb.jpg

post-35-1258487386_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the new addition!I hope that you're also planning to give the interior a trip to the spa! The former owner appears to have had poor hiegene habits :yuk: Winter won't be dull.Keep us posted on your progress!Lyle

Glenn, curious as to the mileage on the new member of the family? Or was it more of an issue of lack of maintenance?

Gosh... only 86,000km overdue for the last B service. No wonder it ate the chain!

May I ask: along with mileage, how's it trimmed out, and what was the price? It makes for a neat project car if it doesn't need many parts.

Well, if you get 'er going by next summer, you'll have another oven to bake cookies in!In the meantime, you won't need to buy any more rock salt (just scrape it off the floor).You're going to have to get another garage, er, nursery.Ian

:biglaugh: the black baby is one of the originals from Sept 04-, has 243,000 kms, and is not running. The oil chain was found in the oil pan. An all black pure , coupe, with AC, clock, tach, underseat drawer.All for less than $2000. When I got it last week the battery was still charged, so it hasn't been ''down'' long.And I'm thinking whoever did the oil changes didn't know how to reset the service indicatorI want to remove the engine over the winter and see if it's possible to rebuild. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

All you'd have to do would be to buy a new chain and fit it, right?-Iain

Good price though, but Wow,dirty seats eh?And you can sure see the 2 different blacks used in painting in that first picture.Steve

Edited by Coast Steve

All you'd have to do would be to buy a new chain and fit it, right?-Iain

It depends how long the engine was run without any oil circulation.There's a possibility the rings, pistons were affected as well.In 2 other cases there were also rocker arm problems.

If you are replacing the chain, gears and tensioner, you may as well change out the oil pump, seals and mounts. At over 200k they may look good, but better to be safe.Have a good look at the bearings while its out and beware that the valves can be bent due to piston interference.I don't want to rain on your parade, but I have been through this before with a different (race) vehicle.Robert

The black baby sheds his skin in aid of a good cause.Put the black panels on Gina yesterday so that I can continue to drive her while the vandalized panels get repaired and painted.The second blurry picture shows Gina on the hoist getting the dual exhaust rem'd. Anyone interested in a chrome dually with custom made valance????

post-35-1258724661_thumb.jpg

post-35-1258724676_thumb.jpg

post-35-1258724728_thumb.jpg

post-35-1258724770_thumb.jpg

post-35-1258724807_thumb.jpg

post-35-1258724824_thumb.jpg

Looks good!When you change out the colour, don't forget to go to the MTO and have the colour changed on the Registration. A friend got a ticket and fine for it when he was stopped for something else. Seems stupid, but he had to pay it. I think its no cost to change. Bill

Smart car colours would normally be registered as either black or silver according to the tridion cell, not by panel colour for exactly that reason.My wee smartie is stream green, but for insurance and registration it is black.Bil :sun:

Mine too, Bil!Looking good, Glenn!! The black, which matches the tint, looks great!-Iain

Hi Glenn !

After the dark clouds over Gina - now she shines like the sun again :sun::) in her new clothing.

River Silver on the rear valance and the front spoiler would make the extra impression, - IMO.

- Not to mention The 450½ Mod

Yours Truly CcL :)

Edited by Kofångar-Lasse

The oil pump is chain-driven, and a few have snapped with "fun" consequences.

Not so much fun. ours went and it cost us ten grand for a new engine and parts, labour. course now we have the old one to rebuild. that I don't think will be fun either. :angry: Karen

The poor black baby kept donating parts over the last 3 years. Now it is time to finish the dismantling.I will have a lot of parts to keep me going.Anyone interested in the frame?

post-35-1355671332_thumb.jpg

post-35-1355671390_thumb.jpg

post-35-1355671537_thumb.jpg

post-35-1355671601_thumb.jpg

post-35-1355671643_thumb.jpg