Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobb Todd

Tire Sizing

18 posts in this topic

I just purchased a set of after market rims in 6" by 15" sizes.Suggestions are for 175/55 all round, 195/55 all round, 195/50 all round or 175/55 F and 195/50 R.I haven't been unhappy with the stock size tires on stock rims. I would like better handling in the wind but can't afford a harsher ride as my gravel road to the highway is already loosening my fillings.I gather as you move up to 16" or 17" you run the risk of a harsher ride.Can you give me some idea of which sizes YOU used and how it worked out ?TIABobb

175/55 all around, Hankook Ventus, wet performance is very good, wear seems to be good so far, better than the OEM Continentals for grip. The 175's all around seem to give very neutral handling. If you want a stickier tire you will need to go wider.

The front and rear rims are 6" wide?

..................Yes. They have different offsets but both 6 by 15Bobb

Weird. I would recommend at most 195s on the front, but watch for fender clearance issues.

The 175/F and 195/R is acknowledged by tuners to be the best/safest combination. This gives you the improved performance you are seeking, while retaining the design engineers' staggered configuration to prevent oversteer.

That said, I agree with Huronlad ^ that 175s all-round is a preferred choice, so long as you have compensated the stagger by balancing the suspension to properly distribute the car's weight to achieve the same oversteer-prevention.

Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

Bobb, can you show us a photo of one of your new rims? I'm currently leaning toward Corelines as my next purchase. Thank you.Cappytanjack ...

Bobb, can you show us a photo of one of your new rims? I'm currently leaning toward Corelines as my next purchase. Thank you.Cappytanjack ...

.....................Won't have them for another week or so. They are Michalaks. Will post when possibleBobb

The 175/F and 195/R is acknowledged by tuners to be the best/safest combination. This gives you the improved performance you are seeking, while retaining the design engineers' staggered configuration to prevent oversteer.

That said, I agree with Huronlad ^ that 175s all-round is a preferred choice, so long as you have compensated the stagger by balancing the suspension to properly distribute the car's weight to achieve the same oversteer-prevention.

Bil :sun:

Unlikely I will fiddle with suspension so 175/195 will be my choice

Bobb

..................Unlikely I will fiddle with suspension so 175/195 will be my choiceBobb

Not many manufacturers make a 175/195 in the same tire pattern. IMO stay clear of Bridgestone B340's. If you travel a lot of gravel the Vredestein Quatrac 2 are a nice all season ( and I believe one of the few all seasons to be winter rated ). The wider fronts will extend outside the wheel well. A set of front splash guards will stop a lot of stone chips on the rocker panels. I use the Vred 175/195 combo for winters. The wider tires are great for going over snow rather than through it. I've made it up my driveway in 9" of fresh snow without dragging the belly pans. Also seem to pull to the side less when the snow drifts onto one side of the road. The Vreds are suitable for my daily driving in winter (great in snow, not so much on ice), and still give the benefit of wider tires when the weather is nice.Dennis

Not many manufacturers make a 175/195 in the same tire pattern

I found that to be the case. It was VERY difficult to find a company that made the same tire in those two sizes. When I purchased rubber to put on my new strikeline wheels I had to go with Hankook Ventus V4 175/55/R15 on the front and Falken Ziex 195/50/R15 on the rears.

Hi, I installed the Continental Contact Pro that Eddy sold and shipped to me in Montreal. 175 in front and 195 in back. The difference was amazing! The car handles like a go cart, you can scare yourself turning corners at ever higher speeds. Handling in the wind on the highway is great. The car jiggles but stays on track even in strong cross winds. With 175's in front you can feel the steering is stiffer and requires a little more work to turn the steering wheel then with the stock 155's or 145's. I think getting 195's in front could be overkill for most drivers and the steering would be that much stiffer to turn. I searched for months for 175's and 195's in the same tire brand and make and I only found Eddy was able to supply the tires. They seem to be much more available in Europe but virtually nothing in Canada. In any case, Eddy was a pleasure to do business with and it only took about a week from the time I ordered to having the tires delivered from BC to Montreal. Wider tires ( 175/55 front with 195/50 back on 15" wheels ) are probably the best bang for the buck as far as the better performance to $$$ ratio. Regards... Steve

I have used 175 all around on roadster steelies, they were eco-contacts, and that worked well.If you can get the 175/55 195/50 combo, that is also ideal. I have used those sizes on Corelines, but the fronts were EcoContact, and the rear were either Sport or ProContact, again, there was limited availability at the time. (2006/2007)fasteddy is a great choice for getting tires Canada wide, and if you are in the States, you have a good online option at tirerack. Tirerack are hugely expensive though to get delivery into Canada, so be wary of going that route. I'd choose flyingtiger any day over delivery from the States directly into Canada via UPS...

If you do want to buy from Tirerack, the best way (if you're close to the border) is to have the tires delivered to a U.S. mailbox outlet and pick them up there. All you'll pay is a small handling fee plus GST/PST at the border.Saves huge vs. shipping across the 49th...

Don't forget Tirerack's option of sending them directly to a US installer. Theses are listed on their website and have install prices listed. You can also ship to a US Fedex or UPS terminal to hold it for you and they will call you when they are in also. Last time I did this there was no extra Fedex charge because they save the cost of delivery to a street address.