Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brd

Can We Move 450 Threads to the 450 Forum?

22 posts in this topic

I just did a quick skim through this "General vehicle operation and maintenance" forum looking for a thread on 451 software updates. Glancing at the titles, tt looks like ALOT of the threads are for the 450 NOT the 451.Could somebody PLEASE move the 450 threads to the correct "450 General vehicle operation and maintenance" sub-forum?thanks in advance

I just did a quick skim through this "Modifications and Performance" forum looking for a thread on 451 software updates. Glancing at the titles, it looks like ALOT of the threads are for the 450 NOT the 451.Could somebody PLEASE move the 450 threads to the correct "450 Modifications and Performance" sub-forum?thanks in advance

Good point. Do I hear you volunteering to moderate this forum? We sure could use the help.

I'm not sure I agree. You want the main "General Vehicle Operation and Maintenance" forum dedicated to the 451, and we should deprecate all the 450 threads into a yet-more-hidden sub-forum?

Again, who decided this? Why should the main forum be dedicated to the 451 -- of which there are perhaps 5000 in Canada, and a rather lacklustre "modding" scene -- while the 450 threads get deprecated to a hidden sub-forum?

That's the way it's always been (regular area for 451, sub-area for 450), but I agree, the 450 should be out front, and 451 in behind.-Iain

Some forums provide the ability to add a prefix to the thread title via a selection from a drop-down list. If this can be done then all thread titles can be prefixed by a predefined code (e.g. 450, 451, 452, other) so that all posts can coexist in one forum. This may simplify forum maintenance, in particular as new models (e.g. MHD, EV) are introduced.Moderators: Please merge the two 'Move 450' threads.

Some forums provide the ability to add a prefix to the thread title via a selection from a drop-down list. If this can be done then all thread titles can be prefixed by a predefined code (e.g. 450, 451, 452, other) so that all posts can coexist in one forum. This may simplify forum maintenance, in particular as new models (e.g. MHD, EV) are introduced.Moderators: Please merge the two 'Move 450' threads.

I disagree - having two sub-forums (one for 450 and another for 451) under "General Vehicle Operation and Maintenance" for example is more useful and more user friendly. The other smart forums I've been on seem to do that. Hard to imagine but retailers even do it that way!Having mhd or ev sub-forums or thread prefixes under the 451 sub-forums would work.

But seriously, how busy is this place that we need to keep segregating threads into deeper and deeper sub-fora?

I agree... too many sub-fora is never a good thing. Is there any way to 'tag' a post to indicate 450/451 or ask posters to include the model when posting?

But seriously, how busy is this place that we need to keep segregating threads into deeper and deeper sub-fora?

That's my thinking as well. If titles were prefixed and traffic does increase significantly in the future then it would be an easy job to split the threads out into sub-forums. Having the information all in one place also makes it easier to be aware of issues with models other than your own; it could be useful since they do have similarities.

I agree that the drop-down menu for tags is a good idea. I'm not sure that's an option on Invision Power Boards at the subscription level we enjoy, but I know it works very well on vBulletin boards at entry-level subs.

We are sort of stuck at the current version of Invision - since only TFM has master rights - (unless Awesys does) - so bare in mind all these great notions are pivital on access there may not be - also all this stuff takes time - some thing that a lot of idea put forwarders are often short of coming up with to back up their convictions. As far as nesting directories further and further down - well we tried that - the result was not so hot with most folks. To be fair there would need to be 2 forums not just shuffle the 450 stuff out of some the newer owner's way. We had issues with stuff getting shuffled off to archive - only to be needed again.Better still I should publish a "How to use the search function effectively" document - it does work if you use it rightCheers,Cameron

Admins can change the forum layout, and I have already requested that we move forward, just waiting for the keys. We're wanting to unbury the 450 stuff, not buey the 451 stuff. Basically, subforums be gone. Beginnoing with the regional forums expecially.

Admins can change the forum layout, and I have already requested that we move forward, just waiting for the keys. We're wanting to unbury the 450 stuff, not buey the 451 stuff. Basically, subforums be gone. Beginnoing with the regional forums expecially.

what you are doing is illogical - you're moving backwards NOT forward. Subforums is the rational way to go.