Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xakinedmonton

Winter Tires

21 posts in this topic

Ok.. well today was SUPER F**King fun with summer tires in the snow.. so my question is..Where can i find winter rubbers that are cheap and good in edmonton.. I think at this point anything would be better than summer ( eco ) tires..Thanks

Yeah well i have never had to buy winter tires before, i moved up here in march... Driving in snow.. not new to me.. buying things for snow.. yeah all new to me.. its actually been very well up till trying to drive today...

I hope your idea of cheap is around $500 or $600, unless you can find some used winter tires. :mellow:

anything under a grand would make me happy.. the last quote i had was around 1200$ freaking crazy, tires for my volvo was 600ish

I hope your idea of cheap is around $500 or $600, unless you can find some used winter tires. :mellow:

I was told this.. Does this sound right " The tires I can supply are a Bridgestone blizzak and for all four tires installed and GST would cost 593.00"for tires in edmonton?

Hello All: I had a 2006 450, and recently upgraded to a 451. I have rims and snow tires (Contis) for the 450. I understood that the 451 has all-season tires, which are better all-rounders than the 450 tires, but I'd really like to put snows on. The local garage said that the difference was not so huge, and that I could use the old rims and tires. Then I called the Smart dealership and they said I could use the old front tires, but I'd need all new rims and two new rear tires, which have some kind of tire pressure sensor in them. This would cost $1450+!!!!! (The thunk you hear is me falling on the floor...) :o Can anyone clear this up for me? Any help appreciated!

When i bought my winter tires and steel rims from mercedes in 2007 it was 900 bucks for everythingSwapping tires back and fourth on the same wheels is a complete waste of money.Do it twice or three times and you have paid for the steel winter wheels.25 bucks for a small hydraulic jack from crappy tire and a piece of wood behind the tire, a ratchet and a socket and yer laughing.If you really want too be accurate a cheap torque wrench from Princess Auto for 30 bucks and you can tourque them too spec.It's 12 lug bolts, takes about 20 minutes too completely swap them over?Storing the other set is another story though, i'm lucky i have a shed .

Hello All: I had a 2006 450, and recently upgraded to a 451. I have rims and snow tires (Contis) for the 450. I understood that the 451 has all-season tires, which are better all-rounders than the 450 tires, but I'd really like to put snows on. The local garage said that the difference was not so huge, and that I could use the old rims and tires. Then I called the Smart dealership and they said I could use the old front tires, but I'd need all new rims and two new rear tires, which have some kind of tire pressure sensor in them. This would cost $1450+!!!!! (The thunk you hear is me falling on the floor...) :o Can anyone clear this up for me? Any help appreciated!

It is true that all four wheels on the 451 require TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) sensors. It's also true that the offsets of the 451 wheels versus the 450 wheels are different, especially the rears.A set of four new 451 steelies with TPMS senders and new Schrader valves installed, plus four new snow tires mounted and balanced, should run you about $1,100 and tax. You can defray that expense by selling your 450 set.HTH,Bil :sun: ... smelling salts, anyone?

how much for the set rog man!?

how much for the set of what????

Maybe he meant he might like to buy Munchkin's 450 wheels so Munchkin could get new 451s :dunno:p.s. this was a multi-quote. It does work!

Try Car Modifiers in Ottawa, got mine there 2.5 years ago. Try www.carmodifier.comAll 4 -- mounted and balanced and shipped were around $876. Hankook Ice Bears but I'm not sure if they are available anymore. But they should have something comparable. at least when I get my next set, I will go to them again. Calmar, AB. Look around for me, I'm the only one with a spare mounted on the rear, in Edmonton area-- Maybe in Alberta!!

Thanks for the info, Bil! And as for the 4 rims and Conti tires for 450, I'm located in Toronto -- any offers welcomed: 2 winters of city use.

It's also true that the offsets of the 451 wheels versus the 450 wheels are different, especially the rears.

I saw a 451 driving down the Queesway here in Ottawa a couple days ago, and they had obviously installed 450 winter rims on it. I could tell it didn't look right from 200m away! The rear wheels were half stuck out of the wheel wells! It almost looked like a dually from the rear end, while the front tires were normal looking. That can NOT be good for handling.....

I paid about $900-ish at Weber last winter for my winters (Conti TS800) and rims for my 451. I would think a set for the 450 would be similar in price, if not a bit cheaper. I didn't bother with the pressure sensors, the $400 was better off in my pocket. I can live with the warning light on the dash until spring, I just check the pressures myself every couple weeks or so. There's no harm in not having the sensors installed. When I put my summers back on I just inflate them to the correct pressure, hit the reset button on the dash and away I go.

I was told this.. Does this sound right " The tires I can supply are a Bridgestone blizzak and for all four tires installed and GST would cost 593.00"for tires in edmonton?

Clarify they're the new Blizzak WS60's and not the absolute garbage LM18's. The LM18 Blizzaks are worse than summer tires, honest. Worst tires I've ever wasted money on.-Iain

Ok.. well today was SUPER F**King fun with summer tires in the snow.. so my question is..Where can i find winter rubbers that are cheap and good in edmonton.. I think at this point anything would be better than summer ( eco ) tires..Thanks

Any luck with finding reasonably priced tires in Edmonton? I've only had my smart 06 for a couple of weeks and today's weather demands snow tires NOW! I heard Derrick Dodge was cost plus 10%.