Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

This is probably the best looking smart I've seen yet. Excellent work Coast Steve, very tasteful.http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?act=atta...st&id=23114

Thanks a bunch Kenny, I've taken the Mclaren decals off the side though,I like to play around and see how I like it for a while, so I do different things to see what works and what doesn't.Steve

Thanks a bunch Kenny, I've taken the Mclaren decals off the side though,

I like to play around and see how I like it for a while, so I do different things to see what works and what doesn't.

Steve

Have you considered "smoking" the front lights a little? This is far from the best example but the idea is there

Posted Image

Added Limo tint to all windows except the front one. (ahhh, privacy is once again mine). Pictures to follow. Another plus for the limo tint is that since the smart's sun visors don't swivel to cover the side windows, the added tint really helps on those bright days. It also helps when you have those morons with the 'projector' headlights get on your butt and blind you from behind. Got the wheel bolts chrome-plated. They look soooooo much better than rusty ones. :lol:

In preparation for FastEddy's visit to Toronto, I installed a cruise control stalk on my car. Very easy and only takes about 5 minutes.

Don't forget to install the small connector; and make sure it is tight. It could be tricky to get a good contact sometimes.See you in June.

Have you considered "smoking" the front lights a little? This is far from the best example but the idea is there

Posted Image

No Kenny, I never have, but I'm wondering how much light it would stop from hitting the road, I need all I can get out here in the sticks.

Looks cool though.

Steve

Also 100% illegal in many jurisdictions, including Ontario and Québec (though I'm not sure about BC). But then again, many of us have modded our headlamp assemblies in a variety of ways that contravene Transport Canada TSDs and provincial codes, so if you're not risk-averse, do what turns you on. :)

I find the smoked headlight crew is in the same camp as those in the eighties who used to put wind deflectors on their rear hatchback wiper arms (i.e. not the brightest lights on the block, literally) ;)

Yeah, but even I have to admit that the painted BRABUS headlamps are cool-looking.

Those, yes; I just mean the actual smoked covers are geeky.

Yeah, but each his (or her) own, eh? :)There's a bajillion folks out there who think we and our smarts -- and the things we do to our smarts -- are just dumb.

I have done it on my other car and upgraded to HID lights as well. It helps blend the car colors (especially on a black vehicle). It would be interesting to see that done on a smart. To each their own, I guess.

[Yesterday]

[*]Fixed the lower bolt on the rear valance hanger.

[*]Jury-rigged a fastener for the front splitter. Seems OK for now. Didn't have the tail off so I didn't replace the stripped-head bolt on the crash bar.

[*]After having lubed the doors and clutch actuator the other day, went on squeak-and-rattle patrol; fixed a BIG rattle that's been bugging me for years -- the tailgate panel!

[*]Ordered a replacement suspension cap [grrrr] and 451 cup holder from Flying Tiger

My car was at the body shop so I have not seen it. They tell me it survived the fall? I am mainly concerned about the suspension and engine mounting bolts, I don't expect too much else would be structurally compromised.I have an 09 as a loaner, it it just not the same as the 450, the crawl feature is the devil and the all-season tires are greatly lacking. It is nice having proper heat though.

Where (what dealership) did this happen at? :o

London M-B.

I was afraid of that :huh: I hope - as was mentioned by another member - they treat you royally after that.

Changed my oil today. The aftermarket warranty is up so I can now do this myself, 143,517 km. Added a spin-on oil filter adapter and supplied MANN filter. They have been squirreled away since the fall of 2008 I think. 3L of oil shows up about 3/4 from min to max on the dipstick.post-5864-1269835385_thumb.jpgWhere are people in southwestern Ontario recycling their waste oil?Following the post from Bil, lubricated and greased my waste gate as I was subjected to a few LIMP mode moments this past week.post-5864-1269835416_thumb.jpgI have now had every panel off my car for one service related item or another. Also noticed my car has one of the bare stranded copper engine grounds. Changing that will be put on the to-do list for the next Saturday I am at work.post-5864-1269835450_thumb.jpg

Edited by Huronlad

Where are people in southwestern Ontario recycling their waste oil?

Here's where I've been going: Google MapsFantastic facility, and even shows you the mass of you plus your car on the way out (920 kg - I'm fatter than I thought?!). Most big cities have a waste oil deposit centre though, where you just dump your bottles in a big drum.-Iain

Every two weeks the recycle truck comes to my house and takes my recycle goods including used oil if it is in a 4 litre jug and I have marked it as used oil...no charge ...no muss or fuss. I use my empty washer fluid jugs for this.

Installed a 451 dual cup holder and put on my summer wheels/tires. The 451 cup holder is much nicer than the factory 450 model.

Put on the summer rubber/original alloys (amazing how sore and crippled I've become since doing it this afternoon).William.... how much for your 451 cup holder?? Did you source it at MB London??