Guinness

What Did You Do To Your Smart Today?

5,057 posts in this topic

lubed the clutch actuator with the description on this forum. tried to figure out the noises from the front and rear suspension...

Put the strikelines on the green car after 23,000 km on winter rubber. The car sure looks a lot better on them! The car is a bit over 193,000 km....

23000??? That's almost the life of the tires -- I got about 25000 on my Conti Winters before getting the Nokians. The Contis have barely any tread left.

There's another 20K+ left in them and they're two years old.

But 23000 in one winter? Seems like a LOT. My tires went on on December 15 and came off last week (about three weeks later than usual).

The km were put on by my children who drive the car 180 km a day on weekdays and some more on weekends. All since October 2010 until now, yes, 23K km.

My bike had a flat front tire this morning, so I uncovered the smart, screwed the antenna back in, threw my stuff on the passenger seat, warmed up the glow plugs and...dead battery!I have a battery maintainer hooked up but the cord had worked its way out of the wall and was not making a proper connection. The car has been sitting for about one month.Oh well, since it had begun to rain, I took my 21 year old Ranger instead. It always starts.My day will end with a lap of Toronto expressways. That should do it.

Installed a JVC stereo headunit & a 12 CD holder ashtray conversion, put my summer tires on , changed oil & vacuumed my air filter.

I Let the little GT be a part of the action today, while we were preparing a site for my new shop, building a road and cleaning up junk on the new property.It sat quietly with my outrigger on the hill and watched the fun in the rain. :P

post-3704-1302826623_thumb.jpg

post-3704-1302826636_thumb.jpg

Finally filled the windshield washer reservoir. Holds a lot.Ish.

Does it ever! I got one of those four litre jugs and it kept going and going. I think there was maybe 1/2 litre left in the jug! Found a summer-grade-with-bug-wash at Lordco for $2.79.

Panel Change day!I put together the panels first, which took 45 minutes, on the nose. Taking a lunch break, then I'll be trying to beat my 3 hour time for swapping the panels off.EDIT: Beaten! 1 hour, 45 minutes to remove the greens and put on the Scratch Blacks.This just leaves the likely 30 minutes to wipe down, disassemble and put away the greens for the summer.

Edited by FlossyTheSmart

I put eyelashes (yes, really) on my tach and clock pods...not exactly performance enhancing :P, but they were crying out to be anthropomorphized!

I put eyelashes (yes, really) on my tach and clock pods...not exactly performance enhancing :P, but they were crying out to be anthropomorphized!

Eyelashes?? :oI love it!

This just goes to prove that being'smart' doesn't nessessarily mean boring. :lol:

What did I do with my smart today? .. nothing yet, but drove the wheels off it yesterday in that nasty wind and rain to visit my sister, brother-in-law and an old motorcyclist (fellow competitor) from the 1950's era of motorcycle competition. Round trip of about 500 kms. Fuel consumption took a big hit due to the very high winds. (4.96 L / 100 k)

Ron :bike:

i toasted my ecu trying to remap my 800 cdi/03 the (-) sighn come onand the shop said maybe i tryed with wrong map

Edited by smatakis

Yesterday I sprayed my side marker lights with VHT Nite shades, so they now match with the black panels. I'll get some pictures up soon, but it is currently raining, so not too conducive to photo taking.

Pictures! The orange bulbs I currently have kinda suck, so I've got new ones on the way. Taking pictures of lights never works very well either.

post-4936-1303342967_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1303342976_thumb.jpg

This past Tuesday Baby E. went in for her service. She has a new air filter and intake hose. The one that was in there had quite a bit of wear on it in one area. She got a new headlight bulb (are they gold or platinum?) and one of the small bulbs. She'll go back in while I'm away to have a seal replaced on the transmission where it joins something, a couple more little bulbs and my husband will put the summer tires back on for me. I should be a big girl and do it myself, shouldn't I?I think that's all to report this time. I did find it curious that there were absolutely no service records for this car. Not hugely concerned because they can't foretell the future but given the nature of the little car, I think it's odd.Ish.

Our dealer charges about $14 for a headlight bulb, installed!So today I checked the green car's brake pads....they have 75,000 km on them and about 2/3 of the pad thickness is left. Plus there is no sign of corrosion. So I cleaned off the rust from the pad holder, put a skiff of never-sieze on and I will check them again in 6 months. It has a squealing alternator belt, but not having an E-10 socket yet, that will have to wait. Strange, because the dealer replaced it a few months back.....

Our dealer charges about $14 for a headlight bulb, installed!

$40 here in Kelowna: $20 for the bulb and $20 to install.Of course, I don't need to bother anymore since going HID ;)

It has a squealing alternator belt, but not having an E-10 socket yet, that will have to wait. Strange, because the dealer replaced it a few months back.....

Mine too! I gave them the belts to do last year when they did other work (now I don't remember what) but it seems like less than a year ago -- so say 15,000 Km. There has been an intermittent belt squeal on start-up since the beginning of winter, usually on rainy days or when the previous drive was slush-sogged. Then again, it was the same mechanic who told me my winter tires were too big in the back (185s), who had previously questioned my reasoning for changing the tranny fluid and for lubing the clutch actuator, and who also over-tightened a wheel bolt. The same one who lost an EGR gasket in an intake that then shredded a turbo and destroyed an engine. Needless to say I specified a different mechanic do the last warranty work this time.

For some reason QC is more "closed" on Easter Monday than Good Friday, so I can't pick up my car today (I was out of town all last week). Neighbour says they changed the EGR (it was more than 3/4 blocked but had not yet thrown a code, my first EGR, never been cleaned), changed the IC fan, and replaced the broken clip/belt on the roof's right side. That part comes in a matched set of two so they are leaving me the second one; apparently it's not as difficult to replace as we imagined and I could do it myself in an afternoon if I were so inclined. They could not reproduce the sucking sound after the EGR swap so they are assuming that was the problem, and the main cause of the smoking -- they know about the remap -- as well as the lowered top-end speed and rather poor FE of late. Neighbour said he went on a quick road test and quoting Carroll Shelby he said it "goes like stink".

The dealer here says smart is on the third iteration of EGR for the 450. Anyone changing one should be sure to get the most recent "new and improved" version!