Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mainefortwo

smart 2.0

4 posts in this topic

Today I visited the smartcenter for my 30,000 mile (48,280 km) service. While there I also had the "smart 2.0" upgrade which flashed the 2009 transmission software into my 2008 Passion Coupe. When I was notified by smart about this free upgrade I was skeptical as I shift with the paddles 99% of the time and the stick 1% of the time and thought it would not make any difference, boy was I wrong! I am unsure exactly what coding was changed, but it appears the throttle closure is slowed which smooths out the transition during shifting and improves coasting while decelerating and downshifting. This may actually improve my fuel consummation, time will tell.Anyone who has a 2008 smart and was notified of this free upgrade and has not done so should consider it, the drive home to Maine made me a believer! :D PS: My owners manual was also replaced at the same time with a revised copy.

There seems to be two approaches to manual shifting: shift-then-lift and shift-and-hold. I'd be interested to know which method you currently use and whether the upgrade will change that.

Putt Putt is a 2009 model and :D Ive been using the shift and lift method. I really like the way one can go between "auto" mode and manual mode by using the paddles. :D

Like I have always done with a standard transmission, I lift, then shift, then accelerate (or decelerate). As they say, the smart teaches you its dance. The 2.0 upgrade seems to smooth out this transition and I'm glad it was done.