Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shakey

Alignment

31 posts in this topic

Ok, that's what I thought it referred to, based on Lat. and Long. coordinates. But really, how the heck do you measure 13 seconds of arc? hehe These specs must have come from the stone age or something. So, are there specs in mm anywhere?

When doing an alignment, we do not use mm. We use degrees as degrees is independant of wheel size, while mm's are not.

Ok guys, I got it. I guess I've never seen official alignment specs before then. I've always seen camber and caster as degrees, but I thought that I had seen toe as mm before.Anyways, thanks for the clarification, it does make sense of course for it to be angle and not distance between the tires.

Just to follow up and in case anyone was interested....2 new front tires and an alignment at Active Green and Ross cost me $360 after taxes and extra costs (109 per tire, 79.99 for the alignment).Cheers,Shakey

Any shop should be able to do it as long as the car fits on the rack......

Actually, I found that to be quite a problem. I went to four different shops, all who thought they could do it, and then found the car was too small for their rack. I finally got smart (!) and phoned the dealer, who said they use (of all things) the local Mitshubishi dealer to do it.Cheers! Dang

Actually, I found that to be quite a problem. I went to four different shops, all who thought they could do it, and then found the car was too small for their rack. I finally got smart (!) and phoned the dealer, who said they use (of all things) the local Mitshubishi dealer to do it.Cheers!Dang

Yes, that will be true for pretty much all alignment racks. But the rear wheels do not have to go on turn plates as the rear is not adjustable. So you only have to get the fronts on the turn plates. Our problem here is that the front tires only have about 1" of clearance before it falls through the middle of the hoist. I get REAL nervous every time I put one on, and will have two spotters to make sure it does not fall off.Even though I work at an Acura dealer, our attached body shop is also the body shop for one of the local smart dealers (also Subaru, MB, BMW and Mini) so the techs here do all the mech work on all those brands of cars, including alignments.