Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

I know this doesn't count as today but ...Last night I drove my Smart to the Lumber store and picked up a ton of wood! It looked so fun All my neighbors took my picture. I had 15 - 8' 2x4's hanging out of my Smartie! with me (Not a very small man) in the front.Good times!

I know this doesn't count as today but ...Last night I drove my Smart to the Lumber store and picked up a ton of wood! It looked so fun All my neighbors took my picture. I had 15 - 8' 2x4's hanging out of my Smartie! with me (Not a very small man) in the front.Good times!

So = where's the picture???Ish.

I Filled up with diesel...However...I filled up at 598.9KM and I still had 1.0L left on tank there for I got over 600KM on one tank! 3.78L/100KM on this tank of fuel! so excited about this!

Mercedes will sell you the can for about $17 or so. There is also a bottle of cleaner, but if you have been keeping the roof clean, it likely won't need it. Mercedes has care products for all aspects of your car. I think whoever makes Meguiars' does some of the stuff.It is preventative maintenance. Whether you do it or not depends on how you want the car to look. The roof is massively expensive to replace and almost six years in, mine still looks good.

ianjay - you say you're six years in and yours looks good, but didn't quite mention if you've been using the waterproofing stuff yourself - have you, please? Edited by Toolman

Nice one, caddyman!

Three days ago, the tank was near empty, and the top end had been sounding a little "tickety", so I dumped in a whole bottle of Milligan's (since I have a few on hand and no access to B100).

Hit 0.5L this morning and, though the temperature dipped last night, the car sounds s m o o t h! Added 20L at the pump, and we're a happy team again.

Bil :sun:

What is Milligan's?Ish.

It is essentially concentrated Canola-based biodiesel "with secret sauce".

Milligan’s Diesel Fuel Conditioner is a one of a kind, highly effective treatment that increases lubricity and fuel economy, as well as cleaning injectors. Through years of research Milligan has developed proprietary technology to isolate the lubricity compounds of canola. Blending these compounds with Milligan’s high quality bio-diesel produces excellent lubricity. Milligan’s Diesel Fuel Conditioner is the right choice for your diesel engine.

READ ABOUT IT HEREDisclosure: I am listed as a dealer, but I make so little on the turnaround that it's really not worth my while. They have an impoverished wholesale plan. I buy a case for myself every year and sell one or two bottles to other smarties.Bil :sun:

Bil, check the timing chain and make sure it's being tensioned correctly (take off filler cap with engine idling? Use stethoscope?). I have been trying to train myself to hear imminent chain tensioner failure.But if the additive made the sound go away it is more likely a combustion chamber noise you were hearing.

I bought a few things for Snowball and Rana today: oil and air filters, brake pads, a luggage cover for Snowball, some spare BRABUS badges and rear reflector tape too. For Rana the frog-smart, two ball joint sets etc.....

Bil, check the timing chain and make sure it's being tensioned correctly (take off filler cap with engine idling? Use stethoscope?). I have been trying to train myself to hear imminent chain tensioner failure.But if the additive made the sound go away it is more likely a combustion chamber noise you were hearing.

I listened with my mechanic's stethoscope, Mike, and didn't hear what I would describe as sufficient frequency to call it chain noise. I still ought to do a pull-up test to see if there is any slack, but I doubt it. I hadn't thought to remove the 710 cap while idling... not sure what that would tell me. I've been thinking, like you, that the sound is related to the combustion chamber - maybe a bit of carbon that (I hope) has now been dissolved and sent on its way.B :sun:

A bad tensioner would let the chain move around a lot - one side of it should be really tight with the engine running.I think your additive just made the combustion quieter.

Installed strip LED's across the back window. Hooked to the stop/turnsignal line. REALLY noticable at night. Available 2 in a package in white or red for about $25 at Walmart.There is slight distortion in the picture due to the brillliance of the lights.

post-7529-1287294006_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leadwing

Installed strip LED's across the back window. Hooked to the stop/turnsignal line. REALLY noticable at night. Available 2 in a package in white or red for about $25 at Walmart.

There is slight distortion in the picture due to the brillliance of the lights.

Now add a blinker to really get attention!

Had a pair of cops point and chuckle to each other when they pulled up behind me at a light ;)

Posted Image

Now add a blinker to really get attention!

Had a pair of cops point and chuckle to each other when they pulled up behind me at a light ;)

Posted Image

Blinker? If you mean flashing light, as in turn signals...that is the way they are hooked up :)

Blinker? If you mean flashing light, as in turn signals...that is the way they are hooked up :)

See http://www.comagination.com/bflasher.htm

IBF4 Very small Intelligent Brake Flasher (IBF4) with about 4 FLASHES/3 seconds and then stays steady ON until brake is released.

This VisiStop intelligent brake lights flasher helps drivers behind you quickly notice your braking! It works great against “tail-gaters” in moving traffic by lightly applying your brakes to alert them to back off! You can brake flash all your lights or just one like the center light. All lights will flash together in sync.

Thanks Bil... I actually had one on one of my bikes.. never thought about it for the car, but that clarifys the 'blinker' thing. :)Ron :bike:

Bil, check the timing chain and make sure it's being tensioned correctly (take off filler cap with engine idling? Use stethoscope?). I have been trying to train myself to hear imminent chain tensioner failure.

But if the additive made the sound go away it is more likely a combustion chamber noise you were hearing.

OK.... don't remove the oil cap with the engine running. Ptui! Unless you like the taste of oil - the chain whirling around the upper cog sprays oil out the hole!

Bil :senile: ... you can call me "Freckles"

So what I did to my two cabriolets today is wash them, scrub the soft tops with the smart soft top cleaner, let them both dry in the bright sunshine and then masked the cars off and treated each car to the impregnating spray that should be used every year.

Oops, I didn't mention that? ;)

Chain looks OK?

Looks fine. I'm certain whatever clickety noise there is, is not coming from the chain. It's got to be valve-ish I guess - or whatever :dunno:

In any event, I'm not highly concerned at this point.

hope it was gulping de-mineralized water.the threads about battery problems share one constant - low voltage in the battery causes unusual problems.I don't think you should wait too much longer - my battery was replaced by M-B because it wasn't quite up to snuff under warranty.

Yesterday the new wheels, winter tires and Smart wheel covers were installed. They look great and ride along nicely. While the wheels were off Randy checked the brakes. The rears are really good - hardly any dust. I have a 'spot' on the right front rotor. If it stays as is I'll leave it until Feb. I'm told there's a chance it could sort itself out. Hope springs eternal. Ish.

Edited by ishkabibble

Today decided to mesh the grill on my car, nothing too fancy just want to slow some of the debris. Went well not too noticeable *wanted it that way* and was easy :Dpost-7297-1288300691_thumb.jpgBrit :D