Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fairsider

Rear wiper mod on 450 coupe?

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,Some time ago, I remember reading that the covered rear wiper arm from a curren VW Golf would fit the rear of the Smart 450 Coupe. I'm sure I wasn't dreaming it, but I can't seem to find the post with the VW part number. I'm sure I've seen it before.Having now installed Bosch Aero wipers on the front end, and I promise not to make another shameless plug for FastEddy (but boy are they great!), I'm now trying to find something better to replace the stock rear wiper arm and blade, which chatter and make quite a racket.Can anyone point me in the right direction?Lyle

fairsider, you can also use the 451's rear wiper parts. Good to know if you're in a pinch and absolutely need the part.

The parts are as follows:

[*]rear wiper nut cap A 451 824 01 19

[*]rear wiper arm A 451 824 00 28

[*]rear wiper blade A 451 824 01 26

Careful... too-tall covered wipers may interfere with window washer spray stream.Bil :sun:

[*]rear wiper nut cap A 451 824 01 19

[*]rear wiper arm A 451 824 00 28

[*]rear wiper blade A 451 824 01 26

rear wiper nut cap A 451 824 01 19 Does not need to be ordered. It comes with 'rear wiper arm A 451 824 00 28'.

Save yourself a few dollars.

Edited by pinhead19

No cap nut is supplied with the new (451) arm you just re-use the nut from the old (450) arm and all is well.

I put on the 451 wiper arm, it is a bit shorter than the 450 one but it looks leagues better.One could argue that it puts less strain on the wiper motor... :rolleyes: -Iain

I put on the 451 wiper arm, it is a bit shorter than the 450 one but it looks leagues better.One could argue that it puts less strain on the wiper motor... :rolleyes: -Iain

Do you find it interferes with the washer spray or not? I had one that looks great but chopped the spray pattern. Edited by bilgladstone

No, I haven't noticed a problem... but, then again, I've never stood out back and asked someone else to squirt it. :) I'll try that sometime and let you know!-Iain

I never liked the way my rear wiper would skip on the backglass, especially when salt and road dirt got into the spring point on the arm. It also looked skimpy and old fashioned to me.It was never worth the aggravation to do anything about it, but I found an answer by accident a while ago.I work for a Lincoln dealership, and while PDIing a 2009 Ford Escape, it struck me that its rear wiper looked about right. I borrowed it and tried it on my smart. It mounts perfectly and is a little longer from the pivot to the end of the blade, coming to ~1/2" from the bottom edge of the backglass on the bottom of its sweep, so there's a little more coverage of the glass.It doesn't interfere with the washer jet in any way, and it's a "smooth" design that appears to be a single unit at first glance (similar to the Nissan Micra unit pictured on the Evilution web page link above).Go to your nearest Ford dealership if you want.

Edited by Frankie X

To continue...I wasn't at work last night when I posted, so here's further info.Of course I paid employee trade cost, but here's part numbers and retail prices:Arm: 8L8Z-17526-C @$36.25Blade: WW1202 @ $12.00

Also OT:

Thanks, Duck.

It's by AnarchyAdAgency and can be purchased from UnAmerican Activities: The UnAmerican Truth

My wife thinks it's confrontational, but in the 3 years it's been on the car, I've had quite a few laughing, positive responses, usually from young guys on motorcycles.

On the other hand, I also bought a modified silver stick-on Jeezus fish for my car- it has tentacles all around it and represents our Lord and Creator the Flying Spaghetti Monster, surrounded by the glory of his noodley appendages. That just sits in the little drawer because I'm afraid that if I put it on my smart, the car will be vandalized. Believers are by nature more violent in their judgment than sheep are.

Edited by Frankie X