Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

I've been scratched since July 27th :D:D:D Glamour shot below!

I was wondering who bought that set from the UK.. Colour me jelous!You're welcome for the post! :) Edited by MightyMouseTech

Installed a TomTom GPS and a holder for my IPhone.......nice!

Where did you put the GPS?Bil :sun:

Where did you put the GPS?Bil :sun:

Just like that........ There are little "installation disks" for the suction cups, that way the TomTom can be installed on the dash.......Solid and easy to remove.post-8446-1282826818_thumb.jpg

Removed my door handles and lubed em, then lubed up the wastegate.I'm a bit of a tool as I started spraying lube around the wastegate and noticed how black and soot filledthe spray was. I kept spraying, determined to get the area clean. Then, after several minutes, I rememberedI was using Graphite lube! (which is Black in color) - at least I know it's well lubed now.I also tried installing an aftermarket stereo but I didn't have the proper antenna adapter.Does anyone know if the 2008 Smart antenna adapter will fit my 2005?I ask because the only ones available on ebay are for 2008+

Huronlad, I expect a well-documented how-to about powering the GPS from one of the accessory points on the SAM. :DB) Those mats look nice. Are they p/leather? I imagine they're much more easy to clean than the standard smart mats and the oem (bubbly) all-weathers.

Just for you Brian, I will document how I wire a GPS directly to the SAM, not that it should be overly complex. I will get to it this coming long weekend.The mats are the finest Bulgarian faux leather, no child labour for me, only sweat-shop grannies. They make the mats with a little bit of extra love, something greatly lacking from the indentured youth of China. They are much easier to clean. I still need to invest in a set of the 451 all weather mats for winter.Over the weekend I replaced my turbo inlet seal. Luckily for M-B none of their engineers were nearby or they would likely have been maimed, at the very least kicked in the shins. Also changed the transmission fluid and lubed the clutch actuator. Ordered parts to mount my intercooler scoop. I am going to modify it to make it easy to partially remove for winter.

Today I bought some nice 451 rubber floor mats. They have hold downs for them so I won't have to be trying to flip that lone strip out from under my feet on the driver's side. I also was looking at GPS units and discovered a real bargain at Staples. (ok - it's a clearance to make way for new models) The mount is a little different in that the unit snaps onto the mounting device via a 'hoop'. This allows the flexibility of the usual ball joint and then you can spin the unit so it is oriented to suit you. I also discovered that you can use some 2 sided tape and velcro to hold the unit to your dash or whereever........ :speak_cool: Then I bought some soft fuzzy fabric to match the car and make some seat covers. Going to have 3 so I can rotate them. :rolleyes: Ish

Finally got around to actually installing my angel eyes. I removed the city light plug, and plugged the angel eyes into it, behind the reflectors. Bonus simplicity for the DealExtreme angel eyes! I may have forgotten something else that I did recently, but I'm not sure...

Looks really good, love the scratch black panels too.I just ordered those myself, plus an 8000k H.I.D. kit (H7, hope that's right) and I'm going to paint the housing black too

8000K? That's almost purple!

Is it really? I saw a pic online, it looked like a nice clean white, I was worried the 6500 was going to be too yellow or something. We shall see, they should be in soon :D

The stock (OE) halogen bulbs are around 3000K; super-white halogens (PIAAs, Osram Nightbreakers) are closer to 4800K; flash bulbs are around 5800K; 5000K HIDs are described as "white with a hint of blue"; 6000K HIDs are considered "blue-white"; 7000K are "blue with a hint of white"; 8000K are "blue."

I got a chance to drive the white car for the first time in two weeks today! She is so sexy.

Yesterday I changed my oil pan to the one with the drain plug. Thanks George!I'd recommend this mod to anyone and everyone. While I did that I changed the oil filterair filter and thanks to Duck's video I lubed my actuator. - Shifts like a dream now.I also made some really cool 5 1/4" speaker boxes for the rear of the car and blended them in withthe plastic side covers in the trunk (cabrio). I painted them to match the body color andfor a non-installer of stereos and such, I'd say I 'm quite pleased.Once my front speaker boxes arrive from Eddy I'll change out the stereo as well.Lots to do, so little time (and money).

Yesterday I changed my oil pan to the one with the drain plug. Thanks George!

I'd recommend this mod to anyone and everyone.

May I ask why you think so?

I've never had as much pleasure changing oil as I have with the extractor -- drop the hose down the dipstick tube and walk away, no muss, no fuss, no jacking required. I can change my oil and filter in ten minutes and not get dirty.

+1All my cars have the oil changed with the Pela extractor now, and two of them do have drain plugs. So clean, it's sinful.

Me, too. I change the oil on the Accord and mom's Corolla with the Mityvac, and it actually gets more out than the drain.

May I ask why you think so?

I guess I'm just old school. ;) I've never tried with an extractor and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using one.Even with the drain plug I'll probably drop the oil pan once a year to give it a good cleaning.I found two or three large clumps of what I guessed was paper from the oil filter and loads ofsilicone from the last tool who dropped the pan.I'm not questioning your decision, but how do you know you've sucked all the oil out when youuse the extractor? because it stops?

I got the pan w/drain conversion, along with the spin-on adapter so that my long-time indie mechanic can do an oil and filter change for me. I buy the supplies and he puts it up on the hoist and changes it for $20 labour. Oil and filter disposal/recycling included.Plus, if I am away from home, any shop on the street can do an oil/filter change with off-the-shelf oil and canister filter.B :sun:

I'm not questioning your decision, but how do you know you've sucked all the oil out when you use the extractor? because it stops?

No, because I add 3.0 L when I fill -- I use a spin-on filter -- and the level is exactly where it's supposed to be, about 2/3-way between "add" and "full" on the dip-stick. If I didn't get every last srop out I would have some oil left in my bottles when filling. I usually follow the Assyst system's advice and change the oil and filter when it indicates there are less than 1000 Km to go, and I almost always withdraw 2.75 L or so. I rarely add oil between changes.ETA: If the extractor is good enough for MB, BMW and Audi dealerships to use -- almost exclusively -- it's good enough for me. Edited by SameGuy

I was wondering about adding the oil drain but my mechanic doesn't think it's worth the trouble. He has the device to remove the oil.Ish.

It's have to be a AWFULLY long road trip to require an oil change en route. Like 9000+ km. And in that case, there is always some club member with a Pela ready to help (or a M-B dealer).

I know some people are happy to get their hands dirty, tinkering with their cars. Me, not so much. Easiest way out works for me.