Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PrairieBoy

Ford Escape 4x4 Hybrid

21 posts in this topic

I was just looking at cars on Ford's website. I knew they had an 'Escape Hybrid,' but i didn't think they made a '4X4' version.They do,and it get's great milage in the city!! They say it uses only 6.6L/100KM (city), and only 7.3L/100 KM (highway).This is almost as good as the 451 gas smart in the city! Smart says the 451 uses 5.9L/100KM in the city.Might as well drive one of these Ford Escape 4X4 hybrids in the winter.(They are expensive though.)Does anyone own one of these?

We ordered a '08 new. We did not buy the 4wd version. The difference in cost of extended warranty with 4wd was almost Mercedes-like and we already owned a smart.You should know that the numbers listed vary with the weather. Our actual readout (according to the car) in the summer is 6 litres per 100 km mixed highway city driving with the a/c on. It is remarkably easy to maintain 6 on a long highway trip (like to Florida and back).Now that the weather is colder, we are stuck at 8 to 9 under the same conditions.I know that some improvements have been made to the systems since ours was built, but even so, the 4wd version fuel numbers sound optimistic.In 29K of driving, it has only presented one fault. An oxygen sensor failed. Other than that, the car has had the usual oil changes and tire rotations. No rattles. The hvac system is powerful and works for more than a year at a time. Compared to the first 29K of the smart, the hybrid is a marvel.It is like driving a turbine car. It is so cool to drive in full electric mode. Backing up is neat because there is no reverse in the transmission, the electric motor does all the work.It has excellent ground clearance so deep snow is not a problem, quite unlike the little cabrio hiding in the garage.

So if the battery is low on juice, you have to push it to go backwards?

It is like driving a turbine car. It is so cool to drive in full electric mode. Backing up is neat because there is no reverse in the transmission, the electric motor does all the work.

So if the battery is low on juice, you have to push it to go backwards?

You're joking Mike,right?

It does sound like it could be a concern, since Mike has commented before about a hybrid running out of battery when driving in the mountains. I am curious about this as well.MG

Theres nothing to worry about folks. The engine will either start to run to charge the battery, or else it may be running all the time.It depends on what type of hybrid system exists on this vehicle.It certainly won't leave you stranded!

what a joke. you pay 25,000 for an suv and 5 years later the batteries are no good and they cost 12,000. the whole truck is only worth 12,000 so who is going to want it?

Yes and no TJ Hooker style J-turns would be possible either. Oh the shame!

The engine comes on to power the battery. The car works as a series-hybrid in reverse. The engine doesn't power the car (this is for the full hybrids).Our '05 Prius is 5 years old and a new battery is US$2,250.... If I needed one but it's still under warranty.

Who cares about the cost of the batteries? Ford warranties the batteries way longer than I expect to keep the car. They don't seem to be problematic in the Ford and Toyota hybrid vehicles and some of these have been on the road for quite a while.Of course, some people pay $8,000 for replacement three cylinder 799 cc smart engines.

ya but that's what i'm saying, who is going to want to buy it from you 4 years old with a ticking time bomb. and if you sell it before that the next guy does it. how are we saving money or getting good value for a car? at least a 3 cyl car gets 60+ mpg for the life of it to outweigh the costs.

Well if one has a hybrid and it's not used regularly, the battery will kakk sooner than it would in a taxi. The one in our HCHII at work seems a bit weak after two years of occasional to light use.

I'll have to take the Prius at my workplace out for a drive then. It's a 2001 Prius and sits on the lot most of the time.

It is possible that Honda hybrids just suck..... ;)

lol. <shrug> My experience is with Toyota. I'm still learning from the HCH and Insight owners. I've driven them (2nd Gen of each vehicle) but never owned them.

As someone who owns both a smart and an Escape Hybrid, can we either close this totally off topic thread or rename it to reflect the direction it has been following for quite some time now?

Done. The off-off-topic posts are in the Ether, while the turbo posts are in a relevant thread.